Rugby Union

OddJob

World Cup top seeds won't want England - Sir Clive Woodward

Sir Clive Woodward says none of the top seeds will want to be in the same group as England when the 2015 Rugby World Cup draw is made on Monday.

England, in a pool of second seeds, recorded a sensational 38-21 win over the top-ranked side and world champions New Zealand on Saturday.

"It makes the draw fascinating," the former coach, who guided England to the 2003 crown, told BBC's Sportsweek.

"The three southern hemisphere sides will not want to draw England."

The All Blacks, Australia, South Africa and France are the four top seeds and cannot be drawn against each other in the pools.

England are in the second tier along with Ireland, Samoa and Argentina while Wales drop into the third band of seedings following defeat by Australia, along with Scotland, Italy and Tonga.

Woodward added that England's success over New Zealand was important for European rugby and had they not won the Six Nations would have become a "second division competition".

"It was a great, great victory for England," said the 56-year-old. "It was a David v Goliath effort. They got stuck into New Zealand and they were rattled.

"It sets up the Six Nations. England now need to get their mindset right. Can you go to Wales and Ireland and win?"

England begin their Six Nations campaign against Scotland on 2 February at Twickenham.

"Scotland are not bad. Every game is a banana skin. You have to win your next match," added Woodward.

The guffs always give you a laugh. One win and they think they've got the World Cup won already :lolengland:

And i really hope somebody knocks out that prick Ashton in the next match too

After my experience of rugby union, it's safe to say I won't be giving a flying fuck about any aspect of this.

Tbh i never saw this game and don't really give a shit, however just thought i'd post this little anecdote from "Sir" :clangers2: Clive Woodward. I will sometimes watch the rugby if there's nothing else i'm watching but not a big fan like some other folk

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

See Aberdeen are supposed to be a shoe in for one of the semi-pro franchises.

Am I not the only one to think that there should be some collaboration between the Aurora plans and this egg-chasing franchise - surely they will both need similar facilities for indoor training, physio and weights etc

I also heard that the SRU were putting in a 4G surface up at Hillhead and the University is onboard as they see it as a way to attract more quality rugby potential to the area.

Surely a common parking/ shared stand/hospitality area could be a good way of sharing/saving money which as we know allows more to go into the playing budget.

Thoughts?

Am I not the only one to think that there should be some collaboration between the Aurora plans and this egg-chasing franchise - surely they will both need similar facilities for indoor training, physio and weights etc

I also heard that the SRU were putting in a 4G surface up at Hillhead and the University is onboard as they see it as a way to attract more quality rugby potential to the area.

Surely a common parking/ shared stand/hospitality area could be a good way of sharing/saving money which as we know allows more to go into the playing budget.

Thoughts?

you've just wasted your time on here mate, the best reply you will get is "egg chasing is shite" "fuck egg chasing" or something along those lines.

I'd have no issues with it, I would like to see an Aberdeen Rugby team which could eventually become professional.

Thoughts?

Would this lead to us hosting the Super Bowl?

Would this lead to us hosting the Super Bowl?

Yes, and the Ashes, and the Grand National.

Personally I think it's a great idea - however you'd need to ensure that the pitch was able to withstand the extra demands which rugby would place on it. Something like the real/artificial hybrid which the SRU uses at Murrayfield, presumably.

Personally I think it's a great idea - however you'd need to ensure that the pitch was able to withstand the extra demands which rugby would place on it. Something like the real/artificial hybrid which the SRU uses at Murrayfield, presumably.

Fantastic news.

I'm off to go start a protest group.

I think he was talking about the training facilities. Not the actual pitch.

I wouldn't go with the shared pitch option after what happened at Pittodrie during those Autumn International games a few years back.

In d'Valleys they seem to have managed to create stadiums with back to back stand/facilities so the football team can have a 20k seater venue and the rugby can take place on a hybrid 4G on an adjacent pitch catering for up to 3-4k fans, pretty sure there are a couple setup that way and it is definitely done a lot in France where the stadiums are owned and run by the Local Authorities.

No doubt access to a proper 4G surface would also serve some purpose when preparing for games at Killie, Hamilton and the likes....

I watched Glasgow lose to Montpellier recently, Glasgow cut their own throats imo. Should have beaten the frogs.

Looking forward to putting the Edinbuggers in their place wrt 1872 cup. Best of 3 this year (sad milking of the fixture) which is wrong because the 3rd game is at murrayfield i.e Edinburgh, meaning two games are played there. A fit up I say!

• 3 weeks later...

anyone going to the six nations this year?

Cardiff only for me this year, too much on to book a home match in Edinburgh

Got tickets for the France game, hoping to pick one up for England when the last batch goes on sale but not too hopeful.

Envious of your trip to Cardiff: I was there in 2012 and it's a cracking weekend. Made all the sweeter on that occasion by arriving back at Edinburgh Airport, discovering that there were about a hundred unread messages on my phone and then finding out that it was because Rangers had just gone into administration!

Got tickets for the France game, hoping to pick one up for England when the last batch goes on sale but not too hopeful.

Envious of your trip to Cardiff: I was there in 2012 and it's a cracking weekend. Made all the sweeter on that occasion by arriving back at Edinburgh Airport, discovering that there were about a hundred unread messages on my phone and then finding out that it was because Rangers had just gone into administration!

lets hope for a repeat

I won't be drinking hard as I will have a pregnant wife with me. Staying in a cottage outside Cardiff and taking the train into the match.

lets hope for a repeat

I won't be drinking hard as I will have a pregnant wife with me. Staying in a cottage outside Cardiff and taking the train into the match.

I'm sure you'll still have a great time... the stadium is right in the heart of the city, right next to the main railway station. Great atmosphere around the ground in the hours leading up to kick-off. When I was there in 2012 we drank in the City Arms which is a great wee pub... because of its proximity to the stadium it gets properly heaving on matchdays though.