Steve Clarke's First Squad

The more I watch it the more I think its ridiculous McKenna is being blamed. That is a great piece of movement from Lukaku to get the space.

Spot on. I even hit the rewind button to show my boy the movement from Lukaku. (He's 13 and fancies himself as a striker)

Without that movement he doesn't score. Subtle bit of class that sometimes goes unnoticed.

I think McKenna could have done a bit better.

He took a look behind and knew Lukaku was there then turned to watch the ball come in and ended up underneath the ball and not knowing where Lukaku had moved to.

I think he should have kept his eye on his man. Though the others are also far from blameless giving their most creative player loads of time and space to pick out his cross.

In the main though, I think Scott had a good game. That's a difficult front three to play against and Lukaku is a handful. All part of the learning experience.

The score wasn't beyond what most of us expected, but we need perspective here; Clarke has barely got his feet under the desk, yet has already made us look far, far better organised as a unit (until the first goal, we had exceeded all reasonable expectations. Conversely, if McLeish had been in charge it'd likely have been 6-0 or worse).

I'm confident that, if we give him time and if the up-and-coming players develop their game, we can at least have a fighting chance in the Nations League playoffs - which will get us to the Euros.

I think by the time we get the second crack at the whip for qualifying via the play off games, Clarke will have us in a better place.

Very doubtful we’ll get 2nd in the group now but we’ll be better off for having had to match up against Belgium and the Russians (they have a big unit playing up front too who McKenna will only improve from playing against).

Clarke should probably have us very well organised and with a plan by the time we play, Finland, is it? You could see even in last night’s game that we’re better organised and have a good shape. Even on the rare occasions when we had the ball we seemed to knock it around well.

Just a pity Burke has pretty woeful touch and awareness for a professional footballer. We might have retained the ball longer at times.

I think McKenna could have done a bit better.

He took a look behind and knew Lukaku was there then turned to watch the ball come in and ended up underneath the ball and not knowing where Lukaku had moved to.

I think he should have kept his eye on his man. Though the others are also far from blameless giving their most creative player loads of time and space to pick out his cross.

In the main though, I think Scott had a good game. That's a difficult front three to play against and Lukaku is a handful. All part of the learning experience.

Disagree. Normally he would have stepped out but couldn't due to the ball coming from the by-line. The other option is to get closer and goal side, but he didn't have enough time, so the only thing he can do is position himself to block the cross.  Lukaku gets a run on him and BOSH!   goal. Also the cross is 100 percent pinpoint.

McKenna not at fault here

• Upvote 2

Disagree. Normally he would have stepped out but couldn't due to the ball coming from the by-line. The other option is to get closer and goal side, but he didn't have enough time, so the only thing he can do is position himself to block the cross.  Lukaku gets a run on him and BOSH!   goal. Also the cross is 100 percent pinpoint.

McKenna not at fault here

Nailed it.

Still early days for me. Clarke needs a few more games yet before we can see if he really makes a difference.

I think he already has. The team appear to have a bit more belief in themselves and Clarke sounds like he knows what he's talking about in post match interviews. Gives the impression he's saying all the right stuff in the dressing room. I've a growing respect for the guy's abilities and would happily see him as Aberdeen manager.

I just don’t get it. Clearly firing 5 players up front would be foolhardy but if you have a go and chase down at every opportunity snap at their legs, let them know they are getting no time on the back , surely the way forward.

Clearly you will be fucked after 80 minutes and might get picked off but you would still get applauded off the park by everyone.

Just have a fucking go within reason.

FFS, Yes that’s exactly what I said, centre halves charging into challenges on the right wing. Clearly not.

Sitting off better teams inevitably ends in defeat, run yourself into the ground with the player you are up against snap at him, no time on the ball see what Pep / Klopp does, no reason to not be fit enough. You may well get picked off anyway or be totally fucked at the end of the game but at least have a go.

McFadden has went from a Scottish footballing hero to a wee prick. The fact that he can't see why he and McLeish were jettisoned shows he'll never make it as a coach. He can't see what went wrong and his own part in it, so he'll never learn. Having a pop at folk like me who booed that shower of shite in San Marino is pathetic.

McFadden has went from a Scottish footballing hero to a wee prick. The fact that he can't see why he and McLeish were jettisoned shows he'll never make it as a coach. He can't see what went wrong and his own part in it, so he'll never learn. Having a pop at folk like me who booed that shower of shite in San Marino is pathetic.

Agreed.

His logic is bewildering as well. It's OK that we (Scotland) lost to the Kazakhs because Kairat Almaty papped us (The Famous) out of the Europa League 4 years ago?

Blithering idiot. Next stop assistant coach at some League Two dross.

Agreed.

His logic is bewildering as well. It's OK that we (Scotland) lost to the Kazakhs because Kairat Almaty papped us (The Famous) out of the Europa League 4 years ago?

Blithering idiot. Next stop assistant coach at some League Two dross.

Exactly he compares the national team to clubs that are full of well paid foreigners, they same national team that were pumped 4-0 in there next home game to Russia

Clarke has done nothing that a squad assembled by McLeish wouldn't have achieved. Scrambling a result against Cyprus then letting Belgium practice shooting is nothing like progress.

Russia will comfortably beat Scotland in Russia, Scotland might scramble a draw at Hampden. Playing for 3rd at best, likely finish 4th.

Clarke has done nothing that a squad assembled by McLeish wouldn't have achieved. Scrambling a result against Cyprus then letting Belgium practice shooting is nothing like progress.

Russia will comfortably beat Scotland in Russia, Scotland might scramble a draw at Hampden. Playing for 3rd at best, likely finish 4th.

Half of those wouldn't have turned up for McLeish and we would've either drawn or lost against Cyprus followed by an absolute gubbing from Belgium. I agree we're playing for third but under McLeish we'd be struggling for fourth.

Isn't that ignoring the real problem? - McLeish has already fucked this campaign with the shambles against Kazakhstan.

That's the sort of thing Clarke has to ensure doesnt happen under his watch - he's not here to turn Scotland into Belgium.

£100 charity bet that Scotland do not finish 4th or lower in the qualifying group?