Lewis Hamilton Stripped Of F1 Points

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/7978186.stm

Lewis Hamilton and McLaren have been stripped of their podium finish and all points at the Australian Grand Prix.

The sport's world governing body said they were excluded "for providing evidence deliberately misleading to the stewards at the hearing on 29 March".

A post-race hearing promoted Hamilton from fourth to third after Jarno Trulli was penalised for passing Hamilton while the safety car was out.

Trulli and Toyota have been reinstated to third, and McLaren will not appeal.

The Italian was initially handed a 25-second penalty for the incident which saw him demoted to 12th.

Hamilton was summoned by stewards on Thursday to discuss what the FIA, motorsport's governing body, described as "a new element" of evidence.

It was not clear what the new evidence was, although it was thought to involve pit-to-car radio conversations between the team and driver, with the FIA ruling that there had been a breach of the international sporting code.

The yellow safety flags came out at Melbourne after a collision between Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel and Robert Kubica in his BMW Sauber.

Trulli slid off the track and was passed by Hamilton but the Toyota driver said he had little choice but to overtake the Briton again.

"When the safety car came out towards the end of the race, Hamilton passed me but soon after he suddenly slowed down and pulled over to the side of the road," said Trulli.

"I thought he had a problem so I overtook him as there was nothing else I could do."

Hamilton had told Speed TV after the race that Trulli went wide onto the grass at the second to last corner.

"I was forced to go by. I slowed down as much as I could. I was told to let him back past, I don't know if that's the regulations, and if it isn't, then I should have really had third," said the Briton.

Toyota had said after the race that they would make a protest but dropped that on Wednesday because they felt it had no chance of succeeding.

:applause:

Guest LondonScottish
I think Lewis Hamilton is the greatest talent formula 1 has had in a long time!

They want to kill him off early so that Formula 1's darling is never over taken in the amount of Championships won!!!!

SHOCK HORROR!!!!!!

I hate Formula 1 with a passion these days. First race in and already they couldn't organise there arse from their heads. Useless c**ts!!!

I have to agree with that.

I just dinnae buy into this English tabloid 'they're all out to get us' mentality

I'm far from an expert on F1 but pretty sure the FIA would have good reason to take this action considering the amount of scrutiny they will find themselves under

I do think there was Ferrari bias last season, and was for most if not all of Schumacher's reign. But there seems very little wrong with this, and the fact the FIA have come out and stated McLaren lied to tehm in the initial appeal is not something they will have done lightly, nor indeed have gotten away with if not true.

Perhaps, but he always seems to be transgressing one rule or another. Equally, the goalposts are always being moved, so it's a minefield out there.

I think they're thwarting new talent. Whilst I'm delighted that Button's had a renaissance (ok, of all but one race so far), I'm dismayed that they never seem to stop tinkering with the system and it seems to penalise Hamilton more than most. Is that because McLaren fly closer to the wind than the others? Not sure.

;)

There is no conspiracy against Lewis Hamilton... I can't believe some, usually sensible posters, who are suggesting otherwise. Lewis has actually been gotten away with a helluva lot since he arrived on the scene, in terms of dangerous driving.

There is no way the FIA could get away with effectively cheating him out of 3rd place! They broke the rules and suffered the concequences.

C'mon Jenson Button!

There is no conspiracy against Lewis Hamilton... I can't believe some, usually sensible posters, who are suggesting otherwise. Lewis has actually been gotten away with a helluva lot since he arrived on the scene, in terms of dangerous driving.

There is no way the FIA could get away with effectively cheating him out of 3rd place! They broke the rules and suffered the concequences.

C'mon Jenson Button!

I hope you are not including me in that bracket! ;)

Michael Schumacher took out Villenueve and Damon Hill, nothing was done about it.

IIRC, when Schumacher took out Villeneuve, he was disqualified from the championship and every point from every race he'd won that season was taken away from him, probably one of the most severe punishments ever handed out to a driver.

I think the "Hamilton" hate hats are firmly on in here.

If this was Michael Schumacher, there would be nothing done about it!!! If it was a Ferrari, nothing would be done about it!!! That is the fact of the matter.

Michael Schumacher took out Villenueve and Damon Hill, nothing was done about it.

Imagine Hamilton did it, Formula 1 would be in outrage!

Nope not in this case. He cheated. He got caught. He was punished. Simple as.

As for changing the rules I used to be an avid watcher of F1. Now it is a procession of cars after the first corner until pit stops. Its boring and something needed to be done to make it competitive.

The difference between schumacher and hamilton is that schumacher could cheat but make it look like an accident enough to not get punished. I have no doubt that hamilton will learn this trick the more he races.

McLaren however could still be feeling the effects of spygate as a lot of the other teams feel they got off very lightly and this may be influencing the FIA in their treatment of the McLAren team. As I said not in this case though.

Press Release

Stewards Decision - Australian GP

02/04/2009

PENALTY IMPOSED ON DRIVER NO 1 LEWIS HAMILTON AND COMPETITOR VODAFONE MCLAREN MERCEDES

SUMMARY OF KEY CONSIDERATIONS

At the first hearing following the Australian Grand Prix the Stewards did not have the benefit of the radio exchanges between driver No 1 Lewis Hamilton and his Team Vodafone McLaren Mercedes nor did they have access to the comments to the Media given by Lewis Hamilton immediately after the end of the race.

From the video recordings available to the Stewards during the hearing it appeared that Jarno Trulli

Guest Donforlife
Don't know how anyone can think McLaren have been treated harshly really.

exactly, he is a dirty lying wank of the highest order.

Don't know how anyone can think McLaren have been treated harshly really.

Agreed.

My comments were about the sport in general. I would like to see fair-minded Brits of whatever background win to fly the flag for the sport in the UK and reinvigorate what has become a procession and therefore a rather boring spectacle. Sadly, Hamilton appears to do himself few favours with this incident, but last season saw an injection of energy and interest back into F1 which had been lacking for quite a while. If that injection continues through Button, Hamilton, whoever from the UK, I don't care, so long as it's played out fairly.

:thumbup1:

I think the "Hamilton" hate hats are firmly on in here.

If this was Michael Schumacher, there would be nothing done about it!!! If it was a Ferrari, nothing would be done about it!!! That is the fact of the matter.

Imagine Hamilton did it, Formula 1 would be in outrage!

But Roberto, this one is a clear black and white rules breach. A driving incident can always go one way or another, like the Vettel - Kubica crash, either could be blamed there. But in this case Hamilton has lied to the stewards about what took place, and according to his version this leads to a clear demotion and promotion to third for him. However it appears that there is certifiable evidence that Hamilton not only didn't suffer in the way claimed, but he also lied.

The fact Mclaren have now suspended their technical Director tells a big story I think.

hard to know who to believe? Bernie ecclestone and Max mosley? A midget control freak who married a 6'4" transvestite, and a fascist nazi white supremist who partakes of being whipped by whores? Or McLaren, who according to aforementioned freaks, are also cheats and liars?

consider a few things. Ferrari scored ZERO points in the race. they are going to need a few races to get up to pace. Another favourite boy of the FIA, Barrichello, played bumper cars with half the field, a maniacal drive, thrashing into all and sundry, causing dangerous accidents.... not a word... silence from the FIA. What about the dodgy wing that gives 3 teams a second a lap over the rest of the field? Hamilton scored 6 points from the back of the grid, with a world class drive that stole the show from the Winner, a drive compared to the best produced by Senna or Schumacher. Then on a point of technicality, while the drivers are trundling round behind the safety car, on the last lap, another driver (trulli) f**ks up and drives onto the grass... and Lewis ends up being disqualified, on a point of technicality over what was said on the team radio??!?

Obviously Hamilton should come out and apologise for his role. Its hard for me to critisise him, racers will do these things in the heat of the moment. It appears he has told a porky, and should come clean. however examine the facts, and you will see Hamilton did not deserve this punishment. This is just Ferrari ball licking of the highest order. What about the FIA "rule" that a race now had to be announced 5 hours after the race. Definately. But not here it seems. What about the obscure ruling they used, which gives a blanket prevention of rights to appeal (which is why MCL are not appealing, as they cannot even be allowed to appeal, and why Toyota didnt bother appealing either). What kind of sport has this kind of control by individuals?

What about the dodgy wing that gives 3 teams a second a lap over the rest of the field?

I'm not quite sure what your problem is here, you seem to be claiming the FIA is biased towards Ferrari, but the advantageous diffuser on the Brawn, Toyota and Williams would surely hinder Ferrari if the FIA let them get away with it? The diffuser design is within the rules, albeit, taking advantage of a loophole.

The team that loses out most of all from the other teams have a better diffuser is Red Bull as their rear suspension set up doesn't allow them to adopt the updated design. Red Bull driver Vettel was trading fastest lap times with Button throughout the race.

The benefit of the diffuser design is no more than half a second a lap, nowhere near 3 seconds.

McLaren were caught cheating on their team radio which will be made available on the FIA website soon. If a team is caught cheating then found to be lying about cheating to the authorities, of course they're going to get punished, just like Schumacher was punished for parking his car at Monaco to prevent Alonso getting pole and claiming he had a technical fault.

If you're going to throw conspiracy theories around, at least get your facts right first.

Lewis Hamilton has insisted he is not dishonest after being disqualified from the Australian Grand Prix for misleading race stewards.

The Englishman said sporting director Dave Ryan, who has been suspended after 35 years with McLaren, had instructed him to "withhold information".

"I'm not a liar or a dishonest person," said the 24-year-old on Friday.

World champion Hamilton also said the debacle was "definitely the worst thing I've experienced in my life".

He added: "I could not tell you how sorry I am for the embarrassment.

"I apologise to the race stewards for wasting their time and making them look silly."

Stevenage-born Hamilton - the youngest ever Formula 1 world champion - was on Thursday found by the sport's world governing body, the FIA, to have given stewards "deliberately misleading" evidence after Jarno Trulli was disqualified for passing him while the safety car was out in Melbourne.

Hamilton and McLaren were duly stripped of their podium finish and all points.

A post-race hearing had promoted Hamilton from fourth to third after Jarno Trulli was penalised for passing Hamilton while the safety car was out - but Trulli and Toyota were reinstated to third.

The fallout for McLaren has been significant, with senior official Ryan - who accompanied Hamilton to both hearings with race stewards on Sunday in Melbourne - sent home from practice in Malaysia on Friday.

Following his practice sessions in Sepang, Hamilton told a news conference that he regretted the whole affair.

"I just wanted to tell of what happened and I was misled," he said.

"I want to say sorry to all my fans. I am not a liar or a dishonest person, I am a team player. If the team ask me to do something, I generally do it.

"But I felt awkward and uncomfortable.

"This is not an easy thing to do, to step back and realise I was in the wrong. But I was in the wrong, I was misled."