I've been saying for long enough that a penalty means it shouldn't be a straight red- there's still a clear goal scoring opportunity

Unless the foul on its own would be a straight red- which this might.

Regardless, advantage should have been played- but only if he never blew the whistle. However how many refs blow the instant they see a penalty? The vast majority.

I've no real issue with the outcome of that sequence of events- except with Rooney's penalty- if you're going to knock it down the middle it has to be more than a foot off the ground to avoid the keepers feet. I did have a feeling he'd miss after the 4 minute delay- but I had the same feeling when he scored in the previous leg.

Rest of the refereeing was utterly shite. Bamber does have a point that Maribor played him well- the Stockley sending off proved that

Corrupt? Shinnie tackle and booking their guy for diving in the box maybe suggests otherwise.

Incompetent and over officious? Definitely

See Levski Sofia have lodged an official complaint against our favourite Bulgarian 'referee' Popov.

Apparently he had another nightmare in their latest game in the domestic league.

He'll have to buy another mattress to stick his bribe money in. The current one must be bursting at the seams.