Aberdeen FC confirm Jimmy Thelin appointment ✍️ ×

Where Are They Now

19 hours ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Ian Cathro - assistant head coach at Tottenham under Nuno Espirito Santo.

Might have been a shite manager but certainly got a reputation in the coaching world.

Scotland is too back to front to give a guy like Cathro a go. Or the Italian guy at Killie who had been at Chelsea, Juve and the Italian national team. The media and the pundits will go for anyone who isn't 5+ years hoofing the ball in Scotland. Jim Jefferies would be seen as a better appointment in our backwards country

2 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Scotland is too back to front to give a guy like Cathro a go. Or the Italian guy at Killie who had been at Chelsea, Juve and the Italian national team. The media and the pundits will go for anyone who isn't 5+ years hoofing the ball in Scotland. Jim Jefferies would be seen as a better appointment in our backwards country

In Cathro’s case,I just don’t think he could handle being in charge. Being a manager will be completely different from being a coach and his demeanour just wasn’t set forward that. 
Some people make great coaches/assistants. Cathro might just be one of them. 

36 minutes ago, sheepcrooky said:

In Cathro’s case,I just don’t think he could handle being in charge. Being a manager will be completely different from being a coach and his demeanour just wasn’t set forward that. 

I honestly think he just joined quite possibly the worst team in Scotland he could have chosen to with regards to what he does. Hibs would have been a far better fit  for his talents at that point (obviously there was no vacancy there of course). He was also very young at that point........I wouldn't rule him out of managing again aged about 40. The SFA love him, could see him getting appointed Scotland manager down the line replacing whoever replaces Clarke

Boris looking to rip the band aid off as of 19th July, doon here at least. Refreshing to hear them now talking about living with the virus and placing the onus on personal responsibility going forward. I can’t see many other countries achieving close to a 90% take up of the vaccines for their adult populations. We’ve reached a point where it’s about as good as its going to get so time to get back to something resembling normality again. There will always be dissenting voices, especially from those who’ve become feart to have any kind of contact with their fellow humans. Amazed at how many folk are inherently risk averse these days, even when confronted with the evidence that tells them there’s very little threat even if they did catch it.

15 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I honestly think he just joined quite possibly the worst team in Scotland he could have chosen to with regards to what he does. Hibs would have been a far better fit  for his talents at that point (obviously there was no vacancy there of course). He was also very young at that point........I wouldn't rule him out of managing again aged about 40. The SFA love him, could see him getting appointed Scotland manager down the line replacing whoever replaces Clarke

Hearts with an established DoF should have been a great appointment for Cathro. Unfortunately that DoF was Levein who thought he was still fully in charge of the team side of things. 

2 hours ago, sheepcrooky said:

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Clearly a good coach but doesn't appear to have the ability to manage and be accountable for people and results. 

Nothing wrong with that. We're all built differently. 

I think he's found his niche. I don't think we'll ever see him as a manager again. 

These - need a different set of skills to manage a team as opposed to coach a team. 

Taylor did ok for us last season and was probably our best player in our shit spell of December to May.

I'd have kept him by virtue of not getting rid of all of the defenders at once but clearly Glass has given that nod to Mikey Devlin probably because he's been a cheaper option presumably.

4 hours ago, King Street Loon said:

Also that the general standard of our league is shite.

He was comfortable playing in our league in both spells up here.

He had offers at a higher level. But Walsall was closest to home so can still put his kids to their school of choice. 

Taylor was limited, but he gave his all, so I wish him all the best. He had the raw ingredients to be a decent defender, but maybe not the concentration or intelligence to play at a higher level - hence why some games he was excellent and others he was a bombscare. I'd rather we gave him another year as defensive cover than Devlin who's a total waste of a wage - but ideally we'd have neither and bring someone better in.

5 hours ago, dazzy_deff said:

He had offers at a higher level. But Walsall was closest to home so can still put his kids to their school of choice. 

Where did he say that? 

Presumably still has a house in the Northampton area? Around 60 miles from there to Walsall so commutable although I think I'd tire of that drive 5 or 6 days a week pdq.

If he meant from the Merseyside area then you are looking at 100 miles each way. That would fuck me off within a week

3 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

What's your cut off mileage point for a daily commute , TC? 

About an hour each way tops. Never found any pleasure in driving.

Thankfully the worst I ever had do endure was 35 minutes (severe winter weather could nearly double that if the roads hadn't been cleared but it wasn't a frequent occurrance)