Posters That Are No More....

ElginDon

2 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

I used to think that. I also wrongly thought that some had a bigger capacity for drink too which meant they would be "immune" or were at less risk of alcoholism.

The key word was dependency. You're talking about weed in particular. Some argue it's not "addictive" and therefore you can't become "dependent". That would be wrong. That's when the problems start.

I personally would classify being dependent on any drug as insane personal behaviour and functioning, happy tokers in their 50's after daily use for decades to the point that they must smoke every day, they don't exist in my experience.

There's a fine line between alcoholism and alcohol dependency though min.

An alcoholic can refrain from drink for a indefinite period of time, then weakly give in to psychological stimuli that triggers a binge.

Alcohol dependency is what millions of us, including myself, experience to get us through an entire day or part of a day, due to these tyrannical restrictions that have been placed on all of us from last year. No psychological stimuli required as it comes naturally. 

8 minutes ago, Arabian Knight said:

thon cockney waster drinks meths n turps..onyhin e cid git ez manky mits oan..hand sanatizer..antifreeze..whin yer in eh vermin underclass thats proper addiction

Dinna think Cockney would be into anti-freeze myself, especially after remembering this case min....

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/anti-freeze-plot-wife-guilty-941479

1 hour ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

There's a fine line between alcoholism and alcohol dependency though min.

An alcoholic can refrain from drink for a indefinite period of time, then weakly give in to psychological stimuli that triggers a binge.

Alcohol dependency is what millions of us, including myself, experience to get us through an entire day or part of a day, due to these tyrannical restrictions that have been placed on all of us from last year. No psychological stimuli required as it comes naturally. 

Blurring your definitions and contradicting yourself there mad dog. You pished?

An alky physically needs a drink when he wakes up just the same as any other drug addict physically needs a fix to start the day. That is dependant. 

7 minutes ago, Simply Red said:

Blurring your definitions and contradicting yourself there mad dog. You pished?

An alky physically needs a drink when he wakes up just the same as any other drug addict physically needs a fix to start the day. That is dependant. 

??. I'm on my way to being pished, SR min.

An alcohol dependent person is someone who needs an alcohol-based remedy to deal with a hangover, sluggishness, cold sweats, or the dreaded heebie-jeebies . A quick, short-term fix. 

An alcoholic requires constant help to ward off thoughts of having a drink. In other words, drink is a long-term, never far away from their minds issue.

I may be wrong though. 

4 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

I personally would classify being dependent on any drug as insane personal behaviour and functioning, happy tokers in their 50's after daily use for decades to the point that they must smoke every day, they don't exist in my experience.

I dunno.  I'm approaching 50 and have probably had a toke most days since I was 17/18,  but I'm fine when I don't have any and wouldn't say I crave it,  quite happy just having a beer and a cig. Never had any mental health issues either (that I'm aware of!).  Different strokes for different folks.