AFC-Chat - Recommended by 9/10 Westhill housewives.

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes
Match Thread

Aberdeen v Inverness (League Cup Final)

• Please log in to reply
816 replies to this topic

#31 OFFLINE   minijc

minijc

I own the atmosphere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,059 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

Any news on Pawlett?  Lad I speak to on twitter saying that he's heard he's out for a while and will miss the final, done his hamstring in training on friday according to him.

A sad sad post-teen

#32 OFFLINE   the_shrimp

the_shrimp

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • Joined 22-September 11

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:31 PM

Was anxious about this game until I watched United open them a new orifice this afternoon.

They are pathetic and we will pump them.

3-0 Rooney hat trick - Anderson lifts the cup - The streets of Aberdeen full of pished happy dandies falling out of all the clubs at 2am!!!

#33 OFFLINE   Tord31

Tord31

Chief Executive

• Members
  • 18,395 posts
  • Joined 31-December 06

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:08 PM

Any news on Pawlett?  Lad I speak to on twitter saying that he's heard he's out for a while and will miss the final, done his hamstring in training on friday according to him.

Was laughing and joking on pitch at 2.50pm on Saturday so wouldn't think he was seriously injured at that point?

Craig Bryson & Paul Coutts = the dream team

#34 OFFLINE   Stoney

Stoney

Chairman

• Members
  • 40,186 posts
  • Joined 13-January 11

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:11 PM

Team picks itself.
Lingfield
Logan
Anderson
Reynolds
Considine
Robson
Flood
Mcginn
Pawlett
Hayes
Rooney
Dons by the odd goal. Number one priority is keeping Billy Mckay quiet. Do that and we'll win.

this.

team picks itself
2008 Fisherman of the year
2011 Negative poster of the year
2012 Lifetime Achievement award
3_stars.jpg

I'd like to point out that Stoney seems to be a decent bloke.
I met him at Tynecastle last season and he seemed spot on to me.
So I'd lay off the abuse to him lads.

#35 OFFLINE   caledonia

caledonia

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • Joined 18-June 12

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:12 PM

:fishing:

nice try though

#36 OFFLINE   Byrne Baby Byrne

Byrne Baby Byrne

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,866 posts
  • Joined 02-October 05

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

I can't predict.

Team wise I'd have Robson and Flood together in the middle. The rest picks itself. If we play near our best we can't lose... Please don't fuck up Aberdeen!!

#37 OFFLINE   fine-n-dandy

fine-n-dandy

Troll

• Members
  • 28,967 posts
  • Joined 22-April 08

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:19 PM

McInnes praised Rooney for keeping the Dons on track for a cup double and revealed he hopes Peter Pawlett will be fit for the final.

The midfielder missed the win over the Sons with a sore leg and McInnes said: “I have not ruled Peter in or our out of the final. The medical staff are confident he’ll be fine.

Ding Dong

#38 OFFLINE   Stoney

Stoney

Chairman

• Members
  • 40,186 posts
  • Joined 13-January 11

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

if we play our best we win the game
3_stars.jpg

#39 OFFLINE   minijc

minijc

I own the atmosphere

• Members
  • 26,059 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:36 PM

Was laughing and joking on pitch at 2.50pm on Saturday so wouldn't think he was seriously injured at that point?

That's ok then, I just hope that it's a rumour and nothing else.

:fishing:

nice try though

Not fishing at all, guy said he got a text from a reliable source, I'm just checking to see if anyone has heard anything.

A sad sad post-teen

#40 OFFLINE   fine-n-dandy

fine-n-dandy

Troll

• Members
  • 28,967 posts
  • Joined 22-April 08

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:49 PM

That's ok then, I just hope that it's a rumour and nothing else.

Not fishing at all, guy said he got a text from a reliable source, I'm just checking to see if anyone has heard anything.

Curious as to why he would be training on Fri with a groin strain, if the rumour has any merit

Ding Dong

#41 OFFLINE   caledonia

caledonia

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • Joined 18-June 12

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:32 PM

Match program

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a8be8e35e

#42 OFFLINE   Arild

Arild

Under 19

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Joined 27-August 07

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:43 PM

Wouldn't be too surprised if he picked Jack at right back ahead of Logan. Would probably rather he didn't though.

#43 OFFLINE   Dandyesque

Dandyesque

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,811 posts
  • Joined 05-February 11

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:46 PM

.....................Gordon.........................

Logan,Anderson,Reynolds,Considine

.......Robson/Jack with  Flood...........    (think Robson will start though)

....McGinn.......Pawlett.........Hayes

....................Rooney.........................

Edit. Would maybe have Flood concentrating more on the right side to protect Anderson & Logan & have Jack/Robson on the left hand side of holding mid

You really are mentally ill, aren't you?

19 years, 120 minutes then fucking penalties!

#44 OFFLINE   Tinyweelad

Tinyweelad

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts
  • Joined 01-September 07

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:51 PM

Curious as to why he would be training on Fri with a groin strain, if the rumour has any merit

I think this is probably pish. McInnes said he failed a fitness test on Friday which surprised him, but that he needed another few days to fully recover. It's doubtful that he'd have pulled a hammy during a fitness test, shirley?

when I was a lad, a tiny wee lad, my mither said tae me. go see the dons, the wonderful dons, down at pittodrie

#45 OFFLINE   fine-n-dandy

fine-n-dandy

Troll

• Members
  • 28,967 posts
  • Joined 22-April 08

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:52 PM

You really are mentally ill, aren't you?

You probably take most notice.

thanks for that

Ding Dong

#46 OFFLINE   Tinyweelad

Tinyweelad

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts
  • Joined 01-September 07

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:02 PM

Wouldn't be too surprised if he picked Jack at right back ahead of Logan. Would probably rather he didn't though.

What evidence is there to suggest McInnes would do that?

when I was a lad, a tiny wee lad, my mither said tae me. go see the dons, the wonderful dons, down at pittodrie

#47 OFFLINE   Arild

Arild

Under 19

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Joined 27-August 07

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:28 PM

What evidence is there to suggest McInnes would do that?

No evidence as such although he does seem to like Jack but hopefully recognises he cant play Flood, Robson and Jack in midfield. Logan has been ok but not outstanding so could be unlucky.

#48 OFFLINE   TopDon

TopDon

Senior Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • Joined 24-July 07

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:46 AM

Logan will play, mostly because he is a natural RB. 

Flood and Robson for me.  Can swap things about and stick Jack on if that doesn't work.  Hayes, Mcginn and Pawlett MUST play.

Rooney will score.

#49 OFFLINE   CalgaryDon

CalgaryDon

MontrealDon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts
  • Joined 15-December 13

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:16 AM

Haven't been this nervous and excited for a long long long time. I thought it would be the case that the Aberdeen team will have been focusing on the final since we beat Celtic at Parkhead, and appears to have been fairly apparent in our results/ performances since. We still won the majority of those games in second gear and I imagine the players will be well fired up for this. I also believe Derek Mcinnes will have most definitely have done his homework for this final and will have the players well prepared for this match.

#50 OFFLINE   Scotty_Toronto

Scotty_Toronto

Cults Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • Joined 12-February 14

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:35 AM

Go with the same starting line-up that beat Celtic at Celtic Park.

Langfield (Weaver)

Logan Anderson Reynolds Considine (Shaughnessy)

Flood Robson (Jack)

McGinn Pawlett Hayes (Smith)

Rooney (Vernon)

Aberdeen to win 3-0 or 3-1

#51 OFFLINE   King Street Loon

King Street Loon

Experienced Campaigner

• Members
  • 19,979 posts
  • Joined 13-July 08

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:26 AM

Keith Jackshun take on Aberdeen's resurgence.

Not a bad piece considering it came form him.

http://www.dailyreco...nes-can-3225481

DEREK McINNES has done the first part of the job. A huge red monster has been poked in the ribs. Consciousness has now been successfully regained.

But here’s the trouble with waking a sleeping giant. You better make sure it gets out of the right side of the bed because you wouldn’t like it when it’s angry.

And you most certainly don’t want to be the cause of its ire.

For example, if McInnes does not win the League Cup Final – after watching the abysmal manner in which Inverness Caley Thistle self-destructed against Dundee United yesterday – then he may suddenly find himself with some explaining to do.

Worse still, even if McInnes does deliver the Pittodrie punters with their first piece of silver since 1995 on Sunday, he might still be chased the length of Union Street by the natives should somehow fate dictate that he loses a Scottish Cup Final to Rangers.

Now don’t laugh. I’m serious. Okay so first Ally McCoist will have to find a way of getting past Albion Rovers in a replay next week. And you wouldn’t bet bad money on them doing anything of the kind.

Then – against all odds – they’ll have to deal with the effervescence of Dundee United in the semis.

At the same time, McInnes will have to negotiate a way past St Johnstone.

But the truth is if Rangers somehow make it to the Final, McInnes might never recover from the shame of not seeing this lot off.

In fact, the most damning thing about this latest Rangers humiliation is it did not even register as a shock to see them scrambling to salvage a 1-1 draw against a team of part-time kids on £20 a week.

A mild surprise? Perhaps. Shockingly unprofessional? Absolutely.

But anyone who was actually, genuinely left slack-jawed in amazement at what went on at Ibrox yesterday afternoon has clearly not been paying due attention to the mess this club has made of itself on and off the park in recent times.

So woe betide McInnes then if he should somehow find a way not to do away with his old club. Aberdeen, you see, are standing on the shoulders of history.

For more years now than anyone cares to remember this has been one big Incredible Sulk of a football club.

Consistently, almost without fail in fact it has punched way below its weight. Often embarrassingly so.

But two cups and a second-placed finish in the league can end all that.

To put it simply even though there was a similar high point back in 1990 the recent years of bottom-six finishes and the ensuing onset of being comatose this could be the single greatest Aberdeen awakening since Gothenburg. Or it could take crestfallen to new levels.

But before it goes one way or the other let’s add a sense of perspective to Aberdeen’s rise while 
remembering “In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is King”.

We could rework that old saying for the modern-day game in this country. In the land of the 
incompetents, the mediocre man wins medals.

And before this mighty and mobilising Red Army starts frothing at the mouth let me make one thing clear. Recently in these very pages, not only did I write that Aberdeen are now well and truly back but, what is more, all of Scottish football should be glad about it.

The fact they have shifted more than 40,000 tickets for Sunday’s cup final at Celtic Park merely confirms that a healthy, vibrant Aberdeen is good for business.

The game in this country doesn’t have a lot going for it right now but the resurgence of this club under the impressively astute McInnes is something that should be cherished and encouraged. They have been out cold up north for far too long.

But while all of that is true, it would be absurd to start fawning over this Aberdeen team or to mistake McInnes’s players for a new batch of Willie Millers, Alex McLeishs and Mark McGhees when evidently they are not. In today’s world they do not need to be.

Aberdeen must only achieve competence to emerge as this country’s second force.

McInnes has simply been smart enough to recognise this as a fact.

Just look at the slapstick defending that cost Inverness their place in the semi-finals yesterday. Some of it was hysterical. Much of it was beyond parody.

And this from a team competing in the last eight of the Scottish Cup? It would not seem unreasonable to expect better of a team playing on a public park.

In the current climate, simply being competent, resolute and organised is enough to turn any team into genuine contenders. The difference at Pittodrie is McInnes is both smart enough to realise it and capable enough to make it happen.

When he brought in Barry Robson and Willo Flood in the summer, McInnes was hanging his hat on the tried and tested.

Men who have been over the course and back again.

Even at the peak of their powers they were never considered to be world beaters.

Their career highs came and went more than five years ago when both of them ended up at Gordon 
Strachan’s Celtic. The truth is, they’ve been on a downward trajectory ever since.

The fact they are now the joint powerhouses in Aberdeen’s engine room suggests clearly the decline of the Scottish game has been a great deal steeper and faster than that of their own.

McInnes was shrewd enough to identify even if this pair’s best days are beyond them they are still better than most of their contemporaries.

And it was the same in January when McInnes pulled off another fine piece of business in bringing Adam Rooney back to the Scottish top flight.

That signing, in my view, secured second spot in the table. It may well turn out to have bought McInnes a cup double too.

And yet the reason Rooney was available for free was because he had just been released by League One outfit Oldham, despite his previously prolific stint in Inverness.

On Saturday, Rooney scored his sixth goal in eight appearances for Aberdeen to knock Dumbarton out of the Scottish Cup quarters.

McInnes conceded after that nervy 1-0 win some of his players are starting to feel the pressure that comes with the weight of expectation bearing down on their slender shoulders.

That’s human nature and perfectly understandable. But they should worry not. They are the best of the rest and now is no time for self-doubt to get in their way and stop them from reaching out to claim what is theirs.

It’s not rocket science. They have the second-best team in the country because they have assembled the second-best group of players.

McInnes has spent well. His squad’s wage bill is significantly short of £2million and miles shy of the £6m currently being wasted by Rangers.

Which just goes to show sound management is not just as simple as signing big cheques.

Yes, McInnes has made Aberdeen a force again. He had better not blow it all now.

The Northern Lights of old Aberdeen

Mean home sweet home to me

The Northern Lights of Aberdeen

Are what I long to see

I've been a wanderer all of my life

And many a sight I've seen

God speed the day when l'm on my way

To my home in Aberdeen!!

#52 OFFLINE   Stoney

Stoney

Chairman

• Members
  • 40,186 posts
  • Joined 13-January 11

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:33 AM

Go with whats been said,

Jack at right back or not at all for me. 

Simply has to be the midfield of Robson / Flood and attacking options of Hayes Mcginn and pawlett. 

Its our best midfield by some distance. 

3_stars.jpg

#53 OFFLINE   ericblack4boss

ericblack4boss

My name is Brian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,020 posts
  • Joined 17-February 08

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

I feel sorry for poor yo go, having to home greeting to his mum and dad saying his team got beaten, saying they were "shree" nil down at half time.

A MAN OF THE DON, IS WORTH TWO OF THE DEE!

#54 OFFLINE   Ingolfsson

Ingolfsson

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
  • Joined 25-September 07

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

Go with whats been said,

Jack at right back or not at all for me. 

Simply has to be the midfield of Robson / Flood and attacking options of Hayes Mcginn and pawlett. 

Its our best midfield by some distance. 

Totally agree Stoney. Fucking imperative. Even though he's a centre mid, Jack's also our best right-back.

#55 OFFLINE   Geoff_Tipps

Geoff_Tipps

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts
  • Joined 13-January 11

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:15 PM

I would personally have Jack and Robson anchoring. Flood is far to guilty of giving the ball away inexplicably. Tough decision for Deek.

The only way he could really get it wrong is by playing all three of them.
Geoff Tipps: Well, things finally started going my way ladies and gentlemen. In 84 both our mothers got badly sick, mine, thank God, she got better. But yours DIED didn't she Mike? Didn't she?[Mike, in great pain and sorrow nods]Geoff Tipps: Yeah, I won that. At least I won the mums!

#56 OFFLINE   The Cockney Don

The Cockney Don

Yiddo & a Don

• Members
  • 12,435 posts
  • Joined 31-October 13

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

IN

2-0 Dons (Considine & McGinn)

:trophy:

#57 OFFLINE   Bigslick

Bigslick

Breakthrough Player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Joined 28-April 12

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

I would personally have Jack and Robson anchoring. Flood is far to guilty of giving the ball away inexplicably. Tough decision for Deek.

The only way he could really get it wrong is by playing all three of them.

This for me.

And the rest of the team picks itself.

#58 OFFLINE   tommo1903

tommo1903

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,988 posts
  • Joined 18-January 11

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:29 PM

What I would pick

Langers

Logan

Anderson

Reynolds

Considine

Flood

Robson

McGinn (right wing)

Pawlett

Hayes (left wing)

Rooney

Bench - Weaver, Shaugnessey, Smith, Vernon, Jack.

What I think he may very well go with:

Langfield

Logan

Anderson

Reynolds

Considine

Flood

Jack

Robson (Right Midfield)

Pawlett

Hayes (Left Wing)

Rooney

Bench - Weaver, Tate, Smith, Vernon, McGinn.

#59 OFFLINE   RTYD

RTYD

Director of Football

• Site Sponsor
  • 10,680 posts
  • Joined 13-March 07

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

.....................Gordon.........................

Logan,Anderson,Reynolds,Considine

.......Robson/Jack with  Flood...........    (think Robson will start though)

....McGinn.......Pawlett.........Hayes

....................Rooney.........................

Edit. Would maybe have Flood concentrating more on the right side to protect Anderson & Logan & have Jack/Robson on the left hand side of holding mid

I agree with your keeper.

"So RTYD, tell me again. There used to be a club called Rangers and they played in Govan?""Correct""What were they like?""Leeches who cheated their way to titles.""Oh, a bit like Celtic then."

#60 OFFLINE   RTYD

RTYD

Director of Football

• Site Sponsor
  • 10,680 posts
  • Joined 13-March 07

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

For me most of side picks itself 

Langfield.

Logan.

Anderson.

Reynolds.

Considine.

Flood.

Robson.

Pawlett.

McGinn.

Rooney.

Hayes.

Subs. Weaver. Tate. Jack. Vernon. Smith.

The only choice to be made is Jack to start or not. Must say I'm not  convinced by McGinn either and there  is no doubt he has watched Low and Smith overtake him in deserving a starting slot.

But I'll give him another chance mainly because of his ability to offer down the wing, or up front,  but I'd have no complaints if he was on bench for start.

Not bad. I'd drop Vernon from the bench and put Low in.

"So RTYD, tell me again. There used to be a club called Rangers and they played in Govan?""Correct""What were they like?""Leeches who cheated their way to titles.""Oh, a bit like Celtic then."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Match Thread (League Cup)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users