A Thread Of Awesome Pictures

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I have taken some photos in recent weeks, putting my rudimentary camera skills to some use.

Cambuskenneth Abbey, Stirling:

The ruins of an Abbey at the foot of the Wallace Monument in Stirling. It was an Augustinian Monastery, founded in the 12th Century. This Bell tower is the main bit which remains, there are still the outlines of other walls etc. The Tomb of King James III of Scotland is here. His wife, Queen Margaret (of Danish origin) was buried here too. James' prominent Tomb was later refurbished by Queen Victoria.

I visit here and similar sites every year for latin masses which are held in the ruins; it is quite poignant. You can almost imagine the ancient buildings stirring with emotion to hear the mass again.

I took this with my basic camera phone, it was a nice day:

ckenneth_zpso2s4iart.jpg

William Wallace memorials, Robroyston, Glasgow:

These are a short walk from where I now live. Its right on the border between Glasgow and East Dunbartonshire. I took these on my camera phone too.

This Celtic cross marks the site of the house where Wallace was betrayed to the English:

cross_zpsuwx66j8m.jpg

There's a bunch of plaques and stuff to read, like this one. You can see the Catholic influence, with the latin words he learned as a boy.

walspeil_zpsczrdr1rh.jpg

Nearby there is a well, where he was reputed to draw water when visiting the area. A local area in Barlornock is called "Wallacewell" after this. Sadly the Robroyston Young Team (or similar ) have vandalised the well, as you can see. (The Scots are such plebs).

walwell_zpsquos8ock.jpg

Pluscarden Abbey, near Elgin

Last weekend I was up in the North East (aka "arse end of nowhere" lol ;) ) to visit some interesting places. Pluscarden Abbey is a Benedictine Monastery, built in the 13th century - it still functions today (its in rude health actually) and is the only Medieval monastery in Britain still lived in by Monks and used as a monastery. (FYI my mothers uncle was a Benedictine monk at Buckfast Abbey, for over 50 years. She said he visited Pluscarden a few times).

Like Cambuskenneth, it was stolen / ruined at the Reformation but, approx 400 years later, the Church managed to get the ruins back - and now the Monks live happily once again, slowly but surely restoring their Monastery to its former glory. I took these with my normal hand held camera:

Abbey1_zpsx73djrmd.jpg

You can see where the barbarians had demolished bits, to steal the stones:

exterior_zpsjxqbw5ey.jpg

In this one, you can (I think) see parts of the medieval filler brickwork - all irregular and jumbled:

calvary_zpsjsj9gacv.jpg

portal_zps4ngktefp.jpg

chapel_zpsudnkhjk2.jpg

This one is a model of how it looked in its pomp. I presume this is what the monks are aiming to restore it to (theres a long way to go!):

model_zpsy6fvqlxx.jpg

St Thomas Church, Keith

This was part of the same trip. I was blown away with this place. It was small, but absolutely magnificent - what a gem. We had a (vernacular) mass here too. Cant beat a good mass, as the saying goes.

We were visiting Keith as this year is the 400th anniversary of the martyrdom St John Ogilvie, who was born in Keith. Born into a Calvinist family, he converted to Catholicism when studying on the continent and became a Jesuit priest. He returned to Scotland to conduct a secret ministry to the hidden Catholics, (hidden as you could be executed for being a Catholic), but was betrayed. He was hanged at Glasgow Cross in 1615, aged ~36. He is Scotland's only post-reformation Saint.

Front of St Thomas (looks like a lot of continental Churches do), there are also from my normal camera:

stthomas_zpsdsnsofc8.jpg

Its got a cracking copper dome on it:

sttomdome_zpsxjq4tmto.jpg

Dome from the inside:

domeinterior_zpsdivekihg.jpg

In this one, see the picture above the High Altar. It is of St Thomas ("Doubting Thomas") meeting the resurrected Christ. It was done by Francois Dubois, painter to the Royal Household of France. King Charles X of France gifted the painting to the Parish Priest of Keith and provided most of the funds to build the Church in 1831. (Note that Charles X was one of the deposed French Monarchs, as his time was after the French revolution).

stthominterior_zps1kjxcw4w.jpg

There is a mix of stained glass, some very traditional and excellent, some more modern and less excellent. I thought this one was very moving, a war memorial to the men of Keith killed in the wars. The stained glass above the name plates shows an exhausted British soldier sitting at the foot of the Cross:

warmon_zpsmg9oawbl.jpg

Hope you like them!

• Upvote 3

St Thomas Church, Keith

This was part of the same trip. I was blown away with this place. It was small, but absolutely magnificent - what a gem. We had a (vernacular) mass here too. Cant beat a good mass, as the saying goes.

We were visiting Keith as this year is the 400th anniversary of the martyrdom St John Ogilvie, who was born in Keith. Born into a Calvinist family, he converted to Catholicism when studying on the continent and became a Jesuit priest. He returned to Scotland to conduct a secret ministry to the hidden Catholics, (hidden as you could be executed for being a Catholic), but was betrayed. He was hanged at Glasgow Cross in 1615, aged ~36. He is Scotland's only post-reformation Saint.

Front of St Thomas (looks like a lot of continental Churches do), there are also from my normal camera:

Had a few rides round the back of that church with a bird I used to see from Keith in my teens.

Happy days.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I have taken some photos in recent weeks, putting my rudimentary camera skills to some use.

Cambuskenneth Abbey, Stirling:

The ruins of an Abbey at the foot of the Wallace Monument in Stirling. It was an Augustinian Monastery, founded in the 12th Century. This Bell tower is the main bit which remains, there are still the outlines of other walls etc. The Tomb of King James III of Scotland is here. His wife, Queen Margaret (of Danish origin) was buried here too. James' prominent Tomb was later refurbished by Queen Victoria.

I visit here and similar sites every year for latin masses which are held in the ruins; it is quite poignant. You can almost imagine the ancient buildings stirring with emotion to hear the mass again.

I took this with my basic camera phone, it was a nice day:

ckenneth_zpso2s4iart.jpg

William Wallace memorials, Robroyston, Glasgow:

These are a short walk from where I now live. Its right on the border between Glasgow and East Dunbartonshire. I took these on my camera phone too.

This Celtic cross marks the site of the house where Wallace was betrayed to the English:

cross_zpsuwx66j8m.jpg

There's a bunch of plaques and stuff to read, like this one. You can see the Catholic influence, with the latin words he learned as a boy.

walspeil_zpsczrdr1rh.jpg

Nearby there is a well, where he was reputed to draw water when visiting the area. A local area in Barlornock is called "Wallacewell" after this. Sadly the Robroyston Young Team (or similar ) have vandalised the well, as you can see. (The Scots are such plebs).

walwell_zpsquos8ock.jpg

Pluscarden Abbey, near Elgin

Last weekend I was up in the North East (aka "arse end of nowhere" lol ;) ) to visit some interesting places. Pluscarden Abbey is a Benedictine Monastery, built in the 13th century - it still functions today (its in rude health actually) and is the only Medieval monastery in Britain still lived in by Monks and used as a monastery. (FYI my mothers uncle was a Benedictine monk at Buckfast Abbey, for over 50 years. She said he visited Pluscarden a few times).

Like Cambuskenneth, it was stolen / ruined at the Reformation but, approx 400 years later, the Church managed to get the ruins back - and now the Monks live happily once again, slowly but surely restoring their Monastery to its former glory. I took these with my normal hand held camera:

Abbey1_zpsx73djrmd.jpg

You can see where the barbarians had demolished bits, to steal the stones:

exterior_zpsjxqbw5ey.jpg

In this one, you can (I think) see parts of the medieval filler brickwork - all irregular and jumbled:

calvary_zpsjsj9gacv.jpg

portal_zps4ngktefp.jpg

chapel_zpsudnkhjk2.jpg

This one is a model of how it looked in its pomp. I presume this is what the monks are aiming to restore it to (theres a long way to go!):

model_zpsy6fvqlxx.jpg

St Thomas Church, Keith

stthomas_zpsdsnsofc8.jpg

Dome from the inside:

domeinterior_zpsdivekihg.jpg

In this one, see the picture above the High Altar. It is of St Thomas ("Doubting Thomas") meeting the resurrected Christ. It was done by Francois Dubois, painter to the Royal Household of France. King Charles X of France gifted the painting to the Parish Priest of Keith and provided most of the funds to build the Church in 1831. (Note that Charles X was one of the deposed French Monarchs, as his time was after the French revolution).

stthominterior_zps1kjxcw4w.jpg

There is a mix of stained glass, some very traditional and excellent, some more modern and less excellent. I thought this one was very moving, a war memorial to the men of Keith killed in the wars. The stained glass above the name plates shows an exhausted British soldier sitting at the foot of the Cross:

warmon_zpsmg9oawbl.jpg

Hope you like them!

Amazing looking place I would need a week to fully appreciate it

• Downvote 1