The Mckenna Dilemma

But certain posters on here refuse to accept that he is quite simply a beast of a powerhouse with bags of speed & power & a great defender (not just for his age) AND with huge potential to get even better in the EPL & is easily worth shit tons of money.

We need to start thinking about a new partner for Devlin now

Isn't it just going to be the next kid coming up through the system or somebody on loan? I suggest a u20 us national and a teenager called up to the national team in ecuador and got laughed at

But certain posters on here refuse to accept that he is quite simply a beast of a powerhouse with bags of speed & power & a great defender (not just for his age) AND with huge potential to get even better in the EPL & is easily worth shit tons of money.

Isn't it just going to be the next kid coming up through the system or somebody on loan? I suggest a u20 us national and a teenager called up to the national team in ecuador and got laughed at

Because that's not how AFC operate. I'd be delighted if we were scouting players like you describe, but the fact is we don't. We look at English reserve games and the occasional League One match.

I can see where @@Millertime is coming from In fairness  McKenna has been really solid for us, but he's not been the second coming of Willie Miller (as some would have you believe!)... However, you are quite right the reason he is attracting so much attention, is the way in which scouts from down south operate.  They'll see a 21 year old defender, with all the raw ingredients to become a superstar. They'll believe they can work with that and create a final product.  If you have any degree of perception you'll appreciate that McKenna's ceiling is far higher than Devlin.  I'd argue his potential is beyond that of Ryan Fraser. 

Yes, he's struggled against physical opponents, but that's something clubs down south will feel they can work on.  It's certainly not a terminal limitation.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I can see where @@Millertime is coming from In fairness  McKenna has been really solid for us, but he's not been the second coming of Willie Miller (as some would have you believe!)... However, you are quite right the reason he is attracting so much attention, is the way in which scouts from down south operate.  They'll see a 21 year old defender, with all the raw ingredients to become a superstar. They'll believe they can work with that and create a final product.  If you have any degree of perception you'll appreciate that McKenna's ceiling is far higher than Devlin.  I'd argue his potential is beyond that of Ryan Fraser. 

Yes, he's struggled against physical opponents, but that's something clubs down south will feel they can work on.  It's certainly not a terminal limitation.

I don't think anyone is saying he's the second coming of Willie Miller.  They're saying he's worth around £10m in the ridiculous English market.  He is.

• Upvote 2

I don't think anyone is saying he's the second coming of Willie Miller.  They're saying he's worth around £10m in the ridiculous English market.  He is.

I agree with that!  I've probably not explained the point I was trying to make properly. 

I do think we'll get another bid in the region of 6-7M from another club, down south, in January... but without the strings attached by Villa.  This will probably be accepted IMO.  Had Steve Bruce not been turfed out, I'd say Villa would be back in... they are desperate for a CB.

You were laughed at for suggesting players you have never seen or have any knowledge of, players being scouted by Arsenal, and players that would never get a work permit and so on. That is before you factor in possible home sickness, climate, brexit, whether a highly rated Ecuadorian youth would fancy playing in NE Scotland rather than Brazil or Argentina.

You were laughed at for suggesting players you have never seen or have any knowledge of, players being scouted by Arsenal, and players that would never get a work permit and so on. That is before you factor in possible home sickness, climate, brexit, whether a highly rated Ecuadorian youth would fancy playing in NE Scotland rather than Brazil or Argentina.

The kid in paraguay and the kid in ecuador should be able to get the permit according to what ive read. They are on their respective national teams. Ive seen the paraguyan on a rather large tv once. The cb from ecuador I suggested scouting not signing. I have not seen him, but a teenager aberdeen could afford and likely get a permit for ought to be worth looking at.

Ive seen plenty of Auston Trusty. He's got U20 experience only. Maybe a permit isn't in the cards, so my bad. And the Tico I suggested I have seen and he has lots of NT experience.

I can respect someone saying hey that permit isnt happening or AFC just doesn't roll that way. But what you said about me is just factually incorrect and puts you in a class with clowns like Trump that just make crap up.

PondHopper, it's quite interesting hearing you talk about this player and that but the sad reality is Afc just don't look at such exotic talents.

We barely seem to risk signing a single player from the EU never mind North or South American players who would need work permits.

I wish we did, and agree there will be some cracking players out there.

But while the club throws it's nets in such a short arc this chat is a bit wasted- it's more a reminder of exactly what we won't do than anything else. It's even quite depressing.

I think that's why you won't get very positive responses from posters- it all just seems pure fantasy to talk about these sort of targets.

Ps- isn't all this stuff off topic for this thread. Maybe it's time to start a thread for your foreign scouting adventures, and put this stuff in the context of what I assume you'd LIKE the club to be doing rather than what you believe they will do?

PondHopper, it's quite interesting hearing you talk about this player and that but the sad reality is Afc just don't look at such exotic talents.

We barely seem to risk signing a single player from the EU never mind North or South American players who would need work permits.

I wish we did, and agree there will be some cracking players out there.

But while the club throws it's nets in such a short arc this chat is a bit wasted- it's more a reminder of exactly what we won't do than anything else. It's even quite depressing.

I think that's why you won't get very positive responses from posters- it all just seems pure fantasy to talk about these sort of targets.

Ps- isn't all this stuff off topic for this thread. Maybe it's time to start a thread for your foreign scouting adventures, and put this stuff in the context of what I assume you'd LIKE the club to be doing rather than what you believe they will do?

Good point. You could make the same point for Australian players. The player who was just loaned by Man City to Celtic (young guy, name escapes me) will do well in Scotland if given a chance and would cost next to nothing. However, given the transferring club are owned by Man City, it kinda makes things tough.There are a lot of young guys here with potential..visa rules etc make them difficult to export.

Aberdeen's capacity to 'scout' or even pay token fees appears severely restricted. We've cut our cloth accordingly.

The kid in paraguay and the kid in ecuador should be able to get the permit according to what ive read. They are on their respective national teams. Ive seen the paraguyan on a rather large tv once. :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: The cb from ecuador I suggested scouting not signing. I have not seen him, but a teenager aberdeen could afford and likely get a permit for ought to be worth looking at.

Ive seen plenty of Auston Trusty. He's got U20 experience only. Maybe a permit isn't in the cards, so my bad. And the Tico I suggested I have seen and he has lots of NT experience.

I can respect someone saying hey that permit isnt happening or AFC just doesn't roll that way. But what you said about me is just factually incorrect and puts you in a class with clowns like Trump that just make crap up.

"Richard Sanchez is in many ways the ideal talent for Aberdeen. He's a Midfielder (22 years old) .... Arsenal has been scouting him. "

"Granted I know nothing about him"

£11 million Man City Brazil player refused work permit, Ecuador player you suggested has 2 friendly call ups, 0 caps.

"https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/10/midfielder-douglas-luiz-refused-work-permit-manchester-city"

From Phillie Union site: "Trusty has made 32 regular-season appearances (32 starts out of a possible 32) at centerback, totaling one goal and one assist ... he is the only player on the Union to play every minute of every regular-season match"  Earns $109,000 for 3rd placed Union so not exactly peanuts for a team like Aberdeen.

Johan Venegas wages $217,000

Which bits are factually incorrect you fucking redneck, 6 team supporting, douche-bag commie blowhard?

• Upvote 1

"Richard Sanchez is in many ways the ideal talent for Aberdeen. He's a Midfielder (22 years old) .... Arsenal has been scouting him. "

"Granted I know nothing about him"

£11 million Man City Brazil player refused work permit, Ecuador player you suggested has 2 friendly call ups, 0 caps.

"https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/10/midfielder-douglas-luiz-refused-work-permit-manchester-city"

From Phillie Union site: "Trusty has made 32 regular-season appearances (32 starts out of a possible 32) at centerback, totaling one goal and one assist ... he is the only player on the Union to play every minute of every regular-season match"  Earns $109,000 for 3rd placed Union so not exactly peanuts for a team like Aberdeen.

Johan Venegas wages $217,000

Which bits are factually incorrect you fucking redneck, 6 team supporting, douche-bag commie blowhard?

I watch way more than 6 teams and more than one sport. Admitting I know nothing about these players is honest. I dont scout and evaluate them. I'm not a professional and it is not my career.

Aberdeen can probably offer more than a little club in costa rica as johan jimmy butlered his way out of minnesota.

I'm just not claiming to be an expert on things I dont focus on professionally. I just am self aware and know what i dont know. But that comes with having success, money, traveling the world, and seeing a lot of things.

Generally it's negative insult driven posts like yours that say an awful lot about you... and only you.

Can't decide between rumpus and 360. 

The googling random players in North and Central America makes me lean towards 360.

I was thinking the same... time line would fit too.  It's been about 4 weeks since his last attempt - they're getting more and more sophisticated each time.  Probably frustrated at being rumbled... i must admit though, the Millertime smokescreen tactic, last time around, was good! 

I watch way more than 6 teams and more than one sport. Admitting I know nothing about these players is honest. I dont scout and evaluate them. I'm not a professional and it is not my career.

Aberdeen can probably offer more than a little club in costa rica as johan jimmy butlered his way out of minnesota.

I'm just not claiming to be an expert on things I dont focus on professionally. I just am self aware and know what i dont know. But that comes with having success, money, traveling the world, and seeing a lot of things.

Generally it's negative insult driven posts like yours that say an awful lot about you... and only you.

Genius.

Good point. You could make the same point for Australian players. The player who was just loaned by Man City to Celtic (young guy, name escapes me) will do well in Scotland if given a chance and would cost next to nothing. However, given the transferring club are owned by Man City, it kinda makes things tough.There are a lot of young guys here with potential..visa rules etc make them difficult to export.

Aberdeen's capacity to 'scout' or even pay token fees appears severely restricted. We've cut our cloth accordingly.

Arzani was about out of contract. He could have stayed put for a few more months and came over on a free where some team could have skipped the transfer and paid him good. Another kid skipped from sporting kc to sign with man city. He's on loan and not even sure he's a regular there. He did have a nice spell at porto b though. I guess my point is aberdeen is a great launching point for a career. If you take em on loan like lowe you develop them but never get that transfer fee to help the club. No risk no reward. One thing Aberdeen has is minutes to give along with a lot of exposure.