Transfers News For The Inferior Teams

Waghorn is really not good value at 8m, even in today's market.

In the short term mindset of the promotion-chasing Championship teams, £8m for a player proven to score goals and provide assists in that league, especially one in mid-table, is fair.

What a player did the season before last is not important, especially if it was in a different league. But admittedly it is a bit of a shocker to see a player who really struggled in the SPL (sic) go for that amount of money a year later.

James Maddison scored less and (I think) assisted less, and went for £22m or so. Granted Leicester or some other club could have years of value from him. But if Derby get to the EPL off the back of Waghorn scoring 20 and assisting 10 next season, they'll be laughing all the way to the bank and then they'll trade him in for a striker that will need to cost them £20m.

The English market is daft entirely because of what the top two divisions (and now we're seeing the trickle effect further down) can afford to pay their players, and selling clubs know what they can hold out for if and when a bigger club comes calling. If Sky had come along and thrown £1bn at the Scottish game ten years ago, we'd be seeing the likes of Miles fucking Storey getting paid £20k per week. Guys down there can sit and pick splinters out their arse rather than come up here for buttons, even though they're inferior to what the top four clubs have here.

To be honest I quite like the way this can turn out for Scottish clubs if they're able to hold out for bigger fees for their young players. Motherwell with Cadden for example. He's a cracking player, is he worth £500k to us in terms of the extra prize money he can win us? Possibly, but there's a ceiling level, and we're pretty much there until we win a cup or get to Europa groups. But if an English Champ club comes along, by all means, Motherwell should hold out for a seven figure sum.

In the short term mindset of the promotion-chasing Championship teams, £8m for a player proven to score goals and provide assists in that league, especially one in mid-table, is fair.

What a player did the season before last is not important, especially if it was in a different league. But admittedly it is a bit of a shocker to see a player who really struggled in the SPL (sic) go for that amount of money a year later.

James Maddison scored less and (I think) assisted less, and went for £22m or so. Granted Leicester or some other club could have years of value from him. But if Derby get to the EPL off the back of Waghorn scoring 20 and assisting 10 next season, they'll be laughing all the way to the bank and then they'll trade him in for a striker that will need to cost them £20m.

The English market is daft entirely because of what the top two divisions (and now we're seeing the trickle effect further down) can afford to pay their players, and selling clubs know what they can hold out for if and when a bigger club comes calling. If Sky had come along and thrown £1bn at the Scottish game ten years ago, we'd be seeing the likes of Miles fucking Storey getting paid £20k per week. Guys down there can sit and pick splinters out their arse rather than come up here for buttons, even though they're inferior.

To be honest I quite like the way this can turn out for Scottish clubs if they're able to hold out for bigger fees for their young players. Motherwell with Cadden for example. He's a cracking player, is he worth £500k to us in terms of the extra prize money he can win us? Possibly, but there's a ceiling level, and we're pretty much there until we win a cup or get to Europa groups. But if an English Champ club comes along, by all means, Motherwell should hold out for a seven figure sum.

Based on what I've seen of him up here they could get better then Waghorn for 8m IMO.

Maybe he's become a whole other class of player over the course of 1 season but I doubt it really.

Market value is being driven right up by the huge amounts of money but there are still transfers you look at and think the buying team payed too much.

What a player did the season before last is important, especially when they moved team. He has long had a proven record of failing at that level, so one season flash in the pan where he scored more than a quarter of his teams goal is quite the outlier worth delving in to a bit more.

That said, he'll be adding to a pool of Martin, Vydra, Jerome and Blackman. Basically a who's who of Championship strikers who've had great seasons at that level amongst a lot of crap seasons, so he'll fit in.

My point is though that you are basing hearing 8m on what 8m meant when we were wee guys

Like when shearer went for 15m and that was massive

8m now isn't much

It'd still put him in the top 30 transfer fees at that level as it stands.

And would equal Derby's record transfer fee.

So all in all, I am still being comparative, it is a big fee for an outlay off the back of one good season for a 28 year old. And that is on the basis that I don't believe it will improve them and propel them to the top division (which is the basis of Hulk's view, which I understand). Just need to look at Wolves' expenditure last year to see the benefit of that in the short term.

Guess we will need to revisit this then ar the end of the season

IF he goes for 8m

Most galling is rangers get 10pc!

This also is wfat will be driving the price up a little

Correct, and also the agent's fee and Waghorn's own signing-on fee. It's likely Ipswich will "only" see about £6m.

What a player did the season before last is important, especially when they moved team. He has long had a proven record of failing at that level, so one season flash in the pan where he scored more than a quarter of his teams goal is quite the outlier worth delving in to a bit more.

It is of course a big risk, no question. It's short-termism though isn't it? It's a case of "who's going to score the goals to get us promotion when all of these other guys (eg the ones you've mentioned there) have failed us?" On one hand, Waghorn fits the bill having scored alot the season previous, and on the other hand it's also really lazy recruitment, given it's a formula that they have tried and failed with routinely as you say. Time will tell, but it's the market that has given him that price tag.

Just need to look at Wolves' expenditure last year to see the benefit of that in the short term.

That's a good comparison if not only from the point of view that Nuno is a very highly-rated up and coming coach whose tactics have got the best out of his players (while trigger-happy Derby have not), and he also basically gets his pick to an extent of Jorge Mendes' players. Derby I think have made a massive boob in letting Gary Rowett go but they obviously are looking to back Lampard...

What about them specifically?

So you say full focus should be on the second leg & not even consider looking/working at bringing in a striker until that is done with.

When we play the Huns just THREE fkn days later

Don't you think we should be MULTITASKING, & just how much focus can we put on the return leg with a whole week. Too much, when we only have one (two at best) game plans with McInnes

So you say full focus should be on the second leg & not even consider looking/working at bringing in a striker until that is done with.

When we play the Huns just THREE fkn days later

Don't you think we should be MULTITASKING, & just how much focus can we put on the return leg with a whole week. Too much, when we only have one (two at best) game plans with McInnes

We are always multitasking. Goes without saying. We have a head of recruitment and McInnes will still be working on things too.

But.... There's no need to panic as we have the bones of a strong team right now.

So quality for the last 2 or 3 signings will be worth the wait.

We are always multitasking. Goes without saying. We have a head of recruitment and McInnes will still be working on things too.

But.... There's no need to panic as we have the bones of a strong team right now.

So quality for the last 2 or 3 signings will be worth the wait.

Until we have a second option up front & a first one that will score goals ffs, we really do not have the bones of a strong team. A team needs to be complete, not almost complete.

We need a new striker in at least a week before our first league game. Not a couple of days before like you seem to imply is sufficient

Until we have a second option up front & a first one that will score goals ffs, we really do not have the bones of a strong team. A team needs to be complete, not almost complete.

We need a new striker in at least a week before our first league game. Not a couple of days before like you seem to imply is sufficient

Well we needed a striker before the Burnley game really. But we can cope with what we have until we get the right quality available.

Don't want us signing shite like Eoin Doyle just because we are in a panic about playing the huns.

Well we needed a striker before the Burnley game really. But we can cope with what we have until we get the right quality available.

Don't want us signing shite like Eoin Doyle just because we are in a panic about playing the huns.

We scored a penalty & had one keeper save.

We need a striker in in plenty of time BEFORE the Huns game in just over a week. Especially to see if he can fit our system & or even play against the Huns rather than sign one & just throw him into the game in hope.

The club are just being grippit cunts & fobbing the fans off with this nonsense you are spouting having lapped it all up.

We need to sign a fkn striker ffs. Not doing so, so close to league starting is fkn amateur hr bullshit.

Get the fkn wallet out if need be but get it done.

• Downvote 1

We scored a penalty & had one keeper save.

We need a striker in in plenty of time BEFORE the Huns game in just over a week. Especially to see if he can fit our system & or even play against the Huns rather than sign one & just throw him into the game in hope.

The club are just being grippit cunts & fobbing the fans off with this nonsense you are spouting having lapped it all up.

We need to sign a fkn striker ffs. Not doing so, so close to league starting is fkn amateur hr bullshit.

Get the fkn wallet out if need be but get it done.

So would you rather we sign the wrong player tomorrow or the right one in a week's time or whatever?

Club's not great at scouting, I'd rather they got it right with the whole season in mind.

So would you rather we sign the wrong player tomorrow or the right one in a week's time or whatever?

Club's not great at scouting, I'd rather they got it right with the whole season in mind.

You are speaking like it is only the wrong players that are available right now rather than the right players at a price we are too fkn Stewart Milne to spend on.

I am not saying go sign shit because it's cheap. I'm saying go & sign good at the price it fkn takes because that price isn't really going to get much fkn better

You are speaking like it is only the wrong players that are available right now rather than the right players at a price we are too fkn Stewart Milne to spend on.

I am not saying go sign shit because it's cheap. I'm saying go & sign good at the price it fkn takes because that price isn't really going to get much fkn better

Thing is that it might get better though. Clubs down south will be starting to settle their squads and then there will be more players becoming available I suspect.