Sam Cosgrove

How can people think that 1-2m is acceptable for arguably our most important player? I will admit I can't believe how well he's developed but his goal ratio in calendar year is incredible in fairness. Anything under 5m for a young goal scoring striker in this day and age would be a disgrace! 1-2m is the kind of money you would expect Motherwell to get for him if he played for them. Likewise if he was playing for Celtic they would be wanting 10m plus! I think somewhere in the middle of the 2 would be about right! We really could be doing with squeezing a multi million pound sale off in the next couple of windows to raise the profile of club and Scotland. Sick of clubs in Scotland selling there best talent for 500k-1m when clubs in league 1 down the road are getting multiple millions for there best players!

But are clubs getting multiple millions ? Stockley ran riot in league 2 and went for 750,000?

We’ve only ever sold one player for more than 1m in our history.

But are clubs getting multiple millions ? Stockley ran riot in league 2 and went for 750,000?

That is a fucking joke when you look at Hibs selling Brown for 4.4m in 2007, Goodwillie to Blackburn 2.8m.

We shouldn't be taking anything less than 3m. He is on a long contract, young and English. If teams in England can over price a player for being English than so can we.

Can't argue with the facts you present RUL but its definitely time the club smashed that record.

Hopefully January will see McKenna off in a big money (for us) move and McInnes reveal he has a nice replacement lined up ready to go.

Delph Leeds to Villa 8.5m

Lookman Charlton to Everton 7m

Powell Crewe to Man United 6.75m

Khazri Sunderland to St Ettiene 6.3m

Assombalonga Peterbourgh to Forest 6.2m

Even our very own saviour Nicky Maynard went from Crewe to Bristol 10 years ago for 3m...

When dons sold jess in 1996 the world transfer record was 15m it now stands at 198m...

If dons are in good financial footing and can afford to hold out for 5-10m for cosgrove or McKenna then that's great! For years people have moaned that Scottish football sell players for too little and now we have a player of decent value we want to sell them for a couple million!

Daniel levy is forever getting way above value because he won't sell below his valuation and rightly so!

Anderson too, or was that bang on £1m?

I don't even think it was a half a million for Anderson. 

800k was quoted initially, then it appeared that half that was contingent upon certain criteria being met... which almost certainly were never met given his time at Sunderland. 

I got shit tons of stick from a bunch of half-a-heids on AdMad when I said we should keep tabs on him for when Sunderland released him on a free... apparently you can't speculate that a guy who was bought for pennies (relatively) wouldn't be given serious consideration as a first pick when they were spending millions on shite. 

Anyway... they released him on a free. 

Massive fucking shock. 

• Downvote 1

Cosgrove has come on in leaps and bounds this last year.

I have to admit he is not pretty to watch and appears like a drunken giraffe sometimes.

But cant deny he is a real handful for opposition defenders and has learned fast how not to get constantly sent off but remaining a handful.

If he continues he will command a good price from the English Championship..look at Stockley and i believe the boy is far better than Stockley

The smart money would be to sell him to a struggling Championship or doing well League 1 side for a few million but a 25% sell on fee. If the Championship side go down but he's done well he'll get sold to another Championship side - second pay day. Or sold to a League 1 side and helps get them promoted sold to a Championship side for a 2nd payday... £2.5 million would seem a decent fee + add ons. £1 million for Derek the rest for Kingsford...

Eoin Jess

Stephen Wright

Jonny Hayes

All 3 were Million and above -

I don’t think Hayes was over a million based on accounts. Jess was one I was thinking off but I forgot about Stephen Wright which rather backs up the point I suppose that it’s very unusual. Nothing impossible though and hopefully we do get large fees eventually.

Cosgrove has come on in leaps and bounds this last year.

I have to admit he is not pretty to watch and appears like a drunken giraffe sometimes.

But cant deny he is a real handful for opposition defenders and has learned fast how not to get constantly sent off but remaining a handful.

If he continues he will command a good price from the English Championship..look at Stockley and i believe the boy is far better than Stockley

Fucking weird comment.

Apart from his debut sending off against Celtic he has been sent off once, a dodgy double booking against the huns.

Hardly "constantly".

It’s not a straight forward comparison though. Penalty box striker versus target man.

Cosgrove is far better with the ball at his feet than dealing with high balls at him.  He's not a "target man" in the traditional sense.

Movement - Cosgrove > Rooney

Control - Cosgrove > Rooney

Positioning - Rooney > Cosgrove.

Flick Ons / knock downs - Cosgrove > Rooney

Pace - Cosgrove > Rooney

FInishing - Tough one. Rooney didn't have that finish that Cosgrove had on Saturday "in his locker".  However, Rooney was lethal inside the box. Probably give it to Rooney

Cosgrove is shading it. Rooney had the luxury of having loads of great chances given to him on a plate from Hayes and McGinn as well, whereas Cosgrove is in a team that has been struggling to create chances. 

not disagreeing but still apples and pears.  With Hayes and Mcginn pinging cut backs across the 6 yd line Id want Rooney all day long.  Cosgrove's chance for the 4th (off was it Leigh?) on saturday is the perfect example.  The first Euro tie where Cosgrove should have bagged 5 and put the tie to bed is another.  Doesnt have the instinct or ruthlessness that Rooney had.

But Cosgrove's improvement outside the box is phenomenal and Im the first to agree that for the way we play now hes right up there.

not disagreeing but still apples and pears.  With Hayes and Mcginn pinging cut backs across the 6 yd line Id want Rooney all day long.  Cosgrove's chance for the 4th (off was it Leigh?) on saturday is the perfect example.  The first Euro tie where Cosgrove should have bagged 5 and put the tie to bed is another.  Doesnt have the instinct or ruthlessness that Rooney had.

But Cosgrove's improvement outside the box is phenomenal and Im the first to agree that for the way we play now hes right up there.

This.

Missed 4 open headers in that game.  Rooney more natural striker, but Cosgrove is proving he's getting better in that area game after game. The penalty record is immense too!