Aberdeen V Nk Rijeka (2 - 2) (Agg 5 - 2)

We'll set up to frustrate them again and hit them on the counter. I can't see us losing by more than 3 goals at home but it's not going to be an easy game. Anyone who thinks otherwise is being naive as fuck.

Found Rijeka-Chat if anyone is interested. It's funny reading some of the posts with google translate.

http://www.forza-fiume.com/forum/

I believe they have another game tonight so it'll be interesting to see how they get on considering they drew 0-0 in their game before Thursday. I really don't think this team are quite what they were made out to be however. No better than Celtic really but still more than good enough to hurt us if we dinna screw the heid.

whilst it's hard to make out exactly what they are saying I think some of them still don't rate us and think they can turn us over and get through the tie. No fuckin chance.
Guest RosemountRed

whilst it's hard to make out exactly what they are saying I think some of them still don't rate us and think they can turn us over and get through the tie. No fuckin chance.

Stranger things have happened, another good defensive performance will see us through though.

I don't see why you would play rooney - the stat that mattered is the score 0-3 but there were plenty of other stats that were put up one of the most telling was possession which was 65% to 35% in their favour.

Rooney does one thing very well and - similar to Gary linekar - inside 6 yds he is deadly.

Two stats above I expect 1 to be different the other roughly the same we are not going to see a lot of the ball and what we do see will be in our half, the ball needs to be played to feet to a forward to hold up and draw a foul and get us up the pitch. We need players who will play facing their goal from our half The player to do that isn't Rooney its goodwillie.

Starting Rooney will be a mistake rather like the first round he isn't going to see much of the ball and playing with 10 wont help us. I like rooney but this isnt the game for him

same team again, surely? why would you change it?

Agree - we should at least start the same and can be confident. Maybe change things as we grow into the game as time goes on.

We shouldnt take anything for granted and should approach the game as though its a one-off.

The crowd should be patient and not get on the teams back if we are not 4-0 up at half time.

Another win would be great for confidence, but I would take a draw.

I do love pre season European Football. A home game every two weeks, the with rest on TV. You're never far away from another Dons game as they are coming around thick and fast.

Making the group stages would be a huge achievement considering the obstacles uefa have put infront of us, i.e. 8 fucking games. It would be a much bigger achievement, in Europe, than anything we've done in Europe bar 83. Especially if we beat Dortmund in the play off.

First up though....Rijeka...let's get at them from the first minute and put the tie to bed with an early goal.

@@Pudgie your sig is confusing me as Shinnie has played three competitive games so far this season and to me, he has been left back once and centre mid twice?

It was a back 5 with Shinnie on the left and Hayes playing ahead.

Confirmed by AFC.co.uk that I ken my ingins.

formationm.png

It was a back 5 with Shinnie on the left and Hayes playing ahead.

Confirmed by AFC.co.uk that I ken my ingins.

formationm.png

The following is taken from AFC also:

"Aberdeen made three changes to the team that started against KF Shkendija at Pittodrie with Pawlett, Goodwillie and Quinn replacing McLean, Rooney and Flood. Ward retained his place in goal and was to be protected by a back three of Taylor, Quinn and Considine. Hayes was to provide the width as left wing-back with Logan starting in the same role over on the right. Jack and Shinnie played just in front of the back three with Pawlett and McGinn looking to offer support to Goodwillie, who was tasked with directly replacing Rooney as the lone striker on a night where it was expected that the home side would dominate possession."

Shinnie was never playing left back in Rijeka. Didn't see that at all.

Edit - I've just re-read that formation diagram and it has DG in centre mid, McGinn up top and Quinn in defensive mid. Definitely not right.

Ward

Logan Taylor Quinn Considine Shinnie

Jack

Pawlett McGinn Hayes

Goodwillie

If I had to put money on it I would have said the above was our line up. To be fair, I wasn't in the best of places to really watch for players and where they were playing (in the pub) but I would certainly have said Hayes was playing ahead of Shinnie.

We'll set up to frustrate them again and hit them on the counter. I can't see us losing by more than 3 goals at home but it's not going to be an easy game. Anyone who thinks otherwise is being naive as fuck.

Found Rijeka-Chat if anyone is interested. It's funny reading some of the posts with google translate.

http://www.forza-fiume.com/forum/

I believe they have another game tonight so it'll be interesting to see how they get on considering they drew 0-0 in their game before Thursday. I really don't think this team are quite what they were made out to be however. No better than Celtic really but still more than good enough to hurt us if we dinna screw the heid.

I think Google Translate has a really hard time with Croatian...

We play for shit, all is executed, the happiness we fuck, opponents pampers, we have a volcano before an eruption. Gazim bitch, must be returned to us.

Definitely Hayes as wingback and Shinnie holding midfield.

If you think back to situations like when they hit the post, that was Hayes picking up that boy which wouldn't be the case if he was in a more advanced role.

Also situations like when Shinnie won the free-kick in the first half after skipping past a few of their players. He was picking the ball up from deep and carrying it through the middle.