Guitar Solos

Knebworth version worth a shout as well

Definitely, but the Old Grey Whistle Test shades it due to the superior studio acoustics. Nae a bad solo here from Martin Barre of Jethro Tull. Hotel California by the Eagles is a direct lift from We Used To Know released soon after the Eagles were the support band to Tull back in the day. See what you think?

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Favourite solos? Tough one, I value vibe as much as technicality, so while I rock to Eddie Van Halen or Jimmy Page, or dual guitar approaches like Thin Lizzy, Priest and Maiden, as much as anyone, I like guys like Alex Lifeson from Rush and The Edge from (1980-91) U2. These guys play for, or around, the song itself, rather than being too flashy.

• Upvote 1

Favourite solos? Tough one, I value vibe as much as technicality, so while I rock to Eddie Van Halen or Jimmy Page, or dual guitar approaches like Thin Lizzy, Priest and Maiden, as much as anyone, I like guys like Alex Lifeson from Rush and The Edge from (1980-91) U2. These guys play for, or around, the song itself, rather than being too flashy.

Pretty sure he's older than that and still alive. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I find The Edge a really boring one trick pony guitarist.

I think they've rehashed old ideas too many times post-2000 to be innovative anymore, but certainly their classic period from 1980-91 he was innovative. Not a technically brilliant player like your Van Halen types, but he played for the song and was great at creating moods and vibes that made the band stand out. Of course, that was before Bono disappeared up his rectal cavity.

As a modern classic solo, I like Blackbird by Alter Bridge.