Bridging The Gap

The board etc got it wrong throughout the 90s but it was completely wrong too often for it to be coincidence surely. The game was changing but why did we become a basket case so quickly?

The game in Scotland is run for the sole benefit of the Glasgow two and thats all there is to it. People are naive if they think anything else.

If AFC tried to have a real go at it again it wouldnt be allowed to happen. I could only imagine what would go on behind the scenes.

We have to ask ourselves what we gauge as success, 2nd place and at least cup semi finals

Is that the length our ambitions now

Europe well we battle for 38 games 9 months. to face the prospect of exiting in the space of 7 days and two games in.

That situation isnt entirely our fault the SPFL and SFA have to be lobbied to change our season

But if our aims are above domestically then its a sad state IG affairs for Scottish football.

the gap cannot and will not ever be bridged until there is complete root and branch reform of the way the game is governed up here. we would need to move towards an NFL fair distribution of wealth type system before any real change could take place. at the moment the game is purely run for the benefit of 2 teams and the others are left begging for the scraps. i cant see it changing in my lifetime thats for sure.

The board etc got it wrong throughout the 90s but it was completely wrong too often for it to be coincidence surely. The game was changing but why did we become a basket case so quickly?

The game in Scotland is run for the sole benefit of the Glasgow two and thats all there is to it. People are naive if they think anything else.

If AFC tried to have a real go at it again it wouldnt be allowed to happen. I could only imagine what would go on behind the scenes.

It wasn't coincidence it was incompetence.

I don't see how Afc failures during the nineties can really be blamed on anyone else?

Only possible argument I can see there would be Rangers spending money they didn't have and also spending all their taxes on players pushed all the clubs in Scotland towards the financial precipice.

Other than that it, our problems were all down to the directors of Afc.

Ok then. Why did our scouting go from being generally very good, you could even say excellent, to us signing utter shite within a few years and paying well over the odds for it?

Why was our youth setup poor for so long?

Not saying it was all a conspiracy but still...

Surely you're fishing?!

Ok then. Why did our scouting go from being generally very good, you could even say excellent, to us signing utter shite within a few years and paying well over the odds for it?

Why was our youth setup poor for so long?

Not saying it was all a conspiracy but still...

Player values rocketed and shite was generally all we could afford since we gambled all our money on poor players.

As for youth set up, I think most clubs in scotland were failing to produce quality youth players around that time. You'd have to think that nationally we just didn't have the coaching and approach to developing youth right.

Not sure what you're implying otherwise slinky.

Bridging the gap for us on Celtic is immensely more difficult due to the Scottish coefficient. We lack the 8 points required to allow us to have entered into the champions league qualifying stages. (this equates to in the last four years, celtic and one EL team getting one stage further in every year of the last 4, or all three EL teams or a big run from one every year etc.)

The bridge lies in the play off round of the champions league.

And frankly, not just for us, but it is a bridge for many a European team to get to the next level.

Where, to give some perspective, is where Rijeka and Maribor will probably reach this coming week. I truly believe we could have reached the champions league play off stage in the last four years. Even once, would have been more lucrative than all of our DMC European campaigns to this point combined even if we had reached the group stage once (see below), this I believe is a harder prospect than reaching CL Playoff round would have been for us.

Under DMC we have amassed roughly €2.7m in UEFA participation. Now the same three rounds we've played four times, then beaten in EL QF R4 as we drop down, had it been in the champions league would only have netted us ~€400k more a season in participation money.

However, had we once reached the playoff round of the champions league, here's how it would work out, €540k for the first three qualifying stages, THEN €3 million for getting beat in the playoff round (compare this to the €2.6million for reaching the EL group stages and our current €2.7 million) .... THEN add the €2.6 million group stage fee and media fee as we automatically reach EL groups by being in CL PO round.

That's €6million+ in fees alone. In one year... There is your bridge.

But we're 25th in the country coefficent standing not 15th, and I'm bored and it's too hot to sleep so I figured this out, and fuck the SFA.

Anyway....

• Upvote 1

So essentially it's futile to try?

Thanks, but I'd already figured that.

No. It means a concentrated 5-6 year effort to get Scotland back into 15 or above in the coefficients and hope we are just as strong at this point (as Mcinnes will more than likely be gone). Then a good year and CL playoff round, which we can do. And then we can bridge the gap