Taxi Driving!

daytripping

• 1 year later...

Glasgow City Council are investigating a report that a city taxi driver ejected passengers from his cab for speaking in Gaelic.

Enforcement officers from the council are looking in to a formal complaint against the driver, who works for Hampden Cabs.
Two native Irish Gaelic speakers from county Donegal in Ireland were visiting family in Glasgow when the alleged incident happened, in the early hours of December 16 last year.
Anthony Blair, 20, and his brother Joe, 22, said they were ordered by the driver to stop speaking in Irish.
Their cousin, Kathleen McAleer, from Glasgow, has made a complaint of race discrimination to the council.
The 21 year-old mental health nurse told friends on Facebook that she was "standing up for what's right."
She added: "Taxi driver was racist towards my cousins."
Anthony told the Irish Independent newspaper: "It's just natural for us to chat in Irish. The driver then said: 'You can't speak that language in my taxi.' And I was a bit stunned.
"He told us if we didn't stop speaking Irish we should get out - that we were in Britain now and should be speaking English. So he stopped the car and told us to get out. "
A Hampden Cabs spokesman said the driver said he had been subjected to "sectarian abuse".
He said: "There are two sides to every story. The driver is very elderly and he was getting sectarian abuse. He was left very shaken.".
Investigations are carried out by the city council's enforcement team and if a hearing is thought to be needed, any findings will be passed to the committee.
A Glasgow City Council spokesman said: "A complaint regarding an alleged racist incident has been received and will be investigated in the appropriate manner by the council's taxi enforcement team."

Taxi driving is a soul-less existence, seeing people at their very worst when on the night runs. We need them, and thank fuck some folk are prepared to do it but working 60 hours for tuppence hapenny, dealing with drunk arseholes giving you jip, fuck that.

Taxi driving is a soul-less existence, seeing people at their very worst when on the night runs. We need them, and thank fuck some folk are prepared to do it but working 60 hours for tuppence hapenny, dealing with drunk arseholes giving you jip, fuck that.

Every taxi I get into, the cunts plead poverty, saying it costs them £20k a year just to run the motor. Are they fuck skint, my mum's friends husband is one and they are minted. Plus the scandalous fares they charge (especially in Aberdeen), they can't not turn a profit, providing they are out at weekends etc.

Very true Sheep.

A pal of mine drove a taxi for a couple of years, 8 seater, so he had car hire, radio hire and fuel to pay for. Cunts been in Africa for 5 weeks, South America for 3 months and is now off to Oz for half a year. Loaded. Mind you he worked all the time. Half the drivers moaning are lazy bastards I bet working a day shift when it's relatively quiet.

Every taxi I get into, the cunts plead poverty, saying it costs them £20k a year just to run the motor. Are they fuck skint, my mum's friends husband is one and they are minted. Plus the scandalous fares they charge (especially in Aberdeen), they can't not turn a profit, providing they are out at weekends etc.

You must have some sympathy for the poor Gaelic-speaking folk in the article above, must remind of the first time you went down to Glasgow giving it the big hurdy-gurdy.

Aberdeen drivers get paid the best. I assure you that most taxi-drivers elsewhere in Scotland (disclaimer re Edinburger as I don't know that city as well) struggle to make decent dough. Mate of mine did it in St Andrews and it's awful. Weegie taxi-drivers aren't wealthy men either.

Do they have dedicated airport taxis in Aberdeen? At Glasgow airport only designated taxis are allowed to sit in th rank to take fares (they are all white and have a special plate). These cunts take the piss even more. Private hire from my flat to the airport (circa 5 miles) £11, taxi back in one of them £20. Unreal. Plus would be an easy gig, just business folk on accounts mostly and the rich tourists that can afford the fuckers

Do they have dedicated airport taxis in Aberdeen? At Glasgow airport only designated taxis are allowed to sit in th rank to take fares (they are all white and have a special plate). These cunts take the piss even more. Private hire from my flat to the airport (circa 5 miles) £11, taxi back in one of them £20. Unreal. Plus would be an easy gig, just business folk on accounts mostly and the rich tourists that can afford the fuckers

Yes and they are a rip off and the grumpiest bastards in the world, don't expect much smiles if you're journey is only a few miles.

I was £12 or something to go from Scotia to the Spiders Web about 2 and a half miles.

I know a bloke who gave up distance lorry driving to become a taxi driver about 15 years ago. He makes all his money to cover all costs for the week by working a Friday from 4pm to 4am. Every other time he is out in his taxi it is profit. I think he works a 3 day week. Friday long day, Saturday through the day and one day through the week when he can be hooped. Don't listen to their sob stories, and never, ever give them a tip. Wait for 10p change if you are owed it.

Another thing I hate about the central belt the "private hire" / taxi distinction, they are all Fukin taxis at the end of the day.

Aberdeen ones are a fucking rip off, Edinburgh a bit better and Weige its actually funny how cheap they are. Easy half that of an Aberdeen one. I still tip, I know I'm a sucker but just do, even if it's for work. Plus point is they give you a hand full of receipts if you need to fill in a few spaces if you've eh lost a few.

Years ago me and a couple of mates had to get a taxi hame from Auchterarder to Gods country after missing the bus hame fae a golf outing. The driver cut through Sheriffmuir to cut our fare and knocked doon a deer, stopped, jumped oot then dumped Bambi in the boot, then never mentioned it again on the way hame. I got the feeling he would have done the same if it had been an auld wifie crossing the road he had hit. Fucking mercenary.

After the Inverness game, my mate and his pal were trying to get on the only train back to Aberdeen but were carrying a couple of bottles of 'juice' and the coppers stopped them, took the 'juice' off them and were basically total cunts and held them up unecessarily so they missed the train. They had to get a taxi back to Aberdeen for £200, ouch. They agreed the price upfront, but the guy kept the meter running anyway, that would be a scary sight.

Yer maybe too young to remember the one on the back road between garthdee and cults, the police checked the hands of all the crowd at a Aberdeen Celtic sell out in the days after the murder looking for people with cuts on their hands, they soon realised it was a waste of time as hundreds of people had cuts on their hands. A witness came forward weeks later saying they'd seen a blood soaked man queuing for a chipper but the man was never found.

I remember having my hands checked. I'm sure it was at the back of the South Stand. Garroted by a chesse-wire from behind - not one of the best ways to go. Rumour was the old bill knew who did it, just couldn't prove it.

Yes and they are a rip off and the grumpiest bastards in the world, don't expect much smiles if you're journey is only a few miles.

I was £12 or something to go from Scotia to the Spiders Web about 2 and a half miles.

It is Aberdeen City Council who dictate the pricing, not the taxi companies, nor drivers.

Did private hire taxi driving as a second job for about 9 months. It was in East Lothian so the spring/summer was great for rich yanks on golfing tours. Picking them up from airport and then ferrying them everywhere. The lazy cunts don't walk anywhere, and ALWAYS tip well. Only had one junkie to deal with, for a half hour run up to Musselburgh. He had a fucking horrific wee devil dog, a pitbull i think which sat on his lap. Every time I changed gear I thought one of them would bite my hand off. A fucking long 30 mins.

Unsociable hours and not great for the physique, sitting on yer arse for 12 hours and eating petrol station sandwiches and sausage rolls. But money was excellent.

Not much hassle where I was working. They were either tourists or folk I knew from school etc. Fuck doing it in a city.

I see paralyzed sheep fae ab mad was hit by a taxi last night and is in a serious condition in hospital

Normally I would be - don't know the cunt, couldn't give a fuck. When it's an Aberdeen fan and if it happens in this great city, I'm down.

Good luck to the boy, whoever he is.