Paul Scholes

Paul Scholes has come out of retirement and will play for Manchester United until the end of the season.

The former England midfielder, 37, retired at the end of last season and has been coaching at United.

But he has been persuaded to help United through their injury crisis and is on the bench for Sunday's FA Cup third-round tie at Manchester City.

Scholes said: "I'm delighted the manager feels I can still make a contribution to the team."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16460340.stm

How long will it take for him to get match fitness/sharpness back? Feels like a desperate move from Ferguson.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You never lose the ability to play football, it's wired from birth, so he can probably come straight back in, on the basis that he was never one for the headless chicken approach in the first instance.

I'd say this is a wise move as all those other guys, Anderson, Cleverley all that jazz, Watford standard that crowd, pish.

He's lost his best midfielder to illness which has left a massive void.

He's been training every day since he's left United.

Regardless, this move is truly embarrassing and says a lot about United's you development. Fergie has went mental

Dinna buy the guff pish that Fergie is losing it, he's as sharp as a tack, and kens how to put a winning team on the park.

Embarrassing? Common sense, he has no midfield and needs someone he trusts in immediately.

You could go out and spend twenty million on some foreign cunt and he's garbage, like he did with Veron.

Better the devil you know.

Dinna buy the guff pish that Fergie is losing it, he's as sharp as a tack, and kens how to put a winning team on the park.

Embarrassing? Common sense, he has no midfield and needs someone he trusts in immediately.

You could go out and spend twenty million on some foreign cunt and he's garbage, like he did with Veron.

Better the devil you know.

Agree with this, I still think scholes can have a role to play, he was never a quick player who relied on speed, he uses his loaf and reads the game well and his passing is still immense, from what I saw last season!!

Good move this for Man U in my opinion

Regardless, this move is truly embarrassing and says a lot about United's you development. Fergie has went mental

Went mental? It's a clever move, United are short on players and have someone who is still in great shape wanting to play for them.

Desperation just about sums it up!!

Scholes approached Fergie and Fergie was more than happy to stick him in, he reckons he still had a season in him anyways.

I'd say this is a wise move as all those other guys, Anderson, Cleverley all that jazz, Watford standard that crowd, pish.

He's lost his best midfielder to illness which has left a massive void.

If you think that you obviously know nothing about man utds players.

It's a canny move given the injuries but I think it would have been better to promote from within. Morrison and Pogba would have been prime candidates I would have thought

They're pish, I've seen it, Fergie sees it, only the truly delusional would argue otherwise.

Without Fletcher they are exposed as the dross they always will be.

Are you on about centre-mids tup? Carrick is bowfing, Cleverly is quite good, but seems injury prone, Park is not a centre-mid in a million years, Giggs is finished which leaves Anderson who i think is slowly coming onto a game, but again is not Scholes.

They badly need to sign a creative midfielder this month.

Well Scholes' replacement Cleverly, a product of the youth development is injured...

Time will tell re Scholes. Fergie isn't lose it, he's the master.

Folk just like to have a pop at him.

Good move by both parties.

Scholes regretted his retirement immediately.

Been training witht he reserves and learning the ropes with them coaching wise, but still occassionally joins in with the 1st team and runs rings round some of the players.

What does that say about the overall quality of some of Man Utds current squad though?

Quite a bit.

Well it's pretty similar to the squad that won the league with additions of Young and Jones. Says more about the injury situation!

They're pish, I've seen it, Fergie sees it, only the truly delusional would argue otherwise.

Without Fletcher they are exposed as the dross they always will be.

Fletcher is good but a diff player to cleverly (and Anderson although his style has changed since fervid got hold of him). You want to see how good thi mid is then look at early season man u with those two playing.

Plus there are a number of youth team player who are regarded as big hopes.

I can see why hedidntspend 30+m on Wesley, despite the fact he is the 3rd best player in the world. Missed hischance 3 years ago

I can see why hedidntspend 30+m on Wesley, despite the fact he is the 3rd best player in the world. Missed hischance 3 years ago

It could be argued Sneijder is not worth 30+ million but maybe when you consider how effective he, in all liklihood, would have been to Man Utd's league chances and to keeping their current standing on a worldwide basis, it would have been not just 30 million invested in the player himself.

It could be argued Sneijder is not worth 30+ million but maybe when you consider how effective he, in all liklihood, would have been to Man Utd's league chances and to keeping their current standing on a worldwide basis, it would have been not just 30 million invested in the player himself.

Spot on, he was the player Man Utd needed to sign, not fucking Charlie Adam, he's shite.

Ferguson fu*ked up by not signing Charlie Adam...would have been a like for like replacement for Scholes...Scholes will do a job for them but as a 60min man.

:wtf:

Fergie fucked up by not signing Sneijder not some toothless Hun. Liverpool standard, Adam isnt going to be the difference in winning titles or not.

i see where your coming from.

i think sneijder is brilliant, he really is. if he was spainish we'd all wank over him all day long. the fact that folk bum xavi and iniesta like they are pele and maradona, and players like sneijder go unnoticed, does my head in.

in 2010 he was for me, easily the best player around. but the barcalona and spainish love in proved to much and he never got the recognition he deseved.

anyway he'd be a great player for man united, for any team in fact.

but one question arises? when he joined inter in 09 ( i think) why didnt ferguson buy him then? he cost inter less than 20m euros. that was roughly what valencia cost man u from wigwam. not having a go at valencia i like him, he's good and other clubs like real were after him too, but he's no sneijder.

he's now getting older, his price has gone up and his form has dipped (apparently).

fergie missed the boat with this one.

fergie let scholes and v d s play till the very end. maybe thats cause he sees the future or man united in the current squad and youth team. pogba and morrisson are both 19, but fergie obvioulsy doesnt think they are quite ready yet, or if he does he obviously still thinks schools has soemthing to add.

Sorry for being part of the best midfield in the world. Did you not watch when the tore Man U a knew one in the Champs League final after winning the Euro Championship and World Cup?

yes i appreciate them and their ball greedyness.

but i am aware that other teams, countries and players are capable of great and exciting midfield play. this has been the case since teh dawn of time.

spain and barcalona dont have the monopoly on stylish football, despite what you might read.

this subject of this topic has himself been one of the most gifted midfielders around for the past 15 years. great as they are players like xavi and inietsa are not something new.

Ball greedy?

One thing about Iniesta is, I'd never call him greedy.

Bizarre statement, and I have a funny feeling you either mis-typed like you normally do, or you are fishing.

no, it was a joke and a refernece to their style of keep ball. i meant it as a compliment although i dont particularly find spain an attractive side to watch.