Aberdeen FC confirm Jimmy Thelin appointment ✍️ ×

Sevco Thread

The whole thing is a joke. Both clubs were founded on the principles of religious bigotry and the underlying problem goes back roughly four centuries.

For UEFA, the Scottish Parliament or the SFA to think they can do anything about this is naive beyond belief. 

wonder if the once said the same thing about slavery?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The whole thing is a joke. Both clubs were founded on the principles of religious bigotry and the underlying problem goes back roughly four centuries.

For UEFA, the Scottish Parliament or the SFA to think they can do anything about this is naive beyond belief. 

How come that in Scotland anyway, monkey chanting, for example, is confined to the bucket? Therefore, why can't sectarian chanting be confined to history also? It's sheer common sense, albeit that does prove somewhat of an obstacle.

There are some numpties in the AFC support but even they don't stoop to shite like that.

Maybe if 9 or 10 in a row was in jepardy, due to a points deduction, it might stop the rubbish? That would mean the SFA got involved so, therefore........

It will take a long time before they get booted out of Europe, Celtic have a dozen charges against their supporters for breaking rules and they only ever get a slap on the wrist.

If the huns don't toe the line, I assume UEFA would start closing down larger areas, then playing behind closed doors etc. before kicking them out of the competition.

I read one hun comment today saying "Is fenian really a derogatory term?

It's not derogatory.  Although it's a bit like nigger - ok to be said by the person that would be described as one, but then same person can choose to be offended.  It gets more and more likely as the years go on that people will be offended.  If in doubt, avoid using.  Calling someone fat is deemed offensive nowadays, even if they are a fatty boom-boom.

There are plenty Irish bars around the world called 'Fenians'.

• Upvote 1

It will take a long time before they get booted out of Europe, Celtic have a dozen charges against their supporters for breaking rules and they only ever get a slap on the wrist.

If the huns don't toe the line, I assume UEFA would start closing down larger areas, then playing behind closed doors etc. before kicking them out of the competition.

Did Celtic ever get a stand closed though? 

UEFA came out at the beginning of the season to say the age of small financial fines is over - they are now looking a closures

Whats happened has happened - there is now a new set of rules in town

How come that in Scotland anyway, monkey chanting, for example, is confined to the bucket? Therefore, why can't sectarian chanting be confined to history also? It's sheer common sense, albeit that does prove somewhat of an obstacle.

There are some numpties in the AFC support but even they don't stoop to shite like that.

Maybe if 9 or 10 in a row was in jepardy, due to a points deduction, it might stop the rubbish? That would mean the SFA got involved so, therefore........

Because it's entrenched in society. When you tell five year old kids that they can't go to that school because it's for papes, you perpetuate the problem. It's deeper than football, but football just happens to be its most public face. It'll never go away entirely.

So what do you suggest? just let it continue to happen with no repercussions? 

I'm not suggesting anything, just giving my opinion on how futile it is to tell these neanderthals that their behaviour is not acceptable. 

Maybe we should let them sing what they want, then have a regular Saturday night show on BBC Scotland where individuals are shamed through the use of Police footage or CCTV.

Let's be honest, all the evidence exists to convict hundreds if not thousands of these fuckwits every single week. There was even legislation to enable this (stop laughing at the back). So why wasn't it done?

On the point about Celtic being just as bad? I don't actually know any songs which are quite as blatant (blatant in terms of a foreign speaker (assuming uefa match delegate is foreign) working out it is racist) as billy boys. What offerings have celtic got and do they actually have 60k singing it at once? #timpathiser 

• Downvote 1

At least UEFA have made a start. The 3000 seats shut down really only acts as a slap on the wrist to sevco.....it'll cost them somewhere in the region of £100000 in lost revenue but the rest of the ground is sold out so they'll still pull in well over £1.5million in ticket sales alone. The next logical step would be shutting down a whole stand and that would certainly hurt them more but even then they'd still be raking in the cash. The only sanctions to truly punish sevco are either playing matches in front of a totally empty stadium or booting them out the competition completely.

Meanwhile the SFA/SPFL should hang their heads in shame as they have avoided this issue for over a century and will find ways to avoid acting in future until the Scottish Government forces them to. (which any administration will be extremely unlikely to as they don't want to alienate section(s) of their vote). 

There's a huge difference between policing what people do and policing what people think. I've read stuff on here that would warrant punishment by your standard but I don't see any clamour for that to happen.

Just because people don't go burning crosses and we don't have gollywogs on jam jars anymore, doesn't mean there aren't a huge number of racists out there. Same thing with sectarianism. Maybe it's healthier for society to have them air these perceived grievances in the relatively benign way that they do now. It's certainly preferable to them going around kneecapping each other. 

The authorities are concentrating on the manifestation of the problem rather than the root cause. Closing all faith schools would be a good start. Can you imagine the mouth-frothing? 

faith schools is a red herring - I want my child to go to the school he has the best chance  I have no preference as to what it is or where it is I look at the league table position for results I never have and never would search based on faith most sensible parents are the same

faith A school 90% go on to further education

Faith B school 50%  leave education

I am faith B I and most parent would want to send kids to faith A school no matter what 

I personally don't want to close faith schools I want to close bad schools and that's it. there will be an intersection there will be bad faith schools - close em and good faith schools - support them

There's a huge difference between policing what people do and policing what people think. I've read stuff on here that would warrant punishment by your standard but I don't see any clamour for that to happen.

Just because people don't go burning crosses and we don't have gollywogs on jam jars anymore, doesn't mean there aren't a huge number of racists out there. Same thing with sectarianism. Maybe it's healthier for society to have them air these perceived grievances in the relatively benign way that they do now. It's certainly preferable to them going around kneecapping each other. 

The authorities are concentrating on the manifestation of the problem rather than the root cause. Closing all faith schools would be a good start. Can you imagine the mouth-frothing? 

I’m not sure what you are saying here?

Are you suggesting it’s fine for me to fire out religious or racist bile at the football as it is better than kneecapping a Catholic or black person.

I think he's saying golliwogs should return.  Or that's what I took from it.

At least UEFA have made a start. The 3000 seats shut down really only acts as a slap on the wrist to sevco.....it'll cost them somewhere in the region of £100000 in lost revenue but the rest of the ground is sold out so they'll still pull in well over £1.5million in ticket sales alone. The next logical step would be shutting down a whole stand and that would certainly hurt them more but even then they'd still be raking in the cash. The only sanctions to truly punish sevco are either playing matches in front of a totally empty stadium or booting them out the competition completely.

Meanwhile the SFA/SPFL should hang their heads in shame as they have avoided this issue for over a century and will find ways to avoid acting in future until the Scottish Government forces them to. (which any administration will be extremely unlikely to as they don't want to alienate section(s) of their vote). 

The next logical step is to burn the stadium down and turn it into a Lidl. 

faith schools is a red herring - I want my child to go to the school he has the best chance  I have no preference as to what it is or where it is I look at the league table position for results I never have and never would search based on faith most sensible parents are the same

faith A school 90% go on to further education

Faith B school 50%  leave education

I am faith B I and most parent would want to send kids to faith A school no matter what 

I personally don't want to close faith schools I want to close bad schools and that's it. there will be an intersection there will be bad faith schools - close em and good faith schools - support them

It's not though, and it goes to the core of the problem... religion. 

That's why they hate each other. It's no more complicated than that. 

I agree that any sensible parent wouldn't base their choice of school on which particular kind of indoctrination it carries out, but you're assuming all people are as sensible as you. That is simply not the case.

When you introduce exclusion based on faith at such a young age, you can't be surprised when you get the result we have. This problem will exist for as long as the species is saddled with religion which I'm afraid is going to be for some time yet. In many ways, it's a much bigger problem than racism. You're not likely to see a bunch of white people getting into a shooting war with a bunch of brown people purely over race, for example.