Elite Dangerous

Bamber

As can be seen in the signature am backing the new Elite

Been playing the Alpha Testing (alpha 3,2) for a few weeks now and is it living up to the Hype

Some quite annoying issue at the moment with the multiplayer game which is causing quite a few crashes

seems to be a cheat loop hole that people are exploiting where you can sell all your weapons crash the ship and start with a new armed ship and sell again

I mention it cause the two seem linked as people are entering selling dying entering selling dying and so on

Have to say what a game is in development here and it will be cracking, gameplay is as good as ever but graphics are up a new level, and docking inside a space port - woo hoo!

Never really played the original, but did give the sequel Frontier a good go, my ship of choice was the Viper, if it was good enough for the Galactic po-po, it was good enough for me, till I got hold of an Imperial Courier (the ship from the intro movie) . However, combat in that game was shit unless you got up against one of the big boys, it usually devolved into :

1- See and click on enemy ship

2- Lock on enemy ship

3- Hold down fire lasers button

4- Speed up time by x10

5- Next enemy.

It had better be full of proper dogfighting, about the best example would be from Ace Combat Assault Horizon, ok Dogfighting Mode may have been a glorified quicktime event, but surely it could be beefed up a bit for space dogfighting?

did anyone manage to become elite? I did, 32 or 36 right ons, bbc version. geek wank.

sandbox gaming at its finest. it's amazing to think they only had 32k. 7? galaxies, hundreds of planets in each. narcotics, slaves, police vipers, incoming missile!!! hit the e button, damn you raxxla...

Never reached Elite... though I did run a couple of the very few missions coded into the game,

The one that stood out was the refugee escape from the station around a sun that was going nova.

As you launched out of the station with the cargo of refugees you actually saw the sun expanding, and if you didn't jump straight away you were toast

I was more a Lords of Midnight kiddy myself.

lords.gif

When I first saw the videos of the new docking... I gave a giddy little yelp for joy.

The game looks and - importantly - sounds amazing.

Very meaty full sounds. Yours was the first vid I've seen of docking with a Cobra as well. Every other one was Sidewinder and it seems like the sounds the ships make are subtly different too.

Didn't sign up (or did... then pulled out) to the Kickstarter but I'd never have paid the Alpha access Kickstarter pledge price anyway so I'll just get it when it's released or maybe pay a bit above the odds when it gets to Beta.

• 1 month later...

does look great, could have the potential to become a multi player classic.

teaming up a la Leroy Jenkins style.

the boy playing it, unless I'm missing something, did a shit job explaining what was going on.

That video looked utter shite. All he did was chase some bad guy and fire at him until just at the very end when the bad guy is about to get blown up. The bad guy then just fucks off.

What a load of horse shit.

• Admin

Somewhat underwhelmed by what I've seen and heard thus far... it looks like it might be a third rate Eve, and without the user base.

Still, early days yet... I await the whelming.

It's still in alpha. The majority of the features and gameplay haven't even been pushed to players yet.

Probably won't be released until December so plenty time yet.

• 1 month later...

Put down the 100 quid for the premium beta last week. It's brilliant even though I'm constrained by not having a joystick (one delivered tomorrow hopefully)

Already... had my most enjoyable moment in a multiplayer game yet.

Very very good.

Compared to Star Citizen so far which is a horror show. Sack of shit. Waste of fucking time. They've been at it nearly two years and their focus instead of a game engine and mechanics is to give you a poxy hanger to walk around in... with an aquarium with fish in it. Aye that shows a real laser focus on the shit that matters right there. An aquarium.

Put down the 100 quid for the premium beta last week. It's brilliant even though I'm constrained by not having a joystick (one delivered tomorrow hopefully)

Already... had my most enjoyable moment in a multiplayer game yet.

Very very good.

Compared to Star Citizen so far which is a horror show. Sack of shit. Waste of fucking time. They've been at it nearly two years and their focus instead of a game engine and mechanics is to give you a poxy hanger to walk around in... with an aquarium with fish in it. Aye that shows a real laser focus on the shit that matters right there. An aquarium.

How do they keep the water in the tank in space?

Fucked if I know boof. Magic I'd say and maybe building walls from all the money they fleeced off mugs paying $225 for a fucking ship in a non finished game.

Anyhoo... if you're playing Elite:Dangerous right now then that means you're dedicated coz you stumped up.

I'd suggest if you don't have a TrackIR or an Oculus Rift but DO have a webcam you go and download and try out FaceTrackNoIR.

Just uses your webcam (if compatible) to do "face tracking" in the game.

It is bloody fantastic. Totally sold me on the idea.

Free download: http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/home/default.htm

Absolutely worth a go since it's free and if you get it working it's pretty impressive...