What Makes A Great City?

alscotoz

Top two cities in my book are New York and Paris.

New York is the kind of place you have to be trying to not have a good time to not have a good time, Paris is just fucking brilliant in terms of scenery, history, and people.

Worst, Moscow and Athens.

Russians are not exactly people people, and the rudest cunts I ever encountered live there, despite me actually trying to learn the lingo a bit in my time there. Usually that will win you points with the locals even if, like me, you know you're murdering their language.

Want to get to Istanbul, though. That is HIGH on my to do list.

Istanbul is good, Ankara is better.

aye speak up tup.

I've seen a picture of you.

Ooooooh.

Probably, there are probably about 7 million pics of me in existence

Different pictures or just the same one circulated on flyers and posters outside schools and other childrens play areas?

• Upvote 5

The woohoo bides in Melbourne and loves it. No.1 baby.

Good weather (proper seasons: cald winter, hot summer with everything in between) asides from the days it'll get above 40c, fuck at.

Public transport here is good although after 6 years here i have my grumbles.

But folk are right, boozers, restaurants and things to do, are all you need.

Aberdeen's up there though imo (in my opinion).

• Upvote 1

Good weather (proper seasons: cald winter, hot summer with everything in between) asides from the days it'll get above 40c, fuck at.

Top two cities in my book are New York and Paris.

New York is the kind of place you have to be trying to not have a good time to not have a good time, Paris is just fucking brilliant in terms of scenery, history, and people.

Worst, Moscow and Athens.

Russians are not exactly people people, and the rudest cunts I ever encountered live there, despite me actually trying to learn the lingo a bit in my time there. Usually that will win you points with the locals even if, like me, you know you're murdering their language.

I loved Athens - amazing atmosphere to the place I thought! Hard to explain - felt like I was in a proper city!

Off to Moscow & St. Petersburg next year... looking forward to it.

Melbourne would be pretty close to my favourite city, in fairness... if I was 21 again, I'd probably live there. I love live sports and it's basically the sporting capital of the world. The lack of beaches is the major issue for me though. Minor issues with the unreliable summer and cold winters.

Australia is an over price country, way of living may be great but it's fucking expensive to live in.

All relative. After weather and way of living, the fact everything is so cheap is of huge appeal to us.

For a lot of Australians now, Australia is an expensive place to live. Maybe the lifestyle makes up for it a little but if you're spending most of your income on purely existing, your access to the lifestyle is limited.

As the years have passed (especially the last 10), I'm leaning berto's way. Maybe for you Brian, you will find it 'cheap' but I don't know the circumstances you are from ( I think you said you were coming out here?)

PS Perth to me is a place a lot of Brits move to because they aren't properly prepared to leave the UK behind; 'safety in numbers'...unless their skills are required for the resources sector and can't be accessed here.

For a lot of Australians now, Australia is an expensive place to live. Maybe the lifestyle makes up for it a little but if you're spending most of your income on purely existing, your access to the lifestyle is limited.

As the years have passed (especially the last 10), I'm leaning berto's way. Maybe for you Brian, you will find it 'cheap' but I don't know the circumstances you are from ( I think you said you were coming out here?)

PS Perth to me is a place a lot of Brits move to because they aren't properly prepared to leave the UK behind; 'safety in numbers'...unless their skills are required for the resources sector and can't be accessed here.

We were in Oz in April and compared to Norway things like takeaways and other entertainment are cheaper but not hugely so.

What is way cheaper is food. The selection is mind blowing when you live here.

What is also a major difference is the amount of free things there are to do. We have nothing like that here.

Don't think it's anything to do with that... Perth is where the jobs have been for the past 10 years. Particularly in the resources sector... or if you are a tradesman. That's changing now, since the economic downturn in WA. There are no jobs now, and the construction boom, both domestically and in the Iron Ore and LNG industries, has finished.

The other attraction is the weather here - for me, it's the biggest thing. Melbourne is great, but the crap weather is a turn-off for me. Ultimately better off back in UK, closer to friends and family - you find everything that Melbourne has in the UK. But you cannot find a climate like Perth!

i think Norway is one of the few countries, where you could move to Aus and find it cheaper!

i wouldn't have ranked Toronto top 5/6 in the world.

for liveability (infrastructure, getting around, housing costs), i'd have rated Montreal higher.

but what do i know.

Toronto is fantastic. Ranks way above Vancouver in my book. Vancouver is a wanky/pretentious IMO.

I think I'd prefer a visit to the dentist than to the Edinburgh Festival.

Pile of student nonsense thon.

Aye but you're a guy who's stuck in the 70's and lives in the arse end of nowhere. You'd probably be frightened walking in to a pub and seeing more than 3 people that you hadn't already met.

Being away has made you look through rose-tinted glasses. Aberdeen is a fucking shite city. :hysterical:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Don't think it's anything to do with that... Perth is where the jobs have been for the past 10 years. Particularly in the resources sector... or if you are a tradesman. That's changing now, since the economic downturn in WA. There are no jobs now, and the construction boom, both domestically and in the Iron Ore and LNG industries, has finished.

The other attraction is the weather here - for me, it's the biggest thing. Melbourne is great, but the crap weather is a turn-off for me. Ultimately better off back in UK, closer to friends and family - you find everything that Melbourne has in the UK. But you cannot find a climate like Perth!

i think Norway is one of the few countries, where you could move to Aus and find it cheaper!

Perth/WA is a place i hope to visit one day, after I've visited more of Asia. Melbourne has 'crap' weather for max 4 months of the year (relative to the UK - 14C today in Melbourne in dead of winter, 19C in Aberdeen, height of summer)

I wasn't talking about Brits who moved to Perth in the last 10 years, I'm talking historically.

For me Perth is one of the least attractive cities on the planet.

Mostly cause it's modern and in the middle of fuckin nowhere.

Moving all around the globe I don't understand why you'd live there; but not the 'better' cities like Sydney, Melbourne.

Oz is like Canada and Scandinavia; Trendy.

Been to all of them and they don't seem any better than the US, NZ; or any Northern European country.

I loved Athens - amazing atmosphere to the place I thought! Hard to explain - felt like I was in a proper city!

Off to Moscow & St. Petersburg next year... looking forward to it.

Melbourne would be pretty close to my favourite city, in fairness... if I was 21 again, I'd probably live there. I love live sports and it's basically the sporting capital of the world. The lack of beaches is the major issue for me though. Minor issues with the unreliable summer and cold winters.

I lived in Moscow for close on 4 years. Great for tourists but not for working and living there. I see Calgary where I now live) came 5th equal with Adelaide as the best places to live. One thing the survey didn't cover was house prices which I suspect would have bumped the Canadian cities down in ratings.

Paris is a stinking shithole full of Africans and expensive booze.

Fuck knows why dumb bitches think its some romantic getaway.

During the RWC in 07 I paid 20€ for a liter of krone bourgeois.

Didn't bother me I just wanted to drink a stein quickly

But aye, on my trip this year really noticed the poor quality \ relative high price of the std beers

Almost as bad as Denmark

Poor compared to nearby Belgium.

The food tho made up for it, but nae the waiters

Aside from that, brilliant place