It Was 40 Years Ago Today, Willie Miller Taught The Dons To Play

The way WM was dismissed by the club was a fu*king disgrace...and before any snappy little 20 something posts that he was on mega cash and was a waste of a wage...they can fu*k off...

Dinna worry Redstar loon, there'll be at least one snappy little late-40s something along to disagree with you shortly. :giggle:

The way WM was dismissed by the club was a fu*king disgrace...and before any snappy little 20 something posts that he was on mega cash and was a waste of a wage...they can fu*k off...

I'm a 50 something who says he was a great player but a waste of a wage and an arsehole of a man after that

And continues to be a miserable jaded arsehole on the radio each week...

Great player - the best ever in 110 years.

That will never be forgotten.

Started off as a good manager but cocked it up in his last season.

After that, he was instrumental in setting up the youth system on his return to the club, which has helped raise some cash for the club (not enough as it should have!)

Folk shouldn't let his poor business acumen, his welching on paying bills and leaving debts tarnish his great service to the club.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

After that, he was instrumental in setting up the youth system on his return to the club, which has helped raise some cash for the club (not enough as it should have!)

Folk shouldn't let his poor business acumen, his welching on paying bills and leaving debts tarnish his great service to the club.

Well said Kev
  • Upvote 1

Well said Kev

Agree wholeheartedly. Fergie said he was the best central defender he ever had. Best one I have ever seen although I was just a youngster when he was nearing the end of his career and and my adoration may be swayed by the magnum p.i. style tache he sported. It was so good it was our 12th man.

If he played for us now, well we would probably still draw a lot of games 0-0 but with a touch more class.

• Upvote 1

Good as he was he was never our best player in a Million years.

peter weir, strachan, archibald, harper, mcdougall, to name but a few were superior.

Weir on his game and injury free would be worth at least £30 Million in todays market, simply a genius and to this day the best player I've ever seen in the flesh.

Last I heard he was a newsagent and had done some scaffolding work, a crying shame.

• Downvote 3

Well said Kev

Agree wholeheartedly. Fergie said he was the best central defender he ever had. Best one I have ever seen although I was just a youngster when he was nearing the end of his career and and my adoration may be swayed by the magnum p.i. style tache he sported. It was so good it was our 12th man.

If he played for us now, well we would probably still draw a lot of games 0-0 but with a touch more class.

But we could be guaranteed a sold 500k transfer fee for him.

Come DIne With Me was on the other night. One of the hosts had asked all the guests to come as their childhood hero. My wife asked me what I would have dressed as and I said Willie Miller. She didn't think anyone would know who Willie Miller was. I had to explain that as difficult as it may seem to believe, we did actually used to be "the famous Aberdeen".

peter weir, strachan, archibald, harper, mcdougall, to name but a few were superior.

Weir on his game and injury free would be worth at least £30 Million in todays market, simply a genius and to this day the best player I've ever seen in the flesh.

Last I heard he was a newsagent and had done some scaffolding work, a crying shame.

He works for AFC running the Glasgow centre

:nutso:

Wow, we've all seen what an arse you are, but at least you refrained from posting on the Dons and showing your utter lack of any football knowledge.

Willie Miller was absolutely without doubt world class, and our best ever player. Strachan and leighton could also just about sneak into the world class category, but that's it, and neither were of the level of Miller. As a defeder he's the best I've ever seen, and likely to ever see.

• Site Sponsor

I'm a 50 something who says he was a great player but a waste of a wage and an arsehole of a man after that

My experience of the guy is that this year he has been top notch in dealing with us on the Stand Free dinner, is giving his services completely free of charge and wants nothing more than a successful event to raise funds for the youngsters development.

• Upvote 2

:nutso:

Wow, we've all seen what an arse you are, but at least you refrained from posting on the Dons and showing your utter lack of any football knowledge.

Willie Miller was absolutely without doubt world class, and our best ever player. Strachan and leighton could also just about sneak into the world class category, but that's it, and neither were of the level of Miller. As a defeder he's the best I've ever seen, and likely to ever see.

Can't you compose a reply without being abusive, lighten up and stop being so angry.

Football is all about opinions, I have mine you have yours, there is no right or wrong. I've suggested elsewhere that you block me, surely got to be a better option than being abusive to me every day, it can't be good for your blood pressure.

I have sympathy with both sides, he was, no is, of course a Dons legend, and always be, any football fan if you mention the Dons knows Willie Miller( I had the whole Everton Social Club singing his name once :) ), and his goal celebrations against the Tims at the Merkland end sums him up as a player, but he hasn't helped his reputation since he stopped playing.

I'm sorry but that's nonsense.

You think Frank McDougall was better than Willie Miller?!

You must've taken a few blows too many to the head back in the 80's.

For longevity and outstanding ability in his position, he's the best we've ever had or likely to have.

• Upvote 1

As a player Miller was god

As a manager no one has managed to have a higher win percentage than him after him

As DoF he set up a youth system that has supplied players to the first team and that have netted AFC around £1.5m in the last 2 years

As a man, that I've met on several different occasion and in a few different environments all I can say is he's always been straight up and decent.

All you cunts bitching because you believe he was on over 100K a year when in reality he was on around 60K a year (which is nowt in Aberdeen terms for a senior manager) can poke it where the sun dont shine.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

For longevity and outstanding ability in his position, he's the best we've ever had or likely to have.

If you're looking for the greatest club servant then Willie Miller is right up there, I'm not denying that, a great great player and loyal to the club.

For natural ability and skill I would put Frank up there with him, different positions so not great to compare but as someone who was there the day he scored 4 against Celtic then I've seen up close his skill. Pity he wasted that talent to a certain degree.

Peter Weir on the other hand was head and shoulders above him, you don't pay money to see a defender, you would pay to see someone like Weir on his game, he could go past defenders like they weren't there, best player I've ever seen in the flesh.

Remember Miller started life as a forward but couldn't cut it.

• Site Sponsor

If you're looking for the greatest club servant then Willie Miller is right up there, I'm not denying that, a great great player and loyal to the club.

For natural ability and skill I would put Frank up there with him, different positions so not great to compare but as someone who was there the day he scored 4 against Celtic then I've seen up close his skill. Pity he wasted that talent to a certain degree.

Peter Weir on the other hand was head and shoulders above him, you don't pay money to see a defender, you would pay to see someone like Weir on his game, he could go past defenders like they weren't there, best player I've ever seen in the flesh.

Frank was great but Joey was better.

Frank was great but Joey was better.

No arguments there!

I recall even going to a reserve match to see him and the stadium had something like 8000 there, a genius! :)

Willie Miller, best footballer ever to play for AFC. No contest.

Reason he was the best is because he was the MVP, as the stupid yanks say.

He was the most valuable player in a great team because he was the captain and key driver in the bedrock, the triumvirate that defines great teams, the GK and CB positions.

Prone to a few gaffes in his first few years but matured into the most reliable I've ever seen.

Heart too. The man had balls of steel.

Like spam, I have met him socially and heard him at the AGM's. Unlike spam, I didn't like him.

My Dad and Grandad argue that Zoltan Varga was technically the most gifted player (he went on to replace Johann Cruyff did he not?) ever to wear the AFC shirt, but in terms of influence and longevity, I agree WM edges it.

• Site Sponsor

My Dad and Grandad argue that Zoltan Varga was technically the most gifted player (he went on to replace Johann Cruyff did he not?) ever to wear the AFC shirt, but in terms of influence and longevity, I agree WM edges it.

Aye but Barrie Mitchell replaced Joe Harper so you can push stuff like that too far!

Zoltan was technically superb, but an insult to allow his 26 games for the Dons to ever allow him into this debate.

Can't you compose a reply without being abusive, lighten up and stop being so angry.

Football is all about opinions, I have mine you have yours, there is no right or wrong. I've suggested elsewhere that you block me, surely got to be a better option than being abusive to me every day, it can't be good for your blood pressure.

fuck off :ThumbsDown:

Football is indeed about opinions, yours however seem to be laughable, of course there are rights and wrongs. If you said Darren Mackie was a better striker than Duncan Shearer, would that mean you weren't wrong? Idiotic statement from the forum idiot.