Glasgow Helicopter Crash

K-9

Sakemin. I've been to and from the Marciffe the night. Wife's birthday. Sober on a special occasion.

Last Sunday was a worry right enough. Went in for two pints in the city centre before meeting my 12 year old. A mate came in. Then another. Hey daughter, I texted, get hame yersel. 4.5 hours of drinking on an empty stomach, I have no recollection of fuck all.

:hysterical::hysterical:

The media are annoying, painting Glasgow as a place like no other city, the strangest report was praising the weegies for acting like nothing had happened and continuing to go about their daily business?

Thought Salmonds quote about St Andrews Day was baffling, what relevance was it?

The media are annoying, painting Glasgow as a place like no other city, the strangest report was praising the weegies for acting like nothing had happened and continuing to go about their daily business?

Thought Salmonds quote about St Andrews Day was baffling, what relevance was it?

Nothing more than Patriotic drivel from Salmond.

I thought his airtime crass and he used a tragic event as a veiled Independence speech.

be interesting to see the cause of this one that's for sure, implications I would have though for Police Helis being used "in the hover" over urban areas for long periods of time.

Also interesting its Bond - but then there are limited numbers of helicopter operators so perhaps less so, eurocopter though is interesting if its a gearbox? it will be a different type of box for sure but there will be a common design shop and manufacturing processes

Maybe its irrelevant but I find it quite interesting that there was no fire

Lots of questions from this one

This tragedy is very sad and surreal news.

I live a brisk walk from the Clutha and visit it perhaps 1-2 times a month. I was last there 2 weeks ago on Friday. Its a great pub and always with a great crowd in it. I know a few people who drink in it. Its got a beer garden too, and with the night-time pics I thought the chopper had come to rest in it. But with better pics, its actually gone right through the pub roof at the gents toilets side of the bar.

The pub is a small space indoors and is - by the time of the accident, half ten, when a band is playing - always chock full. So its lucky that more people were not killed.

Some years ago, once of my faithers cop friends (he was an policeman himself) used to be one of those who worked in the Police chopper crew. They used to fly over our house in Coatbridge and wave. I now ive in central Glasgow and you can hear the Police chopper buzzing about just about everyday.

A real tragedy. RIP to those killed.

I was very proud of how passers-by (including Jim Murphy MP) reacted to the crash, and also of how all supporters observed the minutes silence today at firhill.

be interesting to see the cause of this one that's for sure

It might just be idle gossip, but i heard its strange that there was no explosion or fire during, or resulting from, the crash.

Also, witnesses have said that when they saw the chopper falling, its rotors were not turning.

I wonder if its run out of fuel (surely not?).

Which makes me think chief that the pilot was trying to get the thing into the Clyde. Knowing there was the slim chance that the crew would have a chance to survive. And the poor man fell desperately short.

The other angle i've seen repeated on that is that he was trying to land it in the car park behind the pub.

By selecting the freewheel unit on the main rotor, choppers can auto-rotate - allow passing air to rotate the whole head through the blade angle. After dropping for enough distance the speed gained by the blades will allow a movement of the pitch angle on the blades to have an effect on the aircraft movement. If a pilot pulls up on his collective lever after several seconds of auto-rotation, he can in theory place the aircraft down quite gently.

It looks like in this case, if that is indeed what he was attempting, there was either not enough distance travelled to get the rotation speed up, or he didn't allow enough airspace for his "seat". 'Leave thirty feet for your seat' will be a well known saying to any rotary wing pilots on here.

Edit for thicko spelling.

I don't think things automatically catch fire or explode when they crash except for in the movies.

Said explosion is usually accompanied by a shot of the main character walking away from said explosion in slow motion.

This being the real world, I don't see how it's unusual for something to not explode when it crashes.

What were the cops up to anyway... have they said?

I think the explosive capability would depend on the amount of fuel available. If the chopper was in trouble for a while and the pilot was heading somewhere for a ditch, he may have had time to jettison fuel. He may also have run out, and that's why he was falling from the sky.

Things don't usually explode on impact like the films, but aircraft quite often do - especially if laden with fuel. Porsche GTs do as well, or at least the one belonging to Paul Walker's mate did.

I don't think things automatically catch fire or explode when they crash except for in the movies.

Said explosion is usually accompanied by a shot of the main character walking away from said explosion in slow motion.

This being the real world, I don't see how it's unusual for something to not explode when it crashes.

What were the cops up to anyway... have they said?

Not only the lack of fire, but also jet fuel has a very strong smell that is distinctive. Very often at crash sites you hear of " the distinctive smell of fuel". Mentioned in many reports for crashes but not this one.

I just find the lack of mention of jet fuel smell in the middle of Glasgow and the lack of fuel interesting

Also pics of the blades (usually Carbon fibre) are in remarkably good condition with6ft sections being removed with little if any damage.

I'd imagine there is no chance that lack of fuel was a problem, that would

just be gross stupidity given the amount of safety measures in place.

The blades were pretty much unscathed, probably because they never made contact

with the building.

It makes no difference to the victims and their families, a tragic accident.