AFC-Chat - Recommended by 9/10 Westhill housewives and Atlanta Soccer Moms

Photo
- - - - -

Is Joe Harper A Good Man Standing Right Now...

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jocky Balboa

Jocky Balboa

Dons Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,695 posts
  • Joined 23-March 08

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:28 PM

I may be stabbing in the dark here, but I think that maybe, JUST MAYBE, we have a beacon of hope in our struggle against The Wigless One's regime. Judging by our record goalscorer's pressing of Wiggy Mk II (aka William Miller) at the EE fans forum and dissatisfaction with his reply, we may just have someone who both is on our wavelength AND able to rouse the fans into becoming a catalyst for action.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think he makes some mighty fine points and, most crucially for me, doesn't just pander to Miller's "legend status" and far from letting him off the hook, really undermines his role as Wiggy's bitch when Miller himself answers weakly by claiming that "knocking down doors to attract funding's no ma joab".

Whether anything comes of this, only time will tell, but for daring to stand up to the Evil Empire and challenging the status quo... Joe Harper, I salute you! :tumbleweed:

Here is the link:
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Your thoughts?

"In an age of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

“A lie can make it half way around the world before the truth has time to put its boots on” - Mark Twain

#2 OFFLINE   Douchebag

Douchebag

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  • Joined 19-January 07

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:35 AM

Joey Harper? The guy who drank all the whiskey and newcastle brown?

#3 OFFLINE   kennymac

kennymac

Having one star is better than none at all.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
  • Joined 03-August 08

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:21 AM

I may be stabbing in the dark here, but I think that maybe, JUST MAYBE, we have a beacon of hope in our struggle against The Wigless One's regime. Judging by our record goalscorer's pressing of Wiggy Mk II (aka William Miller) at the EE fans forum and dissatisfaction with his reply, we may just have someone who both is on our wavelength AND able to rouse the fans into becoming a catalyst for action.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think he makes some mighty fine points and, most crucially for me, doesn't just pander to Miller's "legend status" and far from letting him off the hook, really undermines his role as Wiggy's bitch when Miller himself answers weakly by claiming that "knocking down doors to attract funding's no ma joab".

Whether anything comes of this, only time will tell, but for daring to stand up to the Evil Empire and challenging the status quo... Joe Harper, I salute you! :tumbleweed:

Here is the link:

Your thoughts?

I was at the EE forum and it was a joke,yes harper had a go at "yes man miller" but i dont think that he went far enough,he should have gone for the kill when miller said it was not his job to go chappin on doors,if i remember rightly he said it was some lassy called angela,when he said that harper should have had him there but he chose not to,if it's not his job to be doing that he should not be at the club,i think i would rather have miller chappin at my door just because he is someone that i can relate to from the club rather than some woman that i have never heard of before.

At the forum he also banged on about all the money that was being spent on youth development,harper had a little go at him about that aswell as miller said that the money earned last season from tv had gone into this,3million a year in real term was was his words,miller got a wee bit rattled when harper pulled him on that as his figures did not add up.iasked him about the wigless one putting more money into the club,i got my answer on the monday after the forum miller said in the paper that he would not be going to milne for any more money,that is when i lost all respect i had for the man,he is a yes man and should do the decent thing and go now as he no longer has the club at heart.
so i dont think that harper will ever be your knight in shinning armour as he does not have the bottle for it.

Edited by kennymac, 01 October 2008 - 08:22 AM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 Guest_rocket_scientist_*

Guest_rocket_scientist_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:23 AM

That interchange revealed more about Miller than it did Harper.

Joey isn't coming on the board at AFC cos he is a fan, a legend, but not anyone who has a contribution to make, and probably doesn't want to.

I loved his questioning of the club. Questions beget debate beget problem identification beget solutions identification beget change.

Miller did not make an arse of himself, because he is already an arse. He was being true to form.

The edge in his voice, the aggressive tone he took to a perfectly reasonable and valid point, was staggering, even by his low standards.

He thought the term "chapping on doors" was literal. He thought he was above a canvasser, a salesperson, a maker of business.

He also failed to understand how an oil company decision-maker might be more inclined to do business with him than a lassie called Angela.

People who say "it's not my job", are people who survive in their own little domains, but have no interest in the big picture being self-oriented.

He then, incredulously, referred to the commercial department, as if they were a separate entity, nothing to do with him.

For those of you who still don't get how counter-productive Miller is for the club, watch the link. If you still don't get it, you are blind.

The man is a disgrace. As a man, not a football player, and he always has been.

#5 OFFLINE   fatshaft

fatshaft

Deceased 6th may 2013

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,133 posts
  • Joined 17-September 06

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:49 AM

He thought the term "chapping on doors" was literal. He thought he was above a canvasser, a salesperson, a maker of business.

He also failed to understand how an oil company decision-maker might be more inclined to do business with him than a lassie called Angela.

I was at the EE forum and it was a joke,yes harper had a go at "yes man miller" but i dont think that he went far enough,he should have gone for the kill when miller said it was not his job to go chappin on doors,if i remember rightly he said it was some lassy called angela,when he said that harper should have had him there but he chose not to,if it's not his job to be doing that he should not be at the club,i think i would rather have miller chappin at my door just because he is someone that i can relate to from the club rather than some woman that i have never heard of before.

100% agree with this (yes even R_S). Miller seems to totally miss the point of how a lot of business gets done, which considering he uses his name for his own business needs seems baffling on the surface.

Couple of seasons ago I had some dealings with Everton, unbeknownst to me or the other guys attending the meeting, Everton turned up with Kenny Dalglish in tow (weird I know), not that he had anything top contribute to the discussion, he was just there for effect. WM is no Dalglish, but he's still our biggest legend and if someone is actually out there pounding the streets, then he should be there as back up.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 OFFLINE   RUL

RUL

Director of Football

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,400 posts
  • Joined 14-October 07

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:52 AM

Miller's comments for me are outrageous, he was basically saying he was above asking folk for money for the club.

#7 ONLINE   vanderark14

vanderark14

Chairman

• Members
  • 27,799 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:55 AM

Miller's comments for me are outrageous, he was basically saying he was above asking folk for money for the club.

which in turn means he's happy with the way things are going.
COYR

#8 OFFLINE   Fact Hunt

Fact Hunt

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Joined 08-January 08

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:18 AM

Why should the director of football be trying to get investment? Isn't that Duncan Fraser (or Milne's) remit?

What has the commercial department have to do with Willie Miller?

Sounds like another excuse to have a pop at WM without knowing what really goes on behind the scenes at Pittodrie. WM is Milne's stooge and the quicker people realise that the better.

Its not as if there is a queue of people waiting to invest anyway.

Joe Harper is a washed up drunk who had to be dragged out of his bed when managing Deveronvale.

#9 OFFLINE   Jocky Balboa

Jocky Balboa

Dons Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,695 posts
  • Joined 23-March 08

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:36 PM

Why should the director of football be trying to get investment? Isn't that Duncan Fraser (or Milne's) remit?

What has the commercial department have to do with Willie Miller?

If I'm not mistaken, he termed himself upon appointment as the "Executive Football Consultant", did he not? The clue is in the first word... To me that implies that he is there to make EXECUTIVE decisions regarding the product on the park. As investment is key to this, I would expect him to at least make the effort to get involved, rather than parrot Milne's excuses for their failure (unrealistic expectations, anyone?)

Sounds like another excuse to have a pop at WM without knowing what really goes on behind the scenes at Pittodrie. WM is Milne's stooge and the quicker people realise that the better.

Its not as if there is a queue of people waiting to invest anyway.

How do we know no-one wants to invest, if Miller won't make the effort to sell himself to prospective investors? As has been highlighted by Harper and some posters above, his name is far, FAR more attractive to them than Angela in the office.

Joe Harper is a washed up drunk who had to be dragged out of his bed when managing Deveronvale.

Be that as it may, he still stands out as the only high-profile name to have stood up to the regime of late. As I was trying to say at the beginning of the thread, if more fans watch the link, they just might see things they were previously unaware of and who knows, they may even be tempted to follow in Joey's footsteps and apply the necessary pressure. We can but hope...

"In an age of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

“A lie can make it half way around the world before the truth has time to put its boots on” - Mark Twain

#10 OFFLINE   redspunky

redspunky

Breakthrough Player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Joined 05-January 07

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:22 PM

Whether anything comes of this, only time will tell, but for daring to stand up to the Evil Empire and challenging the status quo... Joe Harper, I salute you! :hysterical:

Here is the link:

Your thoughts?

just sums up the cancer that is growing within pittodrie now !!!!!

#11 Guest_rocket_scientist_*

Guest_rocket_scientist_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:32 PM

If I'm not mistaken, he termed himself upon appointment as the "Executive Football Consultant", did he not? The clue is in the first word... To me that implies that he is there to make EXECUTIVE decisions regarding the product on the park. As investment is key to this, I would expect him to at least make the effort to get involved, rather than parrot Milne's excuses for their failure (unrealistic expectations, anyone?)

How do we know no-one wants to invest, if Miller won't make the effort to sell himself to prospective investors? As has been highlighted by Harper and some posters above, his name is far, FAR more attractive to them than Angela in the office.

Be that as it may, he still stands out as the only high-profile name to have stood up to the regime of late. As I was trying to say at the beginning of the thread, if more fans watch the link, they just might see things they were previously unaware of and who knows, they may even be tempted to follow in Joey's footsteps and apply the necessary pressure. We can but hope...

F u c k i n g genius post, Jocky Balboa.

You speak sense. If people on here can't see it, take comfort that we in the real world, do. Quality. If I did smileys, I'd use them for emphatic effect right here.

#12 OFFLINE   kennymac

kennymac

Having one star is better than none at all.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
  • Joined 03-August 08

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:49 PM

nail head hammer :hysterical:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#13 OFFLINE   athenaeum

athenaeum

Senior Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Joined 19-January 08

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:18 AM

Posted Image

Some player back in the day :cheers:
God speed the day when i'm on my way to my home in Aberdeen

#14 OFFLINE   Jocky Balboa

Jocky Balboa

Dons Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,695 posts
  • Joined 23-March 08

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:16 AM

F u c k i n g genius post, Jocky Balboa.

You speak sense. If people on here can't see it, take comfort that we in the real world, do. Quality. If I did smileys, I'd use them for emphatic effect right here.

Thank you, kind sir! ;)

#15 OFFLINE   1903don

1903don

Breakthrough Player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Joined 06-February 08

Posted 02 October 2008 - 04:30 PM

Thank you, kind sir! :thumbup1:

Willie Miller is a ***k*ng disgrace in this video he should be sacked and shot for this! He is not a legend of aberdeen anymore in my eyes!

#16 Guest_rocket_scientist_*

Guest_rocket_scientist_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 02 October 2008 - 04:51 PM

Willie Miller is a ***k*ng disgrace in this video he should be sacked and shot for this! He is not a legend of aberdeen anymore in my eyes!

He always has been a disgrace of a human. The ostriches never entertained this possibility. I only care about AFC. He only cares about Willie Miller.

#17 OFFLINE   fatshaft

fatshaft

Deceased 6th may 2013

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,133 posts
  • Joined 17-September 06

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:11 PM

He always has been a disgrace of a human. The ostriches never entertained this possibility. I only care about AFC. He only cares about Willie Miller.

You are one bitter man. You can question his ability, and personality, and he's no PR guy for sure, or people person, but a disgrace of a human?

Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 OFFLINE   Old Wing Stand

Old Wing Stand

Dons Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts
  • Joined 26-November 07

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:57 PM

I wish King Joey was 40 years younger he would show Mackie, Miller and all the rest how to score

#19 OFFLINE   Jocky Balboa

Jocky Balboa

Dons Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,695 posts
  • Joined 23-March 08

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:04 PM

It quite clearly shows that he has little interest in the Club's fortunes. I said it before and I'll say it again - Executive Football Consultant. He is there as an EXECUTIVE whose job it is to CONSULT, is it not?

Sitting there lazily slumped in a chair and proclaiming "it's no ma joab, by ra way!" is a dereliction of duty and in any other profession (or indeed in this profession, were he not riding on his own coattails as a player) a sackable offence.

#20 OFFLINE   fatshaft

fatshaft

Deceased 6th may 2013

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,133 posts
  • Joined 17-September 06

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:43 AM

It quite clearly shows that he has little interest in the Club's fortunes. I said it before and I'll say it again - Executive Football Consultant. He is there as an EXECUTIVE whose job it is to CONSULT, is it not?

Sitting there lazily slumped in a chair and proclaiming "it's no ma joab, by ra way!" is a dereliction of duty and in any other profession (or indeed in this profession, were he not riding on his own coattails as a player) a sackable offence.

In fairness, if you're going to make executive & consultant his job description, then he's actually 100% correct in what he says.

Having now watched it again, a number of things strikes me, JC does a very good job of fielding the questions here,not his usual bagful of cliches.

Joe Harper does a very good job here, and I suspect (but only suspect) his question was based on knowing full well that Willie does no sales stuff whatsoever.

Willie is clearly a bit put off stride with the question, slearly not expecting it. He either takes it literally, which it does appear from the clip, and thinks Joey means actually rolling up to Shell's front door, and asking to speak to the headmaster, or, and it's a stretch, he means that he isn't the one metaphorically knocking on doors, which could mean he is there at any sales pitch. Could, but due to Joey posing the pointed question, it seems unlikely that he is. In his defence, the budget has increased by 1m a year since he came along, so he can justifiably point to progress, as he can on the pitch over what went before. Of course now we appear to have peaked, and more needs to be done.

What is evident however is that marketing and promotions departments, when doing their job well, invariably get results. They do however need resources, and if 'Angela' is it, then AFC need to have a couple more bodies engaged in this area, as clealry they are not getting much in the way of results, nor do they seem to have much visible precense. At <50k a year, surely AFC can employ a couple of marketing gurus?

Finally, Rocket's post at 5.51 yesterday is even more of a disgraceful statement to make than it was first time of reading. To hear talk of a Dons legend, the Dons legend, in such a way, from a so called Dons fan is embarrassing.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#21 OFFLINE   K-9

K-9

Chairman

• Members
  • 23,788 posts
  • Joined 19-January 06

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:00 AM

Questions handled with ease as the panel know the questions coming up.

#22 OFFLINE   Bobby Connor

Bobby Connor

You are a boring F**Cunt!

• Admin
  • 15,993 posts
  • Joined 21-December 06

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:07 AM

Questions handled with ease as the panel know the questions coming up.

Aye, but the Joey one was definitely a curve ball.

Any more unexpected questions and it could have turned into a shouting match. :thumbsdown:
Posted ImageDAYS OFF THE BOOZE - 0DAYS OFF GAMBLING - 13516MINUTES OFF SMOKING - 30

#23 OFFLINE   vanderark14

vanderark14

Chairman

• Members
  • 27,799 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:19 AM

Aye, but the Joey one was definitely a curve ball.

Any more unexpected questions and it could have turned into a shouting match. :thumbsdown:

i definately think rocket scientist should attend the next EE forum.
COYR

#24 Guest_rocket_scientist_*

Guest_rocket_scientist_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:23 AM

i definately think rocket scientist should attend the next EE forum.

I will be asking my first question this decade at the next AGM!

#25 OFFLINE   vanderark14

vanderark14

Chairman

• Members
  • 27,799 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:26 AM

I will be asking my first question this decade at the next AGM!

i hope it gets on to youtube like the last one did then
COYR

#26 Guest_rocket_scientist_*

Guest_rocket_scientist_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:39 AM

i hope it gets on to youtube like the last one did then

Wow. What are you on about? Never been on film or video on youtube in my life.

#27 OFFLINE   vanderark14

vanderark14

Chairman

• Members
  • 27,799 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:40 AM

Wow. What are you on about? Never been on film or video on youtube in my life.

i mean the last ee forum
COYR

#28 OFFLINE   steems

steems

Senior Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Joined 06-October 05

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:40 AM

Finally, Rocket's post at 5.51 yesterday is even more of a disgraceful statement to make than it was first time of reading. To hear talk of a Dons legend, the Dons legend, in such a way, from a so called Dons fan is embarrassing.

Give it a rest, you are so boring. Willie Miller is a legend he is also an erse of a person.

With regard to the video - thats probably the best I have heard Calderwood come across - pity he was not like that more often.

#29 OFFLINE   fatshaft

fatshaft

Deceased 6th may 2013

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,133 posts
  • Joined 17-September 06

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:49 AM

Give it a rest, you are so boring.

Hi steems, havn't seen you in a while. There have been quite a few 'FFS' going on lately, I hope you have the time to reprimand everyone who offends you by using the abbreviation. Or do you only do that when defending Rocket?

Posted ImagePosted Image

#30 Guest_rocket_scientist_*

Guest_rocket_scientist_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:56 AM

Give it a rest, you are so boring. Willie Miller is a legend he is also an erse of a person.

With regard to the video - thats probably the best I have heard Calderwood come across - pity he was not like that more often.

Thats the best Calderwood has come across. Even then, he still doesn't convince, but miles better than the usual pisch press performance.

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users