Hearts 2 - 2 Aberdeen

That's the worst Hearts team I've seen since they got relegated and I'd go as far as saying that team were better. Whelan a side their whole team are crap and he really pushed them on to get something from the game. 

Considine, Leigh and Hedges for me got pass marks. Leigh I thought was immense at times. Devlin and Logan shocking. How many times was the Hearts winger going to be allowed to put a ball in the box down Logans side before the manager just put Vyner at RB. He never done it and they get a goal from it. Ferguson was extremely quiet and Campbell wasn't good enough on the ball. We actually looked the fitter team and we had by far the stronger bench if used correctly. Anderson should of been on much earlier as gaps were appearing in behind the hearts defence in particular when they were pushing for an equaliser. We went to a back 5 and invited the pressure and ultimately paid the price.

Going get absolutely pumped on saturday. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That's the worst Hearts team I've seen since they got relegated and I'd go as far as saying that team were better. Whelan a side their whole team are crap and he really pushed them on to get something from the game.

Considine, Leigh and Hedges for me got pass marks. Leigh I thought was immense at times. Devlin and Logan shocking. How many times was the Hearts winger going to be allowed to put a ball in the box down Logans side before the manager just put Vyner at RB. He never done it and they get a goal from it. Ferguson was extremely quiet and Campbell wasn't good enough on the ball. We actually looked the fitter team and we had by far the stronger bench if used correctly. Anderson should of been on much earlier as gaps were appearing in behind the hearts defence in particular when they were pushing for an equaliser. We went to a back 5 and invited the pressure and ultimately paid the price.

Going get absolutely pumped on saturday.

I thought Ferguson was very good. Agree with Leigh and Hedges. Considine was terrible I thought.

The problem with this one is that he has been brought in by Cormack, not DM. And he's getting game time every week despite Stevie Wonder and Colonel Blink being able to see that he is utter wank. I'm concerned that there is some clause in his loan agreement that forces McInnes to play him a certain percentage of game time or we face some sort of penalty.

McInnes has already said he wants to extend his loan so he must like what he's seeing.

Michael Devlin is not good enough for Aberdeen, the defensive performance of the team when he is in it, and the fact that McInnes prefers Considine over him proves this.

For me, he is the main protagonist behind the long lump up to Cosgrove. He showed this against St Johnstone a week and a half ago and the team went to shit as a result of it.  Six shots on goal we had in that home game. Six.

By and large he is a decent passer of the ball but the law of averages tell you that a short passing game retains possession better, and when we had Shinnie/McLean/Jack showing short to take it off them and then getting it our wide for Logan/Lowe/McGinn/GMS etc, there was a better pattern to our play.

This year we're seeing alot of overlaps from whoever is playing no10 and we're not really getting alot of traditional wing play and/or early crosses.  I think alot of this has stemmed from putting right-footed players on the left and vice versa, trying to get these players narrower to get shots away.  But it isn't working, it's laboured and it's allowing opposition defences time to get bodies behind it and then we have to patiently probe for openings.  We've become too easy to defend against.

I wonder if Wilson starting last night might be the start of McInnes beginning to realise this and get a reaction.  Tough gig on Saturday but we need a performance down there.  I say performance because I don't think any of us expects a result.

If there's one positive to this season so far it's that we're playing utterly honking football and are still sitting in third place.

Michael Devlin is not good enough for Aberdeen, the defensive performance of the team when he is in it, and the fact that McInnes prefers Considine over him proves this.

For me, he is the main protagonist behind the long lump up to Cosgrove. He showed this against St Johnstone a week and a half ago and the team went to shit as a result of it.  Six shots on goal we had in that home game. Six.

By and large he is a decent passer of the ball but the law of averages tell you that a short passing game retains possession better, and when we had Shinnie/McLean/Jack showing short to take it off them and then getting it our wide for Logan/Lowe/McGinn/GMS etc, there was a better pattern to our play.

This year we're seeing alot of overlaps from whoever is playing no10 and we're not really getting alot of traditional wing play and/or early crosses.  I think alot of this has stemmed from putting right-footed players on the left and vice versa, trying to get these players narrower to get shots away.  But it isn't working, it's laboured and it's allowing opposition defences time to get bodies behind it and then we have to patiently probe for openings.  We've become too easy to defend against.

I wonder if Wilson starting last night might be the start of McInnes beginning to realise this and get a reaction.  Tough gig on Saturday but we need a performance down there.  I say performance because I don't think any of us expects a result.

If there's one positive to this season so far it's that we're playing utterly honking football and are still sitting in third place.

The main problem in us playing it long is Joe Lewis appalling distribution. He rarely gets the ball out wide to the fullbacks and never wants to play it to the midfielders when they drop deep. So frustrating to watch him then punt the ball out the park.

I always mean to bring it up after a game but never do but remembered this time...are we just really bad at throw ins? Maybe other teams are the same and I just don't notice but seems like whenever we get a thrown in in the opposition half, whoever takes it (usually the full back down that side) has nothing on so they just throw a high ball in the general direction of a teammate who have no chance of doing anything with it and almost always lose possession. And our kick off strategy, I think we did this all four times last night, it gets knocked but from kickoff and then launched out to the wing for Cosgrove, who gets no where near it, and it goes out for a throw. Why do we do this? I get that even if we keep possession we don't seem to be able to do much with it except pass it across the back four but that's a separate issue.

I always mean to bring it up after a game but never do but remembered this time...are we just really bad at throw ins?

Yes.  Been a problem for years now.  Every time it's the same story, wait for the fullback to trudge over and take it, then it either gets thrown to the opposition or we do that shitty little one-two manoeuvre and then lose it.

And our kick off strategy, I think we did this all four times last night, it gets knocked but from kickoff and then launched out to the wing for Cosgrove, who gets no where near it, and it goes out for a throw. Why do we do this? I get that even if we keep possession we don't seem to be able to do much with it except pass it across the back four but that's a separate issue.

Spread betting from McInnes*.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/southampton/6130280/Matthew-Le-Tissier-admits-being-part-of-attempted-betting-scam-at-Southampton.html

* I have no evidence that the above statement is factual.

Yes.  Been a problem for years now.  Every time it's the same story, wait for the fullback to trudge over and take it, then it either gets thrown to the opposition or we do that shitty little one-two manoeuvre and then lose it.

Or when we have a throw in 30 yards from goal, there is no option available to go forward and the full back throws the ball 30 yards backward to the centre backs. It usually ends up with our usual 10 to 15 yards passes across the back 4, occasionally going all the back to Lewis.

Guest the shepherd

I always mean to bring it up after a game but never do but remembered this time...are we just really bad at throw ins? Maybe other teams are the same and I just don't notice but seems like whenever we get a thrown in in the opposition half, whoever takes it (usually the full back down that side) has nothing on so they just throw a high ball in the general direction of a teammate who have no chance of doing anything with it and almost always lose possession. And our kick off strategy, I think we did this all four times last night, it gets knocked but from kickoff and then launched out to the wing for Cosgrove, who gets no where near it, and it goes out for a throw. Why do we do this? I get that even if we keep possession we don't seem to be able to do much with it except pass it across the back four but that's a separate issue.

We have been doing that kick off routine (on and off) for years. I remember we adopted the rugby union style kick off under Jimmy Calderwood. It was fucking horrendous, where we would inevitably surrender possession straight away. Currently, Aberdeen are very meek and weak, and devoid of any confidence, and not many players wishing to take ownership of the ball (Lewis Ferguson and Ryan Hedges are exempt from that criticism). This, however, is where the manager should come in as part of his duties is to try and keep the team united, motivated, and just as importantly playing to their own collective strengths, instead of constantly worrying how the opposition are going to line-up (another trait of Calderwood). If this isn't the case then what is the point of having a manager? I'm afraid we have regressed again this season with the recruiting policy primarily to blame.

I always mean to bring it up after a game but never do but remembered this time...are we just really bad at throw ins? Maybe other teams are the same and I just don't notice but seems like whenever we get a thrown in in the opposition half, whoever takes it (usually the full back down that side) has nothing on so they just throw a high ball in the general direction of a teammate who have no chance of doing anything with it and almost always lose possession.

Good point about the throw ins. I actually think it’s something where we’re missing McLean. He seemed to have the ability to lose his marker just enough to let the throw run past him and create a wee bit of space for himself. Not always , but often enough to be worthwhile overall.

But now , as you say, more often than not the throw goes up the line for Cosgrove to try to get a flick on or , even better, a free kick.

No surprise to any of us who watched Eoin Jess (2nd time around) run for the ball at throw ins and everyone literally turning their backs disinterestedly.

Throwing it up the line is important. It allows us to get 20 yards up the park before returning the ball to the throwing full back to square it to the centre halves, over to t’other full back then All the way back again before putting it back to Lewis for the hoof.

Convinced massive cheating must go on in all sports. Not disputing you would not want to win but how difficult would it to be to get your mate to bet on the opponent in snooker or darts etc for a specific leg at some shit tournament.

Convinced massive cheating must go on in all sports. Not disputing you would not want to win but how difficult would it to be to get your mate to bet on the opponent in snooker or darts etc for a specific leg at some shit tournament.

When you think about it, you'd be daft not to in some of these individual sports. Easy money as long as it's not too obvious and you still win.

When you think about it, you'd be daft not to in some of these individual sports. Easy money as long as it's not too obvious and you still win.

Used to be a pally with a couple of Aberdeen players. One of them told us on numerous occasions that they used to bet against Aberdeen. Arguement was if they won they got a win bonus, if they lost they won cash at the bookies.

There was a game him and Lovell lost a shirt due to a late equaliser. Possibly the cup game where we ended up beating them at parkhead with the Mackie winner in the replay.