The Booze

Clydeside_Sheep

Now, like any man worth his salt, I love the booze. But some questions:

How often do you exceed the suggested weekly limit of units?

(Forget the daily units - that's clearly p*sh, if we all followed that, all you could ever have is one drink at a time.)

I seem to effortlessly sail past the weekly limit, if not careful. I do not drink every day, (or even nearly), nor ever experience any "cravings" for it, but I do enjoy a good crack of the whip if I do indulge.

I don't tend to worry about it, but do recognise the dissonance between NHS advice and our long standing drinking culture. The two things are so far removed from one another as to be laughing at one another.

Do you worry about this, if you go over the limit a lot? Do you think the weekly units thing is a lot of p*ss? What would you class as being "concerning" levels of drinking? (Steve Patterson levels?).

Is this "units" stuff just another example of the nanny state?

One day during the holidays I drank about 30 units and thought to myself "ooh, that's disgusting, you jakey c*nt". (But then I thought, by the standard of a lads holiday in my 20s, or a night out in the student union, that was probably quite tame.)

That I am even thinking about this - does that mean I am getting old? lol

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the suggested weekly limit of units?

Men - 21 units a week (I thought it was actually 24!)

Women - 14 units a week

http://www.healthytelford.nhs.uk/rte.asp?id=113

500ml or so (approx a pint) of 5% abv lager is 2.5 units. (the link over-exaggerates it to 3)

So you can have about 8 pints a week, staying under the limit. Sounds like a lot, but you would tear the arse out of that in a single session.

Believe or not, my boozing levels plummeted last year.

Few beers/red wines ( :gay: ) on a Friday and Saturday night is about the extent of it these days. And I'll always have a victory dram when the Dandies win, so the Glenfiddich has taken a pouding recently :bounce:

If I had all the time and money in the world I'd probably booze constantly.

Getting married and having a bairn was probably the healthiest thing I ever done, albeit, indirectly!

I'm going to get utterly cunted at the semi-final.

I've stopped drinking, completely :cool:

Do you not miss it?

The cool, crisp, golden refreshment of German pils, the ebony allure of a beautifully poured pint of Guinness, or the ruby-red glamour of a good Chateauneuf-du-Pape.........

I suppose its likely easier to stop altogether, than it is to indulge only slightly.

You must find a financial benefit?

Now there is a pleasant thought.....

Getting married and having a bairn was probably the healthiest thing I ever done, albeit, indirectly!

We don't have a kid yet, (waiting to get a house), but if we are lucky enough to have a family, I imagine that will be a sensible restraint to my prodigious intake.

Does anyone else find that, as you get older, drunkenness just creeps up?

In High School I was one of the youngest in the year, but one of the tallest (and most handsome). Accordingly I had no bother getting into Coatbridge and Glasgow pubs aged 16 and 17.

Back then, drunkenness used to drape itself over me gradually - you could feel it happening gradually through the night and it was quite a plesant experience.

These days, there is no pleasant feeling of gradual surrender - you are just sitting yakking with friends, and them - BAM - suddenly you are f*cked. Usually you realise when you get up for the toilet or something. I dont like that at all, I much prefered the sensation of being gradually overtaken by the merry-making.

Believe or not, my boozing levels plummeted last year.

Few beers/red wines ( :gay: ) on a Friday and Saturday night is about the extent of it these days. And I'll always have a victory dram when the Dandies win, so the Glenfiddich has taken a pouding recently :bounce:

K_F is quiet for months, booze is mentioned and POW, he's back.

:cheers:

Consider this. The guys who frequent pubs regularly, like 4 or 5 days a week or more, not even the 7 days a week crowd.

How many of these are successfully functioning human beings? Define successfully functioning you may ask. How about successful in their own minds, by their own interpretations of their place in the world.

In my experience, based on many years of pubs - both as an imbiber and a puller of pints to get me through uni, full time for a couple of summers - the regular pub go-er is an unhappy man.

By other measures of success - relationships, vocations, wealth - the person inside the pub is neglecting his family, his job and is spending money, not making it. By this rationale, I argue that a regular heavy drinker is a loser.

In my pomp it would be seriously big numbers; as a studdemt Id compare with the best hellraisers hollywood could muster

12pints, two three bottles of wine or bottle of vod before heading out at five or six for snapfax deals. That's alone is nothing but continueing the power drinkin till 4am five nights a week was mental

Since I got a job it would be more like regular mid week sessions follodd by a days graft down the salt mines. Then the usual weekend mash ups

That's where I get my stamina from

:beer:

:cool:

Worked in the Justice Mill on Union Street as a student and that was enough to put you off the drink for good, whether it be the alcoholics waiting for the doors to open in the morning or the fannies that would parade the place at night on weekends.

Cut down big time on my own consumption since then. Usually certain occasions or times of year will see me pick it back up but reckon I'm on my way to retiring from the booze altogether... At the ripe old age of twenty-one.

Less is more. You really enjoy a right god sesh if you do it infrequently. Drinking too much makes it habitual and tiresome.

The Ross County game was my biggest sesh for months. We met before 1, drank a few pints, nipfest in the Pittodrie Bar en route, pints and nips in four boozers afterwards including a curry at the best Indian in town, which being the only food of the day, kind of terminated the capacity to go any further. Wife pick up and bed immediately when home, a 10 hour sesh. Seeing mates you've not seen for ages, new women you want to fuck, good drink in good company and pishing laffin most of the time, you can't beat it. Do it every week or month and the novelty would be zero.

This macho culture resulting in bluto describing his voracious consumption - whether totally accurate or Seville calculator - is insane.

True but do you not find if you have a heavy sesh when you've not done it for ages that you feel like fucking shite for days after?

I've noticed as the years pass that I get drunk quicker but I don't drink as much, I don't get hangovers from the quiet drinks and I get that nice merry feeling, I win on all fronts...but when it's an all day sesh, fuck, can drink all day but 3 days later i'm still not functioning.

He's probably havering C_S.

Edit: tup, that is.

Nah I'm not.

I cut down hugely in the last two years. I have two children so it's no big deal to me.

But the biggest factor is that I've seen a couple of folk I know well slide into total alcoholism, by drinking steadily over a period of years.

One of them is nearly dead, and disna give a fuck.

So I'm losing the idea that drinking is fun as I tend not to enjoy it at all these days.

I dinna need drink to enjoy myself.

In my pomp it would be seriously big numbers; as a studdemt Id compare with the best hellraisers hollywood could muster

12pints, two three bottles of wine or bottle of vod before heading out at five or six for snapfax deals. That's alone is nothing but continueing the power drinkin till 4am five nights a week was mental

Since I got a job it would be more like regular mid week sessions follodd by a days graft down the salt mines. Then the usual weekend mash ups

That's where I get my stamina from

:beer:

:cool:

Top drinking, fella.

I'm fucked after 2 bottles of Tesco's Simply Sauvignon Blanc.

:beer: :Party:

Top drinking, fella.

I'm fucked after 2 bottles of Tesco's Simply Sauvignon Blanc.

:beer: :Party:

2 bottles of wine = 1 bottle of Vodka...you should be fucked after that...the problem with wine is its now drunk by geezers who used to down pints...and down wine in the same manner.

2 bottles of wine = 1 bottle of Vodka...you should be fucked after that...the problem with wine is its now drunk by geezers who used to down pints...and down wine in the same manner.

No it does not = 1 bottle of Vodka.

A Sauvignon Blanc is going to be approx 13% ABV, x 2 = 26% ABV.

You low level Vodka will be 37.5%

No it does not = 1 bottle of Vodka.

A Sauvignon Blanc is going to be approx 13% ABV, x 2 = 26% ABV.

You low level Vodka will be 37.5%

You must be on the wind up otherwise that is some of the worst maths I've ever seen. The % doesn't suddenly change because there is more of it.

13% x 1.5 litres = 19.5 units.

1 x bottle of vodka x 37.5% = 28.5 units.

I was once asked during a medical, that my work put everyone through, what my consumption in units was. "14" I telt the Dr. "That's not too bad for over a week", said the MD fae Minnesota. "Nightly" I telt him, "Monday to Thursday" then you could multiply that by 3-4 the other days. When I telt him my diet he said that if it weren't for our job type half of us would be deid.

I'm off the drink at present and cannae sleep but things will settle doon, aboot the 3rd week in March.

You used to drink an average of 11 to 14 pints a night, every night?

Variables

:fishing:

Comfortably,

20 pints at darts on a monday

10-15 pints if we had a midweeker with the dons / if not it was toon on a weds night for 69p voddies

Thursday dartts 10 pints 20 nips

Friday night - bye one get one free in charlies - 10-15 pints 10 voddies and some shots to go with

Saturday - away game 4 pints before the bus - 6-8 pints before the game 2-3 pints in forfar then toon till three so another 10 pints 10 nips?

Sunday - Whitehorse from lunchtime till 8 ish so 12-15 pints then too.

On an average week of course

Scary biscuits

Comfortably,

20 pints at darts on a monday

10-15 pints if we had a midweeker with the dons / if not it was toon on a weds night for 69p voddies

Thursday dartts 10 pints 20 nips

Friday night - bye one get one free in charlies - 10-15 pints 10 voddies and some shots to go with

Saturday - away game 4 pints before the bus - 6-8 pints before the game 2-3 pints in forfar then toon till three so another 10 pints 10 nips?

Sunday - Whitehorse from lunchtime till 8 ish so 12-15 pints then too.

On an average week of course

Scary biscuits

Dont forget the carry out on the bus hame from work, or should I say your old work after you quit / got sacked.

StoneyLAD