Scotland 3 - 2 Israel

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

A brilliant day yesterday. It's been a while since we've had an atmosphere quite like that in Hampden. Absolutely brilliant. 

Need to take care of the next two games against the two weakest teams in the group and, if we do that, we should secure a seeded spot in the play offs. 

Agreed, was probably the best atmosphere I've encountered at Hampden since Griffiths scored his double v England.

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I really can't see us dropping points in either of the next two. It's a very Scottish mentality to think we'll inevitably fuck up and will fail to beat two absolute minnows. 

Removing emotion from it, (1) when was the last time we even won 4-games in a row?  If we beat both, then it's a 5 game winning streak.  Have Scotland ever won 5 games in a row?  When was the last time we beat all the minnows, home and away, in a qualifying tournament.  We certainly don't routinely take care of these sort of fixtures.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think we'll drop points in these games.  We have previous against the Faroes and we made hard work of it against Moldova at home too!  They will fancy they can get a point on their home patch.

Just now, Sonoftherock said:

Removing emotion from it, (1) when was the last time we even won 4-games in a row?  If we beat both, then it's a 5 game winning streak.  Have Scotland ever won 5 games in a row?  When was the last time we beat all the minnows, home and away, in a qualifying tournament.  We certainly don't routinely take care of these sort of fixtures.

Yeah but the ones we've not won previously are games like the one away in Austria or even at home to Israel. We've done the hard part. Both Moldova and the faroes are very poor. We should be turning them over no problems. 

Just now, Sonoftherock said:

I don't think it's unreasonable to think we'll drop points in these games.  We have previous against the Faroes and we made hard work of it against Moldova at home too!  They will fancy they can get a point on their home patch.

Let's be honest. We absolutely pummelled Moldova at Hampden and just wasted a lot of chances. It was a close game in score only. On the balance of play we deserved a 3 or 4 goal win. 

54 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I really can't see us dropping points in either of the next two. It's a very Scottish mentality to think we'll inevitably fuck up and will fail to beat two absolute minnows. 

It's Scottish mentality for a reason. Plus, I hate the assumption we'll win against anyone.

Denmark needed an 85 minute winner to beat Faroes. I'm more concerned about Moldova, though they are worse than they used to be.

I said prior to us facing Denmark that we'd still be in with a chance of second going into the final round of games but that we'd fuck things up in Moldova and would need to then beat Denmark at home in the final fixture to have a chance of second.

The win in Austria has left us in a position where we are actually far better off than I expected us to be so as long as Denmark continue to beat everyone else, we might just about be able to afford making a cunt of things in Moldova....which I still believe will happen. But it could still leave us needing to beat Denmark at home in the final fixture to be certain of second.

I'm sure we will take care of the Faroes tomorrow night and provided that Denmark beat Austria at home, that would mean Austria can't catch us. Israel would then need to go to Austria and win the same night we are in Moldova to keep their chances of overhauling us alive. I can't rule out that happening and with their final fixture at home to the Faroes while we face Denmark at home, they most certainly aren't out of things just yet.

14 hours ago, Parklife said:

A brilliant day yesterday. It's been a while since we've had an atmosphere quite like that in Hampden. Absolutely brilliant. 

Need to take care of the next two games against the two weakest teams in the group and, if we do that, we should secure a seeded spot in the play offs. 

Saw this kicking about.

spacer.png

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

Saw this kicking about.

spacer.png

Yeah. Being seeded would make a huge difference. We'd have a good chance of beating any of those unseeded sides at Hampden in the semi final. We'd need a bit of luck with the draw for the final and probably a home game again to have a good chance. 

6 points from the next two games is the first priority. That should see us seeded for the play offs. 

Considering where we've been in recent years, to be where we are right now, with a good chance of a seeded play off spot to qualify for the WC, off the back of qualifying for the euros, is a huge shift. Credit to Clarke and his players for what they've done so far. 

1 hour ago, Sonoftherock said:

Sure I read we haven't beaten the bottom two seeds in a qualifying campaign home and away since early 00's.

40 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I said prior to us facing Denmark that we'd still be in with a chance of second going into the final round of games but that we'd fuck things up in Moldova and would need to then beat Denmark at home in the final fixture to have a chance of second.

The win in Austria has left us in a position where we are actually far better off than I expected us to be so as long as Denmark continue to beat everyone else, we might just about be able to afford making a cunt of things in Moldova....which I still believe will happen. But it could still leave us needing to beat Denmark at home in the final fixture to be certain of second.

I'm sure we will take care of the Faroes tomorrow night and provided that Denmark beat Austria at home, that would mean Austria can't catch us. Israel would then need to go to Austria and win the same night we are in Moldova to keep their chances of overhauling us alive. I can't rule out that happening and with their final fixture at home to the Faroes while we face Denmark at home, they most certainly aren't out of things just yet.

Got my numbers mixed up, sorry 

2 hours ago, muttonhumper said:

Saw this kicking about.

spacer.png

Swap Portugal for Serbia (assuming Portugal can beat them at home). Albania for Poland too.

If we win our next 2 we're still not guaranteed to be seeded, as quite a few 2nd place teams will (likely) finish on the same points as us. I think there's a decent chance it'll come down to goal difference, so it'd be helpful if we hammer Faroes (and don't get hammered by Denmark).

3 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Can we just make that the draw?

Scotland v Wales at Hampden followed by Scotland v Albania / Austria at Hampden? 

We will need a whole lot of luck in the draw to have any chance.

Could certainly do with avoiding Portugal, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, Czech Republic and probably want both games at Hampden

I’d fancy Scotland against anyone apart from Portugal.