New Puppy

Farminator

Looking at bringing a puppy into our family. Been on all the dog buyers sites to try and get an idea of what to go for. Was thinking along the the lines of a border collie but would like to hear some advice from dog owners on what their experiences have been. Was thinking about a rescue dog but wasnt sure how they would adapt to a new home. Also wouldnt be against having a more mature dog as apposed to a puppy

Looking at bringing a puppy into our family. Been on all the dog buyers sites to try and get an idea of what to go for. Was thinking along the the lines of a border collie but would like to hear some advice from dog owners on what their experiences have been. Was thinking about a rescue dog but wasnt sure how they would adapt to a new home. Also wouldnt be against having a more mature dog as apposed to a puppy

If you've got young kids then go with friendly breeds: Collie or Labrador, however be honest with yourself regarding your free time as such breeds need a lot of exercise. If you can't provide that go for something smaller like a Papillon that will basically keep itself interested.

Getting a dog from a shelter is a good idea but only if your kids are old enough to understand that the dog may have been mistreated and therefore a greater level of sensitivity is required in the first few months. Another advantage of getting a dog from a shelter is that in most cases it will already have been house trained.

If you've got young kids then go with friendly breeds: Collie or Labrador, however be honest with yourself regarding your free time as such breeds need a lot of exercise. If you can't provide that go for something smaller like a Papillon that will basically keep itself interested.

Getting a dog from a shelter is a good idea but only if your kids are old enough to understand that the dog may have been mistreated and therefore a greater level of sensitivity is required in the first few months. Another advantage of getting a dog from a shelter is that in most cases it will already have been house trained.

My wife's bairn is 11 and my two are 18 and 19 so the young children won't be an issue.

Been looking into it a bit more and can't believe how many staffies are in the need of re-homing. I started to look into the breed and found out they are one of the most friendly breeds so got a lot to think about before I dive in and will hopefully make the right decision in the end

My wife's bairn is 11 and my two are 18 and 19 so the young children won't be an issue.

Been looking into it a bit more and can't believe how many staffies are in the need of re-homing. I started to look into the breed and found out they are one of the most friendly breeds so got a lot to think about before I dive in and will hopefully make the right decision in the end

I don't want to sounds like more of an arse [than usual] but don't think of it as making one big spot-on decision but more like one ok decision [the dog] and lots of little good ones along the way [taking care and adapting to it]. Best of luck.

Because they devil dogs for minkers.

My dog, a wee mongrel, was a rescue dog. He'd been taken in one night by the police, he'd been found out wandering about with no collar or microchip. He was house trained and really friendly, learned his name really quickly and in general has been no hassle at all. The major thing to take into account is time, will you have the time to take them out/train them. If they will be alone during the day while everyone is at school/work then there is a fair chance you'll start getting problems. I work from home and the Mrs is a student so he's hardly ever alone but they are pack animals so can develop seperation anxiety and start chewing/pishing/shitting every where.

Most problems with dogs come from them not getting enough exercise. Take them out and chuck a ball for them for an hour, twice a day and for the rest of the time they'll mostly just sleep. The aggressive, barky ones are badly trained or bored.

If it's your first dog I'd get a rescue dog, if it's an older one it'll be less hassle and I think it's a shame spending hundreds on a puppy when some poor thing is stuck in the kennels. Just my opinion though and I can see the attraction of a puppy, I'd love to have one for my wee boy.

• Downvote 2

My dog, a wee mongrel, was a rescue dog. He'd been taken in one night by the police, he'd been found out wandering about with no collar or microchip. He was house trained and really friendly, learned his name really quickly and in general has been no hassle at all. The major thing to take into account is time, will you have the time to take them out/train them. If they will be alone during the day while everyone is at school/work then there is a fair chance you'll start getting problems. I work from home and the Mrs is a student so he's hardly ever alone but they are pack animals so can develop seperation anxiety and start chewing/pishing/shitting every where.

Most problems with dogs come from them not getting enough exercise. Take them out and chuck a ball for them for an hour, twice a day and for the rest of the time they'll mostly just sleep. The aggressive, barky ones are badly trained or bored.

If it's your first dog I'd get a rescue dog, if it's an older one it'll be less hassle and I think it's a shame spending hundreds on a puppy when some poor thing is stuck in the kennels. Just my opinion though and I can see the attraction of a puppy, I'd love to have one for my wee boy.

What a pile of shit.

An abandoned shitty arsed shaking mongrel is actually a 'pack aninmal' ??

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Just did.Gray wolves, the closest cousin of the dog in wolf world hunts in packs. The Wild African dog (Lycaon pictus) also hunts in packs.

Others such as Hyenas can actually be classed as scavengers rather than pack hunters.

A flea ridden Chihuahua / sausage dog can hardly be classed in the same bracket.

^ just sparked up a big 3 skinner.

Exactly.

If the fat oaf's mongrel is shitting all over the place it's because it's in a constant state of canabis smoke inhalation.

And while I'm at it...Mother Teresa is constantly moaning because his fat arsed wife makes him sandwiches for his work but he forgets to take them with him.

Yet all of a sudden he 'works from home'

Exactly.

If the fat oaf's mongrel is shitting all over the place it's because it's in a constant state of canabis smoke inhalation.

And while I'm at it...Mother Teresa is constantly moaning because his fat arsed wife makes him sandwiches for his work but he forgets to take them with him.

Yet all of a sudden he 'works from home'

Fucking hell you really take note of my posts. Occasionally an entrepreneur like me has to head off into the coal face and I like to take a packed lunch with me. My office is at home though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

^ Haven't got him today, his granny's taking him to town to get him shoes now he's walking at only 10 months old.

I might buy him a puppy for Christmas, or swoop round town in my Mother Teresa cape looking for strays to save and then smugly write it on here.

I don't work from home. Or take sandwiches.

A man with your deviant sexual appetites shouldn't be allowed a dog. You'd probably get chucked out the kennels when you started measuring their balls anyway.

• Downvote 2