Poker

dervish

I don't know how to play poker.

Would like to learn though.

so would i.

this may be pretty presumptuous, but is there not a site where a private table could be hosted by some good Hat poker players (Fatshaft, Rocket, others?) to teach some Hat newbies how to play? would there be others interested in learning?

i'm in if someone will host the table. :wave:

so would i.

this may be pretty presumptuous, but is there not a site where a private table could be hosted by some good Hat poker players (Fatshaft, Rocket, others?) to teach some Hat newbies how to play? would there be others interested in learning?

i'm in if someone will host the table. :wave:

:wave:

If you can't even see, let alone consider the implications of, straight and flush opportunities then you'll never make money at poker.

Well well. Despite my sometimes lack of vision when it comes to hands I managed a win last night.

11 of us playing so we split into two tables of a 5 and a 6.

Had to buy back after 4 hands with my straight getting beat on the river by a full house. Was gutted and thought my luck was going to be out.

Managed to stick at it though and got a couple of decent hands to get some chips back.

Two big hands that got me in a winning position are as follows: Is this luck, skill or a bit of both.

First hand I had A, 10. Most folk check or fold so I raised the small blind enough to see if anyone has a decent hand. The big blind calls it. He has a 10, J. Flop comes up 4, 5, 10.

He goes all in, I call. 6, 5 come over on the turn and river giving me all his chips with the 2 pair with the Ace kicker.

He was spewing as he didn't realise that if you both have the same two pair the highest 5th card takes it. I knew that.

Second big one.

I have Q, K on small blind and call it. Big blind goes all in thinking he's gonna take the pot with his J, J. I call him.

King comes on the flop and nothing else of any interest with the other cards wiping him out as well.

Again he was puzzled as to why I never raised with my Q, K. I said I wanted to see the flop before committing big and if I'd raised big everyone would have folded.

Apparently that's called a flat call? He was pissed off.

Anyway ended up heads up with 1000 chips against 700.

The guy I was playing offered a split pot after a few hands going back and fore with no one really gaining and so we did that with me getting the higher share due to being about 250 chips ahead. :trophy: I guess technically you could say that's not an outright win as it wasn't played to a finish but as chip leader at the end I'm claiming a victory none the less.

Rocket, Fatshaft. What's the script with those two hands described above. Played well or lucky?

Chuffed to bits to be honest. Winning an 11 man game is good going for a complete amateur.

• Downvote 1

Well well. Despite my sometimes lack of vision when it comes to hands I managed a win last night.

11 of us playing so we split into two tables of a 5 and a 6.

Had to buy back after 4 hands with my straight getting beat on the river by a full house. Was gutted and thought my luck was going to be out.

Managed to stick at it though and got a couple of decent hands to get some chips back.

Two big hands that got me in a winning position are as follows: Is this luck, skill or a bit of both.

First hand I had A, 10. Most folk check or fold so I raised the small blind enough to see if anyone has a decent hand. The big blind calls it. He has a 10, J. Flop comes up 4, 5, 10.

He goes all in, I call. 6, 5 come over on the turn and river giving me all his chips with the 2 pair with the Ace kicker.

He was spewing as he didn't realise that if you both have the same two pair the highest 5th card takes it. I knew that.

Second big one.

I have Q, K on small blind and call it. Big blind goes all in thinking he's gonna take the pot with his J, J. I call him.

King comes on the flop and nothing else of any interest with the other cards wiping him out as well.

Again he was puzzled as to why I never raised with my Q, K. I said I wanted to see the flop before committing big and if I'd raised big everyone would have folded.

Apparently that's called a flat call? He was pissed off.

Anyway ended up heads up with 1000 chips against 700.

The guy I was playing offered a split pot after a few hands going back and fore with no one really gaining and so we did that with me getting the higher share due to being about 250 chips ahead. :trophy: I guess technically you could say that's not an outright win as it wasn't played to a finish but as chip leader at the end I'm claiming a victory none the less.

Rocket, Fatshaft. What's the script with those two hands described above. Played well or lucky?

Chuffed to bits to be honest. Winning an 11 man game is good going for a complete amateur.

How much did you win?

Was it enough to get a decent haircut?

• Upvote 1

Without stack and blind sizes, there is no correct answer.

However hand one played itself for both of you, though again, stack size dependant, he should either have r-r pre, or folded, his own fault for being dominated there, his flop push is only likely to be called if he's behind - again dependant on what stacks you both have left.

Second hand, I presume folded to you in sb? If so, the limp is very bad, you should have raised, (though you'd then have to call his r-r all in, or he calls anyway if your raise has him covered) and the call of his push equally so, best you hope is he's shoved with two randoms because you've limped and he wants to take the blinds, or that he has a small pair and you're racing. Admittedly, any pair JJ or lower is a small pair, but you're behind to just about any pushing hand there, including any random raggy ace.

Lot of luck in poker though, especially tournie poker where time is short, congrats on the win! :applause:

Without stack and blind sizes, there is no correct answer.

However hand one played itself for both of you, though again, stack size dependant, he should either have r-r pre, or folded, his own fault for being dominated there, his flop push is only likely to be called if he's behind - again dependant on what stacks you both have left.

Second hand, I presume folded to you in sb? If so, the limp is very bad, you should have raised, (though you'd then have to call his r-r all in, or he calls anyway if your raise has him covered) and the call of his push equally so, best you hope is he's shoved with two randoms because you've limped and he wants to take the blinds, or that he has a small pair and you're racing. Admittedly, any pair JJ or lower is a small pair, but you're behind to just about any pushing hand there, including any random raggy ace.

Lot of luck in poker though, especially tournie poker where time is short, congrats on the win! :applause:

First one we were about level in chips.

Second hand I had small blind at 20 chips so just put in an extra 20 to make up the difference to big blind. It was the big blind who then went all in. I called him as I'd more chips than him and would have stayed in the game even if he'd beat me.

Pretty sure he went all in as he thought I was only betting my small blind to see the flop and he thought an all in would have me folding.