Aberdeen V Ventspils (3 - 0)

He had a strong end to the season at St Mirren and by all accounts was decent in the, albeit extremely short, pre-season.

What have Stockley or Storey done to justify a start instead? Even Rooney isn't 100% fit.

He's played on bigger stages before than this.

FFS! Where did I mention Stockley or Storey? As I alluded to in my initial post (which you edited out of your reply) I'd go five across the middle, after being completely outplayed in the midfield last night.

Incidentally, I wouldn't pick either of Stockley or Storey. However Storey is a proven SPFL player and goalscorer. Shankland has been woeful every time he's played in the SPFL. He's looked way out of depth - so throwing him on from the start, in such an important fixture, would be borderline lunacy.

FFS! Where did I mention Stockley or Storey? As I alluded to in my initial post (which you edited out of your reply) I'd go five across the middle, after being completely outplayed in the midfield last night.

Incidentally, I wouldn't pick either of Stockley or Storey. However Storey is a proven SPFL player and goalscorer. Shankland has been woeful every time he's played in the SPFL. He's looked way out of depth - so throwing him on from the start, in such an important fixture, would be borderline lunacy.

Alright calm down precious. I was just pointing out I don't see why Storey or Stockley are automatically ahead of Shankland. I've yet to see any proof either of them are better than him.

And even borderline lunatics know it's the premiership, not the SPFL.

Alright calm down precious. I was just pointing out I don't see why Storey or Stockley are automatically ahead of Shankland. I've yet to see any proof either of them are better than him.

And even borderline lunatics know it's the premiership, not the SPFL.

'Calm down precious?' Dearie me... :laughing:

My initial point had nothing to do with Storey or Stockley, until you elected to crowbar them in for some reason.

However, I'll take on the point... based on their careers to date, if you can't see that Storey is miles ahead of Shankland, then you're clearly in the wrong job!

Presume the Latvian mob are a step up.

Fola weren't as bad as a lot of people were predicting though. If you listened to me I said it wouldn't be as easy as some were thinking ...we were still unbelievably shit last night though.

I demand an improvement.

3-0 Reds.

Every supporter who travelled last night deserves corporate for this as a good will gesture from the club IMO.

Fuck em! They got their arses sun tanned and 90 minutes of shite fitba won't have dampened the trip! Lucky bastards!

• Downvote 1

why are people arguing over team selection? McInnes' team selections are one of the easiest things in the world to predict, I think it would be harder to predict who from his favoured small batch of Players wouldn't play as its very rare they do not all feature. Storey will now occupy a place in the favoured list along with the other new signings.

why are people arguing over team selection? McInnes' team selections are one of the easiest things in the world to predict, I think it would be harder to predict who from his favoured small batch of Players wouldn't play as its very rare they do not all feature. Storey will now occupy a place in the favoured list along with the other new signings.

Isnt that what the match thread is about before the game? to argue over who we would like to see in the team,?

Isnt that what the match thread is about before the game? to argue over who we would like to see in the team,?

lol yeh, guess my point is/was there is no point in getting that stressed over it because Im sick of getting annoyed at the predictable team selections from McInnes. Granted he is a Professional, we are merely just fans but wouldn't kill him once in a while to see past certain players.

lol yeh, guess my point is/was there is no point in getting that stressed over it because Im sick of getting annoyed at the predictable team selections from McInnes. Granted he is a Professional, we are merely just fans but wouldn't kill him once in a while to see past certain players.

Step 1) Complain McInnes hasn't built a squad.

Step 2) Complain McInnes hasn't used his squad and always picks the same players.

Step 3) Look at the league table and comparable budgets and girn that we're where we should be.

#Dons

Step 1) Complain McInnes hasn't built a squad.

Step 2) Complain McInnes hasn't used his squad and always picks the same players.

Step 3) Look at the league table and comparable budgets and girn that we're where we should be.

#Dons

Step 4) Compare Aberdeen to Hearts

Step 5) Ask how many tickets are sold

Step 6) Complain about our top scorer for not doing anything else than score.

McGinn for Pawlett - Storey for O'Conner

believe we have to work and not just turn up

Job done

I'd like to see O'Conner in from the start again, he plays a different position to Storey so can hardly do a straight swap anyway (unless of course you meant Craig Storie).

Got to remember that he was signed just a couple of weeks ago and will not have been match fit last night.

The standard of the Latvian league is poor, but Ventspils are one of the better teams and are consistently at the top end of the league. At least they are a fully professional team! They will be defensive next week at Pittodrie, so could turn out to be a very frustrating night going by our past record at breaking down stubborn defences. I have witnessed Skonto Riga under the management of the current Ventspils boss Paul Ashworth and seemed to be on par with Championship clubs in Scotland. Latvian clubs tend to have one or two technically good players who are either youngsters or are coming towards the end of their careers.

I thought we had an excellent draw in these rounds, but we seem to struggle when we are favourites to progress. At least with Groningen and Rijeka we were all expecting to lose over the two legs!

A bit of a different test to what we've faced in previous couple of seasons at this stage.

Always felt that big reason for surprising Groningen and Rijeka was because we'd had the first round games to get up to speed in, and caught them off guard slightly in what was their first game of the season.

Different this time round in that Ventspils have also played in the first round, and (I think) are already well into their domestic season.

Will be a difficult tie, especially if we're anything close to the awful performance of last night.