Jim Fraser And Aberdeen Fc Scouting Network

I wonder if anybody read the Jim Fraser article in the Hearts programme.He is Aberdeen Football Club Head of Youth Recruitment and the news on Aberdeen fc scouting network is quite something.The club has 14 scouts in Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire,but seemingly none in Glasgow,Edinburgh and the West of Scotland.The Glasgow and Edinburgh centres have been scrapped. And this is all wonderful and the way forward. Bobby Calder no more.And this at a football club where nearly every famous player in Aberdeen football club history from Donald Colman to Bobby Clark to Willie Miller to Alex McLeish is from Glasgow.It is so parochial and insular that only Aberdeen boys are seemingly now good enough for Pittodrie.You don't even need a lot of full time scouts in your own area,having your local football scene covered is a given.It is the discoveries you make elsewhere that gives you an edge.The Red Final picked up on some of Jim Fraser's quotes and seemed to be quite surprised by his pronouncements too. ps We have two scouts in Ireland as well ,which is nice,to discover Joe Shaughnessy and Danny Rogers and then muck them about.And we obviously love signing hit or miss loan players from England that we have never heard of Wes Burns,James Maddison.Young players at Pittodrie like Scott Wright and Frank Ross must love these loan players coming in.That really helps the development of local players ! !

I read some comments from Jim that the club felt they were spreading themselves thin so they thought best to improve on their efforts in Aberdeen rather than feel stretched across the country.

I agree though, it doesn't completely add up for me.

It makes no sense when we are told what a global game it is that we are instead of stretching our network going insular. With our location we should have complete control of youth in the area. It's adding the boys from Glasgow, Edinburgh etc to that mix as outlined in graham post, a lot of the best youngsters have been from outwith the area.

Jim Fraser best chum with Morgan .... Had f**k all to do with football on that level before " retiring " and moving into that role.

All scouts part of a old boys network... Nothing fresh in the backroom what so ever.

Personally I've wanted all these gobshites moved on, I did think they started by moving on some of the coaching staff until they suddenly realized there wasn't enough badges to keep up the badge requirements for Youth academy status ( I think that's changed now

There's a serious disconnect between the backroom to the Manager all due to " Old boys network " BS.

Jim Fraser best chum with Morgan .... Had f**k all to do with football on that level before " retiring " and moving into that role.

All scouts part of a old boys network... Nothing fresh in the backroom what so ever.

Personally I've wanted all these gobshites moved on, I did think they started by moving on some of the coaching staff until they suddenly realized there wasn't enough badges to keep up the badge requirements for Youth academy status ( I think that's changed now

There's a serious disconnect between the backroom to the Manager all due to " Old boys network " BS.

Is simmy part of that?

To me this is a good move. The Glasgow area is looked at by so many teams round the country and down south. How many decent Glaswegians have we produced in the last 20 years? Chris Maguire maybe and Zander Diamond. Noone earth shattering. For every Maguire though there have been the Patons, Lows, Payne etc. It hasnt really been worth our while! The best talents to come through at our club have been Aberdonians. Ryan Fraser, Ryan Jack, Anderson, Considine etc. Maloney was trained at our club to but who knows he might of been ousted by some 2nd rate Glaswegian. Looking at the leagues there isnt many players from Aberdeen plying there trade compared to the central belt guys, I wonder why this is?

To me this is a good move. The Glasgow area is looked at by so many teams round the country and down south. How many decent Glaswegians have we produced in the last 20 years? Chris Maguire maybe and Zander Diamond. Noone earth shattering. For every Maguire though there have been the Patons, Lows, Payne etc. It hasnt really been worth our while! The best talents to come through at our club have been Aberdonians. Ryan Fraser, Ryan Jack, Anderson, Considine etc. Maloney was trained at our club to but who knows he might of been ousted by some 2nd rate Glaswegian. Looking at the leagues there isnt many players from Aberdeen plying there trade compared to the central belt guys, I wonder why this is?

Lolwut?

Diamond was a prick and had some horrible games. But he had a few good seasons in his early days and was better than Taylor, current Reynolds etc, Mawene, Ifill, a lot of recent years pish. It is depressing that he is one of the best we have produced for the 1st team in the last 15 years.

Diamond was not better than Taylor.

Diamond as a youngster had the potential to be a very decent centre back at this level but it was a combination of his (terrible) attitude and probably not having Russell Anderson to aid in his development that let him down.

If it came down to choosing between Diamond and Taylor at the peak of their game though, it would be Taylor for me. The problem was/is that they both have consistently been poor.

I don't recall Diamond ever having a good season. He had a good game here and there.. like any player does but overall he was an atrocious defender that should have never been near our first team.

He was also first class fuckwit.

Aye. He looked like he had potential, so you'd allow the frequent mistakes. By the third season you knew he was never going to get that part out of his game.

Didn't help when he did an interview explaining the time Willie Miller gave him tapes of Alex McLeish to help him work on a few things and Diamond took the piss out of Willie's jumper instead.