46 replies to this topic

#31 OFFLINE   Sonoftherock

Sonoftherock

Director of Football

• Moderators
  • 13,190 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:08 PM

Oh well this is good news no matter what the outcome.
They wouldnt talk to him if they didn't have a realistic wage bill to get him(or would they?!), so looks like we are showing a bit of ambition.

Totally agree with that. He won't sign for us, but at least we're asking.
"Whenever I'm in Edinburgh I roll with the T.Y.T (Tollcross Young Team)" - Romeo, So Solid Crew

#32 OFFLINE   Mr Chips

Mr Chips

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Joined 14-November 06

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:48 PM

Heard that he was meant to go and speak with Hibs but never bothered to turn up!

#33 OFFLINE   Tyrant

Tyrant

Senior Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Joined 28-January 06

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:19 AM

Hugh Keevans saying he spoke to Hibs today.

Dons send Guffs Down

#34 OFFLINE   Tyrant

Tyrant

Senior Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Joined 28-January 06

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:21 AM

Heard that he was meant to go and speak with Hibs but never bothered to turn up!

Obviously he was so convinced by JC that he didn't bother wasting his time! :) :hysterical:

Dons send Guffs Down

#35 OFFLINE   cowie06

cowie06

Under 19

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Joined 03-December 06

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:24 AM

Obviously he was so convinced by JC that he didn't bother wasting his time! :) :hysterical:

:hysterical: hope you are right :hysterical:

#36 OFFLINE   Penfold-

Penfold-

Senior Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • Joined 14-October 06

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:02 AM

Quotes in The Sun saying that he's met with Calderwood and Collins but says he's keeping his options open and will be a Falkirk player until the summer. Also said he's heard nothing of Old Firm interest so could just be paper talk.

#37 OFFLINE   none-more-red

none-more-red

Good Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Joined 18-December 06

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:17 AM

CALDERWOOD'S A GOW GETTER

CHARLIE ALLAN

10:50 - 04 January 2007
Aberdeen hope to steal Falkirk's Alan Gow away from a host of other clubs in the summer.

Dons boss Jimmy Calderwood has held talks with Gow, whose contract with the Bairns expires at the end of the season, with the aim to sign the attacking midfielder on a Bosman.

Aberdeen's Scottish Cup rivals Hibs have also spoken to Gow, who joined the Bairns from Airdrie United in a 50,000 deal.

Celtic, Rangers and Wolves are also monitoring the 24-year-old, who scored a hat-trick for Falkirk against Dundee United on Tuesday.

Calderwood travelled south to speak to Gow after watching yesterday's SPL Reserve game against Dunfermline at Montrose.

Calderwood said: "It was just a matter of letting the lad know we are keen to sign him.

"There are other clubs interested so I was making our sales pitch, emphasising the role I could see him playing at Aberdeen.

"Gow is a very talented player and I'm always looking to improve my squad.

"But we are only interested in signing him if Gow becomes a free agent in the summer.

"We won't be involved if other clubs come in with bids of 300,000 or anything like that in an effort to sign Gow this month."

Gow offered the Dons some hope by insisting he plans to stay with Falkirk until the end of the season.

He is also happy with the way the meeting with Calderwood went.

"I will be a Falkirk player until the summer and continue to do my best for them," he said.

"I've had good meetings with Jimmy Calderwood and John Collins and I've said all along I want to weigh up all my options.

"I've not made any sort of decision yet."

The Dons and Hibs could be scuppered if either of the Old Firm do actually express an interest, though. Gow admitted he would jump at the chance to go to either of them.

He said: "I trained with Celtic and Rangers when I was a kid but nothing ever came of it.

"I would be delighted if one them showed an interest again."

Calderwood still has no plans to make any fresh signings this month.

He brought veteran striker Craig Brewster in but Richie Byrne's imminent recovery from a hamstring injury has put plans to sign another left-back on hold.

"Once Richie is back we will have a pretty strong squad," he said.

"I'm delighted for Richie because it looked as if his season was over at one stage.

"But he will start training again tomorrow and is expected to be fit to play within three weeks."

#38 OFFLINE   swifty

swifty

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Joined 14-January 06

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:24 AM

Calderwood is sounding Gow out for a move to Iprix in the summer.

When Le Guen loses his battle with The Crab, Tango and Sash are certs to replace him.

#39 OFFLINE   BigAl

BigAl

Senior Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • Joined 06-October 05

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:18 PM

Hibs confirm that Gow won't be joining them, whilst JC quoted on Teletext tonight saying he remains hopeful that Gow will become a Don.

#40 OFFLINE   paulkaneatemyhamster

paulkaneatemyhamster

Wide Right winger .. with no pace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts
  • Joined 26-November 05

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:45 PM

All AFC is say to the lad, here's what we can offer you , sure we can't compete with the OF in terms of wages, but alan gow could be a first team regular for AFC, and a huge fans favouirte, where as he'd be a bench warmer at either of the OF

it's the only edge we'd have over the OF in attracting other SPL players - the chance of regular first team football.

BOOOOOOOOOOOO

#41 OFFLINE   Nespa

Nespa

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,114 posts
  • Joined 26-November 05

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:50 PM

All AFC is say to the lad, here's what we can offer you , sure we can't compete with the OF in terms of wages, but alan gow could be a first team regular for AFC, and a huge fans favouirte, where as he'd be a bench warmer at either of the OF

it's the only edge we'd have over the OF in attracting other SPL players - the chance of regular first team football.

Just hope Jimmy has given him the good sales pitch!!

Posted Image

#42 OFFLINE   paulkaneatemyhamster

paulkaneatemyhamster

Wide Right winger .. with no pace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts
  • Joined 26-November 05

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:02 PM

On this vein of form though he would walk into Rangers :laughing:

But form is but temporary

Sure AFC's boo boys are bad, but nothing compared to those at Ibrox

with all due respect lads like alan gow, Chris Burke, Gavin Rae , Hutton & Smith aren't going to win Rangers the league so have a limited future at Ibrox regardless of who the manager is

Watty can spoute all he wants about Scottish lads getting their chance but put simply these lads aint going to win you the title but may get you into Europe at UEFA cup level.

All any young SPL player has to do before joining the OF is look at young Pearson at Celtic, he's lost about 5 years of his career by sitting on the bench at the tattie bowl.

The same applies to Brown & Thompson at Hibs - certainly not good enough for a title side. To be honest, I doubt they'd get a regular gig for AFC at the moment never mind the OF.

4 million the pair ? you're having a laugh.

BOOOOOOOOOOOO

#43 OFFLINE   red donut

red donut

Breakthrough Player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Joined 30-November 06

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:14 PM

"Gow is a very talented player and I'm always looking to improve my squad".

So why Jimmy did you not look at him when he was at Airdrie and make an offer. He was banging in the goals back then!!!
Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else -- and it hasn't -- it's that girls should stick to girl's sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such.....

#44 OFFLINE   vanderark14

vanderark14

Chairman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,799 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:25 PM

teletext reporting tonight that john collins has said alan gow will not be coming to hibs and that jc is hopeful he will come to us.
COYR

#45 OFFLINE   DodgyKeeper

DodgyKeeper

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts
  • Joined 18-January 06

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:42 PM

teletext reporting tonight that john collins has said alan gow will not be coming to hibs and that jc is hopeful he will come to us.

Positive development that. Ok he's probably going to Glasgow but if he does decide that warming a bench for the next three years doesn't constitute a wise career move then our chances have signicantly increased. Especially given the we'll be playing European football next season! :hysterical:

#46 OFFLINE   minijc

minijc

I own the atmosphere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,110 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:46 PM

This might sound stupid but most of my post already do, I think we should offer him a huge wage so he will come offer good bonuses and a good pay rise for when his contract runs out and signs a new one. We shouldoffer him the world as long as we get him i wouldna care what he is on.

A sad sad post-teen

#47 OFFLINE   bland_flabbis

bland_flabbis

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • Joined 25-November 06

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:54 PM

I can't see it happening to be honest, if Wolves have already had a bid rejected they'd surely be willing to offer him a contract for the summer and we can't compete with sides like Wolves as far as wages go. Unless he really wants to stay in Scotland to the point that he'd reject a much higher wage I don't think he'll sign for us.

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users