Algerian Hostage Situation

Redmist1903

Details look sketchy at best at the minute. The Algerian Press Service saying 4 foreiners freed (two brits, one of which was an irishman who has phoned his familly and been named).

Britain seems to know nothing of what has happened and never sanctioned any of it. Another report saying loads of foreign hostages killed. What a flippin' mess.

I haven't really been following this but one thing I would like to know is why?

Is this politically motivated and if so, what's the cause? Is it an old-fashioned piracy situation, taking folk for the purpose of ransoms?

Because of Mali, so the terrorists say, but do they need an excuse?

Algerian politics has been unstable for years. Kids going to school and getting their throats cut because they don't have a headscarf on.

I haven't really been following this but one thing I would like to know is why?

Is this politically motivated and if so, what's the cause? Is it an old-fashioned piracy situation, taking folk for the purpose of ransoms?

Right now its all guess work.

The guy they think is behind it has a history of kidnap and ransom but one of his wives is from Mali.

They may or may not have also asked for the release of around 100 'political prisoners' from Algerian jails.

The list of reported demands changes each time its reported.

Its also been suggested that the Algerians have other info which meant they felt they had to just shoot the shit out of the place. Unconfirmed reports from this morning are that the hostages were being moved, seen out in the open with the kidnappers so the Algerian army just shot the lot from a helicopter.

It'll be weeks or maybe years before we get the full story, if we ever get it at all.

Wonder how they decided which 4 to release?

If what was posted earlier is correct and our board member did get out it may have been a simple case of the contractors were released and the company men were kept.

Also the NI guy had an Irish passport, most probably didnt see the Irish as part of the western forces. Same may be true if it was Scots they also released. That whole al-Megrahi thing may have done us a few favours in the middle east.

If what was posted earlier is correct and our board member did get out it may have been a simple case of the contractors were released and the company men were kept.

Also the NI guy had an Irish passport, most probably didnt see the Irish as part of the western forces. Same may be true if it was Scots they also released. That whole al-Megrahi thing may have done us a few favours in the middle east.

Pure unfounded speculation min. I'd wager that if there has been 34 hostages killed some of them will be contractors and foreigners.

Why have they not named the Scot that was released? They were quick enough to name the paddy.

Yeah, but he won't have a Scottish passport... it'll be British or EU.

When they used to collect the passports during the old days of planes being hijacked and held on runways they would ask. The killing order was, US, English then Scottish.

I very much doubt they had their passports with them onsite Kelt, the installation and the camp are two separate places.

Pure unfounded speculation min. I'd wager that if there has been 34 hostages killed some of them will be contractors and foreigners.

Why have they not named the Scot that was released? They were quick enough to name the paddy.

As using the words may and probably would suggest.

BP dont have many contractors out there, its to do with the whole visa situation. I know, I have guys going in and out of there all the time with my work. One of my projects is ISG.

Luckily we didnt have anyone on site when this happened.

When they used to collect the passports during the old days of planes being hijacked and held on runways they would ask. The killing order was, US, English then Scottish.

I very much doubt they had their passports with them onsite Kelt, the installation and the camp are two separate places.

I can just imagine all the yanks giving it their best Scottish impression at gun point. 'hey big man, I'm from Edin-boro, Scotchland'.

Maybe they carry a see u jimmy hat with them at all times just incase.