Aberdeen 0 - 2 St Johnstone

We have a fantastic opportunity over the next 5-6 games to propel ourselves up the league. A number of games we should be looking to win. Hoping Devlin is back soon but credit due to Considine - he has been superb the past few games.  

St Johnstone look to be a good outfit this season and tough to beat so will require a big performance once more.

Disappointed Cosgrove is out as his physicality against a side like St J's would've come in handy. I'd start May rather than Wilson or Anderson. Really happy with McLennan's contribution - exciting to watch.

I'd keep mostly to the same side as Wednesday. 2-1 Aberdeen (May and McLennan)

Lewis

Logan    McKenna   Considine     Lowe

Ball

Ferguson    Shinnie    

McLennan                          McGinn  

May

I think Del will go with the same team as Wednesday minus Cosgrove. He should play Bruce anderson but he wont, and we will have to endure the perpetual disappointment that is James Wilson. You’d think he would come up here with something to prove as he’s out of contract but he clearly canna be arsed. I can only hope we aren’t paying too much of his 30k weekly wage he’s on at man united.

Del will surely need to rotate the team a bit this month (apart from defence where he has no other real options until Devlin returns). We're just off back to back tough games against the old firm and we still have 7 fixtures to play in the next 3 weeks.

Lewis

Logan Consi McKenna Lowe

Shinnie Ferguson

McGinn Wright McLennan

Wilson

Maybe bring the likes of Ball, GMS, May or Anderson and Cosgrove into team on Tuesday against Livi (I think Cosgrove might be effective for us against a bruising physical side like Livi he won't score but may open up opportunities for others to like he did on Wed night).

I fancy us to edge out the farmers today.

1-0.

We have a fantastic opportunity over the next 5-6 games to propel ourselves up the league. A number of games we should be looking to win. Hoping Devlin is back soon but credit due to Considine - he has been superb the past few games.  

St Johnstone look to be a good outfit this season and tough to beat so will require a big performance once more.

Disappointed Cosgrove is out as his physicality against a side like St J's would've come in handy. I'd start May rather than Wilson or Anderson. Really happy with McLennan's contribution - exciting to watch.

I'd keep mostly to the same side as Wednesday. 2-1 Aberdeen (May and McLennan)

Lewis

Logan    McKenna   Considine     Lowe                            Ball                 Ferguson    Shinnie     McLennan                          McGinn  

May

Not remotely disappointed that Cosgrove is out and May can continue warning the bench.

Neither should be anywhere near our squad.

Bring young Campbell into the squad today.

Not remotely disappointed that Cosgrove is out and May can continue warning the bench.

Neither should be anywhere near our squad.

Bring young Campbell into the squad today.

May has been a massive let down but Cosgrove is effective for us in certain games. It was clearly Cosgrove's presence that allowed McKenna to score the winner at Ibrox. It was also his presence that unsettled the Burnley defence earlier in the season that ultimately won us the penalty. We do have a very decent record in games that he has started for us despite his lack of goals.

I'm not advocating him as someone who should be starting for AFC every week not at all but claiming that he shouldnt be "anywhere near our squad" is a bit harsh in my opinion. He's a decent option to have for certain games. Opposition defences in the SPFL don't seem to like playing against him.

• Upvote 1

Del will surely need to rotate the team a bit this month (apart from defence where he has no other real options until Devlin returns). We're just off back to back tough games against the old firm and we still have 7 fixtures to play in the next 3 weeks.

Lewis

Logan Consi McKenna Lowe

Shinnie Ferguson

McGinn Wright McLennan

Wilson

Maybe bring the likes of Ball, GMS, May or Anderson and Cosgrove into team on Tuesday against Livi (I think Cosgrove might be effective for us against a bruising physical side like Livi he won't score but may open up opportunities for others to like he did on Wed night).

I fancy us to edge out the farmers today.

1-0.

Thats the team i'd go with . Perhaps Anderson for Wilson

May has been a massive let down but Cosgrove is effective for us in certain games. It was clearly Cosgrove's presence that allowed McKenna to score the winner at Ibrox. It was also his presence that unsettled the Burnley defence earlier in the season that ultimately won us the penalty. We do have a very decent record in games that he has started for us despite his lack of goals.

I'm not advocating him as someone who should be starting for AFC every week not at all but claiming that he shouldnt be "anywhere near our squad" is a bit harsh in my opinion. He's a decent option to have for certain games. Opposition defences in the SPFL don't seem to like playing against him.

Fair comment.

Although I would much prefer someone who brings the same qualities you are talking about to the game but can also score.

Fair comment.

Although I would much prefer someone who brings the same qualities you are talking about to the game but can also score.

Surely if the instruction to the wide players was to swing the ball into the box as soon as they get the opportunity, a big unit the size of Cosgrove would get on the end of some of them, and consequently score sometimes?  Nae defending him, he has some serious improving to do - but he does get fuck-all service.

Fair comment.

I agree. At some point Cosgrove is going to have to add goals to his game. He's young and raw and is still learning. But due to our chronic lack of creativity to date this season he's actually been very useful for us in terms of getting results.

I agree. At some point Cosgrove is going to have to add goals to his game. He's young and raw and is still learning. But due to our chronic lack of creativity to date this season he's actually been very useful for us in terms of getting results.

Hope you and HairyPie are correct.

When McIness brings in that all elusive creative midfield this January, Cosgrove will bang in the opportunities created.

Not sure if I worry more about McIness ability to find a creative midfielder that he will play or Cosgrove will take any of the opportunities created.

Question for Cosgrove will be whether, unlike Stockley, he can learn. It not being a foul isn’t enough, not in Scotland.

Apart from discipline the other bit he needs to learn is movement for those early balls you’re speaking about. At the moment he’s yards off where he needs to be.

Granted we’ve maybe been spoiled. Those are the runs that Romney in his prime thrives on.

Yeah I'd have to agree that Cosgrove has done more in a red jersey than May.  Both have been shite... however, it's undeniable that Cosgrove has been quite effective in some instances/games.  He doesn't look like a footballer to me... but he brings something to the table... I'm not exactly sure what that 'something' is, but he has certainly made a nuisance of himself on occasions.  He is really the perfect anti-football centre forward, for our anti-football style of play.

On the other hand, Stevie May looks the easiest player to defend against!  He's lost that spark and quickness, which he had at St. Johnstone, which used to unsettle defenders.  He does work hard, but he's very pedestrian these days.