Snap General Election Announced Today

vanderark14

Without a doubt.

Surely there's no way the SNP can do as well as they did in 2015. A lower return in seats will give the Westminster government a fairly solid argument that the people of Scotland are against a second referendum - well that's what they'll say anyway.

The stars are aligning for the Tories it has to be said.

It depends really. SNP are the sole party to vote for if you support an independence referendum. It is up to one party to collate the votes of those against, and I'm not quite sure what party people will fall under in that regard. Can you really see it being a Tory party moving further to the right?

While there is no doubt that the Tories will win the election, I do wonder if this allows the SNP to further their mandate for another independence referendum. Perhaps May and Co see is it as potential for an inroads up here...

I think you are right, I also think they'd take some seats off the SNP in Scotland. Shrewd move by Maggie May

I agree with both of you, the conservatives are shit but I think they will certainly be more competitive up here just now.

Nicola Sturgeon is looking like a sabre rattling fud with her haste for indyref2, they can only loose out of a general election just now - there is no gain for them.

May has certainly played her better than cameron did.

While there is no doubt that the Tories will win the election, I do wonder if this allows the SNP to further their mandate for another independence referendum. Perhaps May and Co see is it as potential for an inroads up here...

The opposition parties in Holyrood will make this GE all about indiref 2 and will try and take the focus off of Brexit .

The opposition parties in Holyrood will make this GE all about indiref 2 and will try and take the focus off of Brexit .

The SNP have interlinked those two as much as the opposition parties have though. Sturgeon has led the Scottish Parliament to a position whereby their preferred response to a Hard Brexit is to ask for a second independence referendum. Now they have no option to run with that as a mandate for a Westminster election.

Will just be interesting to see how the pro-independence pro-Brexit people align themselves in this election. Can't see a huge shift from the SNP apart from in that demographic.

The SNP have interlinked those two as much as the opposition parties have though. Sturgeon has led the Scottish Parliament to a position whereby their preferred response to a Hard Brexit is to ask for a second independence referendum. Now they have no option to run with that as a mandate for a Westminster election.

Will just be interesting to see how the pro-independence pro-Brexit people align themselves in this election. Can't see a huge shift from the SNP apart from in that demographic.

The most interesting seat in Scotland could be Dumfriesshire, the Conservatives won that seat in 2015 by less that 1000 votes. Dumfriesshire also voted to remain by more that 5000 vote in the referendum.

This could backfire on May by completely kicking her party out of Scotland.

Clever move from May. Chance to vote out some of the SNP from Scotland whilst reinforcing their position on the rest of the UK.

It will take some swings to do that.

The SNP took 50% of the vote in the last GE, the Conservatives took 15%

Labour continue to struggle, the Lib Dems are the same. Its shaping up for a slug out between the SNP and the Conservatives, I doubt the Conservatives will be able to make much of a dent.

So you wont vote for a party because some of them whistle?

Great way to make an informed decision.

Sturgeon was already testing my support for the SNP. Scottish MPs whistling the EU anthem in parliament was the final straw. Whistle flower of Scotland or Scotland the brave or something.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sturgeon was already testing my support for the SNP. Scottish MPs whistling the EU anthem in parliament was the final straw. Whistle flower of Scotland or Scotland the brave or something.

so if they'd whistled flower of scotland, are you sayiing you'd have voted SNP?

strange man indeed :hysterical:

• Upvote 1

It was cringeworthy. Whistling flower of Scotland would have been just as cringeworthy, imo

• Upvote 1

Why was Sturgeon testing your SNP support?

What would Flower of Scotland have to do with a Brexit vote? Wouldnt that be more fitting if Scottish independence was voted for?