Snap General Election Announced Today

vanderark14

If I hear Kezia Dugdale say the words 'another deeply divisive referendum campaign' once more I'm going to stab a knitting needle through my head

Shes absolutely hopeless, it shows what leading with identity politics candidates gets you.

Davidson was an identity politics candidate too, but she has turned out to be quite good.

But then, all she has really had to do is competently "do nothing" while Labour have imploded with Dugdale.

Shes absolutely hopeless, it shows what leading with identity politics candidates gets you.

Davidson was an identity politics candidate too, but she has turned out to be quite good.

But then, all she has really had to do is competently "do nothing" while Labour have imploded with Dugdale.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Quite good at what ? Carrying all the propaganda from Tory HQ in London but doesn't have any ideas of her own and talks more about indyref 2 more than Sturgeon does

Re the council elections coming up. Got a flyer (no pun intended) through my door yesterday from a Tory candidate in the Highland Ward I stay in. Basically running on the vow to campaign against a second independence referendum if elected.

With all due respect, that is outwith any councillors remit, so just leave it for the big boys eh? Very little actual policy on local issues which is what these upcoming council elections should be about. Much like when the bedroom tax was raised as an issue in the Scottish Parliament elections. It's a reserved issue innit? Too much blurring of the lines by politicians these days.

Re the council elections coming up. Got a flyer (no pun intended) through my door yesterday from a Tory candidate in the Highland Ward I stay in. Basically running on the vow to campaign against a second independence referendum if elected.

With all due respect, that is outwith any councillors remit, so just leave it for the big boys eh? Very little actual policy on local issues which is what these upcoming council elections should be about. Much like when the bedroom tax was raised as an issue in the Scottish Parliament elections. It's a reserved issue innit? Too much blurring of the lines by politicians these days.

You are right. The problem is, your average joe who is scrimping and saving, working all hours god sends to try and save up for three seats next to each other at away matches probably isn't savvy enough to ken what is what. They just see the party logo and they are like ''I wan't that one''

bravado_little_britain_want_that_one_red

Ignorance is the problem. If politicians see a weakness they will exploit it.

They should make folk take a small, simple test before going into the polling booth - Ie - "What are you voting for here" what be a simple enough question. Nothing too hard.

I reckon the amount of spoiled ballots again in the council elections will give an indication that a lot of people have no idea. It is not that hard to number your candidates in order of preference!

They're lesbians so obviously aren't there on merit, that would be absurd.

Ruth Davidson

2009 by-election (Glasgow North East) - third place

2010 general election (Glasgow North East) - fourth place

2011 Scottish parliament election (Glasgow Kelvin) - fourth place

2011 Scottish parliament election (regional list) - elected

2011 Scottish Conservative Leadership election - elected leader

2016 Scottish Parliament election - won Edinburgh Central

She had never won a seat in 3 attempts (until last year) and originally got into Holyrood via the regional list.

She became an MSP on 4th May 2011 and was elected Leader on 4 November 2011.

She was an MSP for just 6 months before becoming leader of her party. My, what an amazing and lengthy track record of experience and success. 6 whole months eh? People have been off sick for longer.

She was first and foremost an contrived identity politics candidate, designed to change the image of the Conservative Party in Scotland. Only a fool would say otherwise.

Kezia Dugdale

2013 - appointed spokesperson for education

2014 - elected deputy leader of scottish labour, defeating Anas Sarwar (another identity politics candidate). Profile received a boost due to standing in for leader Jim Murphy who didn't have a holyrood seat.

2015 - elected leader of scottish labour

2016 - scottish parliament election (Edinburgh east) - not elected, needed recourse to regional list again

She at least had a few years experience as an MSP before becoming leader, in contrast to the mere months of Davidson.

But Dugdale has never won a seat and continues to rely on sneaking in via the regional list.

She has never done anything of note and her career is based entirely on surfing the identity politics current.

She was - very clearly - labours lesbian response to the torys bold move of electing a lesbian with all of 6 months experience.

This is blown up in their face however, as while Davidson has turned out OK, Dudgale has proven completely incompetent and has overseen a collapse of Scottish Labour.

As usual, my opinion is completely born out by the facts. That's coz it was built on the facts in the first place ;)

Ruth Davidson

She had never won a seat in 3 attempts (until last year) and originally got into Holyrood via the regional list.

She was an MSP for just 6 months before becoming leader of her party. My, what an amazing and lengthy track record of experience and success. 6 whole months eh? People have been off sick for longer.

She was first and foremost an contrived identity politics candidate, designed to change the image of the Conservative Party in Scotland. Only a fool would say otherwise.

Kezia Dugdale

2014 - elected deputy leader of scottish labour, defeating Anas Sarwar (another identity politics candidate). Profile received a boost due to standing in for leader Jim Murphy who didn't have a holyrood seat.

2016 - scottish parliament election (Edinburgh east) - not elected, needed recourse to regional list again

She at least had a few years experience as an MSP before becoming leader, in contrast to the mere months of Davidson.

But Dugdale has never won a seat and continues to rely on sneaking in via the regional list.

She has never done anything of note and her career is based entirely on surfing the identity politics current.

She was - very clearly - labours lesbian response to the torys bold move of electing a lesbian with all of 6 months experience.

This is blown up in their face however, as while Davidson has turned out OK, Dudgale has proven completely incompetent and has overseen a collapse of Scottish Labour.

As usual, my opinion is completely born out by the facts. That's coz it was built on the facts in the first place ;)

Disappointingly accurate.

Not a religious post though so has more chance than others of being accurate. ;)

Dugdale's old man is a teacher and worked with my wife. He's a vocal SNP supporter and rips his daughter to pieces constantly. She is hopeless.

Davidson not much better.

Sturgeon an equally poor politician IMO.

Disappointingly accurate.

Not a religious post though so has more chance than others of being accurate. ;)

Dugdale's old man is a teacher and worked with my wife. He's a vocal SNP supporter and rips his daughter to pieces constantly. She is hopeless.

Davidson not much better.

Sturgeon an equally poor politician IMO.

Yes, they are all rubbish by the standards of Westminster.

I voted "yes-yes" for the Scottish Parliament, back in the day, but its proven a real disappointment. Tbh I'd get rid of it in an instant.

Its just another layer of plebs we are paying for. Its comical in a sad kind of way.

Labour in particular are cringeworthy. They alternate between failed civil servants and identity politics candidates for their leaders. That's all they have in their locker. It's just ridiculous.

Yes, they are all rubbish by the standards of Westminster.

I voted "yes-yes" for the Scottish Parliament, back in the day, but its proven a real disappointment. Tbh I'd get rid of it in an instant.

Its just another layer of plebs we are paying for. Its comical in a sad kind of way.

Labour in particular are cringeworthy. They alternate between failed civil servants and identity politics candidates for their leaders. That's all they have in their locker. It's just ridiculous.

Is that an issue with the Parliament in itself or is it just the politicians that are in it and the quality and reach of the powers that have been devolved aren't powerful enough to make a difference?

I was too young to really know what was going on when it was decided so it's an actual question rather than me questioning you.

I would have them all on stage with lie detectors attached to their brains and get the audience to ask them questions

note to poodler no perverted Lesbian questions though well not to willie rennie

Thats a no bad idea. Jeremy Kyle style lie detector tests for prospective Prime Ministers. Get Jeremy to shout at them a lot as well.

I read an article by a former Labour spin doctor, can't remember where, predicting that polls would start showing a slender lead for the tories. It gets Tories who might otherwise think 'they'll win anyway' to get out and vote. The polls are all a pile of shite. I'm predicting a Labour/SNP/Lib Dem/Green coalition with Keir Starmer as PM. You read it here first.

As usual, you've taken some facts (but not all of them) and used these to make a giant illogical leap to present your opinion as a fact.

Ruth Davidson

Experience as an MSP isn't the only characteristic which goes towards making a good leader. If it was, why bother with a leadership election at all? Why not just give it to the longest serving MSP?

So, because she was inexperienced as an MSP, she must've got the job because she's a lesbian? What a terrific argument. Let's consider why a fool like me would disagree.

Firstly, she had to be voted in by members. She couldn't just be given the job by someone because she is a Lesbian. If there was someone better for the job, they would've got the votes.

On that subject, let's look at who she beat.

1. Murdo Fraser - he wanted to make radical changes to the party, rebranding in Scotland and moving away from the Westminster party in Scotland. You could almost say he wanted to change the image of the Conservative Party in Scotland .... the members disagreed. Ruth ran against him on this main point and in fact wanted closer ties to the UK party. The members liked her policy.
  2. Jackson Carlaw - more right wing than the two main candidates. Was against more Holyrood powers. Got appendicitis mid way through the campaign.
  3. Margaret Mitchell - Initially supported another candidate who ended up not running.Called giving tax varying powers to Scotland "crazy".....

So she wasn't exactly up against strong opposition. Only Murdo would be seen as a credible candidate by most, and his plans were too radical for the party members.

That's why a fool like me might say she isn't the leader just because she is a lesbian.

Kezia Dugdale

Firstly, she didn't defeat Anas Sarwar (Who has more political and activist experience than almost any member of the Scottish parliament by the way. Seriously, look him up. Just because he's brown doesn't mean he's only there because he's brown). Anas resigned and Kazia replaced him.

She was elected deputy leader to Jim Murphy (who wasn't an MSP) by defeating Katy Clark (also not an MSP). I'd wager her actually being in the Scottish Parliament had a bigger impact on her winning this position with the SCOTTISH Labour party (again through a member vote!!) than her rug preferences. Especially when the Leader already wasn't in the bloody Scottish Parliament. Fucking hell Labour.

Bullshit. She was the current Deputy Leader who beat some wet blanket called Ken. There were two candidates and one of them had already basically been doing the job, you really think members were thinking, "well fuck, I better vote for the lesbian since the Tories voted in a lesbian 4 years ago. Copying them has never done us any harm before..."

Pish.

As competent or otherwise as you think the two of them might be, I think the demise of Labour in Scotland was caused well before Kezia was elected Leader.

• Upvote 1

Ruth Davidson

Kezia Dugdale

Davidson has not turned out ok she is being protected by the press/bbc remember the outcry re the snp named person that was backed by every charity and labour but the silence re the rape clause

Also Davidsons ratings because of this is falling -21 to Sturgeons + 11

https://www.holyrood.com/articles/comment/ruth-davidson%E2%80%99s-star-beginning-fade

Forgot to add what the fuck has willie young been up to now

Catched something on news about a 200,000 wall (how the fuck can a wall cost that unless its trumps)

Anyone catch it all as i missed most of it but presume it's something dodgy

He says he doesn't own the land and hasn't for some time, which should send any half competent journo to the registers

Still smells fishy.