Baseball

Alright folks,

Love baseball. Not going to pretend Im a connoisseur but i enjoy the game. Chicago Cubs fans, so I am continuing my habit of supporting losing teams (see Aberdeen FC, Green Bay Packers).

Anyone know any good sites for keeping up to date with the baseball? comments etc ? the BBC is sh*te.

GO CUBS!

I have tried to watch this a few times on ESPN but I just can't, I don't think I have even seen anyone hit a ball yet. I know you will probably say I need to give it a chance and maybe I do.

I think I get the rules so it's not like I don't understand what is going on, it's just the lack of action that gets me. I have actually sat and watched cricket even the test stuff where nothing can happen for quite a while so not sure what it is with Baseball.

I am open to trying it again so if I am missing something then please let me know and I will give it another try.

Try the PTI, pardon the interruption, Podcast on itunes and espn.com, which you can edit to your own teams

cheers!

ive never really watched it on TV....but the experience at the game is great. lots of fun at the games...i went to see the Yankees once and when the ground staff came out they raked the ground to the tune of YMCA....that sort if sh*t looks cheesy here but it really works there....

also there are people coming around selling beers....you dont need to move! its class.

im not sure if they moan about the number of games, cos i think they have always played that many. Also, you can get tickets for $10 .... which is great.

Used ot watch it when it was on channel5.

I like the Bluejays, just cos I've been to the sky dome.

Aye likewise. sh*te game the night I went though, hardly any hits and ended 2-0. Even with that though it's never grabbed me like NFL has.

Alright folks,

Love baseball. Not going to pretend Im a connoisseur but i enjoy the game. Chicago Cubs fans, so I am continuing my habit of supporting losing teams (see Aberdeen FC, Green Bay Packers).

Anyone know any good sites for keeping up to date with the baseball? comments etc ? the BBC is sh*te.

GO CUBS!

Take yer pick, the official site and the best two others...

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/scoreboard/20090518.html

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/scoreboard

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/scoreboard;_yl...CvnMyvQm2wRvLYF

I had a Bluejays top as a kid that a friend of my mums took over from Canada.

Are they any good? The top was smart.

They've been fairly pish for a while, "world" champions in 1992 & 1993 ( I saw them in 1991 :itch-chin: )

Their problem is they play in the same division as the Yankees, Boston and Baltimore, so it's tough as hell to make the playoffs each year. Even Tampa Bay won the series last year. Just a tough season year in year out for them.

Last summer, I was over in Boston for a couple of months and really got into Baseball. I'm a fan of pretty much all sports, (other than gay sh*t like rugby) although I'd seen bits & pieces of Baseball matches on TV before, I'd always thought it looked totally boring - but I was persuaded to take a ticket to watch the Red Sox vs Angels at Fenway while I was over. In the end absolutely fell in love with it, the whole atmosphere was amazing, and being able to drink whilst sitting at your seat was a nice touch!

By the end of my stay I'd managed 4 trips to Fenway... although getting tickets was quite a pain in the ass, and I missed out the Yankees series as a result! There were loads of fat, rich, 50-something, typical all-american dads, dressed in full yankee regalia, hanging around the city centre, during the series - I can totally understand why they're hated!

I was at Manny Ramirez' last game for the red sox before he got traded for Jason Bay... I was also at Fenway a couple of games later, against the Athletics when Bay made his second appearance for the Red Sox. He got a standing ovation from the capacity crowd as he made his way for his first "at bat" after knocking in the winning runners during his debut the previous game. He then proceeded to immediately smash a 3-run homer into the green monster - sparking scenes of absolute bedlam in the stands! It was like witnessing a winning Aberdeen goal against Rangers at Pittodrie! After that I was basically hooked! I watch the highlights of every redsox game when I log on to the internet in the morning - it's a shame there is no baseball on British TV this year!

However, I'm told that Fenway park has a quite unique atmosphere - other people I know who've visited ball parks around the US have told me the atmosphere is pretty dull, and many of them don't sell out (The redsox sell out every single regular season game before the start of the season).

I'm going to go back as soon as possible, it's a brilliant day out - there are also tonnes of nightclubs and bars in the area immediately surrounding Fenway, which are usually buzzing after the match! A great day/night out!

Yankees fan here. (Due to watching them first on TV.)

I must also admit i found it boring but got hooked somehow. It can get boring when its on TV, but its good to sit and play Footyman with it on in the background. When i was unemployed for a while i would stay up untill like 4am just to see a game finish espically Yankee's v Bosox games, as they always end with big twists and celebrations.

Not really got into it this season yet but expect to soon. Its on NASN quite a lot and sometimes live games are on at reasonable times on Sundays and Saturdays due to the time difference.

For checking scores and updates i always use espn scoreboard.

Would love to go to see a game and its certainly on my things to do list! Shame its not very big over here, would also like to try and play a proper game of it.

I'm not really into baseball but here in Oklahoma all college sports are big and draw very large crowds

The nearest NBL team to me here is in Dallas/Fort Worth and they are the Texas Rangers and it's only six hundered miles from me and in US terms that is nothing and a lot of folks i know often go to their games and i have been invited along but i just can't and i really dislike them, folks here don't understand why i would dislike them so much but i just can't go support a Rangers team at anything.

Plus you guessed it they play in Red,White and Blue with their merchandising stuff looking distinctively like RFC sh1t

It can get boring when its on TV,
I think it has to be the most 'have to be there' sport there is. The endless pitching on telly shows so little of the game, and absolutely nothing of how bloody fast they can pitch. We were lucky when we went as we got tickets perpendicular to the pitcher only half a dozen rows up, probably best seats there is apart from directly in line with home plate/pitcher.

Only ever watched it when it was on channel 5 early in th morning and must say i never got into it even though i watched hours of the stuff. Could see the skill required though to hit the ball for a home run. Some feat of hand eye coordination.

Only ever watched it when it was on channel 5 early in th morning and must say i never got into it even though i watched hours of the stuff. Could see the skill required though to hit the ball for a home run. Some feat of hand eye coordination.

I reckon most people over here under rate baseball.

Trying to hit a ball that is going over 90mph or a ball thats going 80mph but moves so much in the air would be really hard to do. the fear alone of getting hit would stop most people going for a proper full swing!

Alec Stewart was on test match special the other day. In the Carribean one of the major league hitters (cant remember who) asked if he could try batting in cricket. He found it very difficult to hit the ball because in cricket the ball can move off the ground at up to 90ish mph.....the conclusion that Stewart et al came to was that a cricket player could adapt better to baseball than the other way around.

The thing that I was impressed with at an actual game is the strength of the fielders arms....I mean the speed at which baseball players field it and throw it straight at the base is phenomenal....its definately something cricket could wake up to.

I'm not sure that baseball has the tactical nouse that cricket has....I mean as far as I can see the fielding positions are all standard, wheras in cricket it varies a lot more. However, the overall professionalism and fitness (drugs withstanding) is much higher in baseball.