St Mirren 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Sounds like going to bed at half time was the right thing to do. That first half was truly putrid. 

Second half was slight improvement but not much better.

First half we never put any pressure on St Mirren in their own half, was constant sideways passes between two centre halfs and no out ball in midfield. 

Second half was played mainly in their half, created nothing though until McGinn chance late on. 

Considine played well, so did McKenna first half, Lewis Ferguson was trying his utmost to pull us back but can't do it all himself.  The rest varied from poor to extremely poor.

Leigh was bang average at left back, didn't offer much defensively or going forward.

Vyner was a pretty poor debut.  Certainly up there as one of the worst performers in the team.  Too early to judge though after one game.

Ojo, not impressed, too many silly fouls, slowed the play down too much and got caught on the ball.

Wright was untterly honking, his only asset is running with the ball, canna mind him doing that once.  No way should this guy be starting for us.

McLennan, generally poor, had glimpses of his running causing problems though and thought he was unlucky to be hooked.

Hedges, Saw a lot of the ball but very little to nothing with it. 

Main, offered nothing, service was honking but didn't get involved and couldn't hold the ball up.

Subs

Gallagher lots of running, not much end product when on the ball.

McGinn, was unlucky with our only real chance, we look much better with him on the pitch.

Wilson, in the short time on the pitch he controlled the ball chipped it over defenders head and passed it on.  Obvious he has more ability than most in our team, not sure what he has to do to get on the pitch.

Manager

Its not that we don't have the players to beat likes of St Mirren but the tactics just seem to be damage limitation from the off.  We have bags of pace in our team this season but we don't use it.  Its sideways pass after sideways pass.  First half sitting so deep and not pressuring them until they cross the half way line is an absolute disgrace.  They were first to every ball, won all the second balls looked more hungry and were far better organised.  We have no ability to change our shape or the way we play.  Its get the ball wide and if that fails try again in the slightest hope that it will maybe eventually work.  Its not just this season its been there for years now.  The stubborness to change things up is killing any potential we have.

Can't see this season being any different from last few, great win followed by glorious failure.  I just wish we'd be positive in every game we play.  Oh and special mention to the referee yesterday, a more stone wall pen you will never see, when he got dogs abuse about being a hun with a whistle I'm sure I saw a smile.  Still no excuse for that performance.

We have no ability to change our shape or the way we play. Its get the ball wide and if that fails try again in the slightest hope that it will maybe eventually work. Its not just this season its been there for years now. The stubborness to change things up is killing any potential we have.

I think you’re forgetting our devastating “swap the wingers” manoeuvre where we try to take two completely ineffective wingers and stick them on their weaker foot to see if that rattles them.

It doesn’t.

Second half was slight improvement but not much better.

First half we never put any pressure on St Mirren in their own half, was constant sideways passes between two centre halfs and no out ball in midfield. 

Second half was played mainly in their half, created nothing though until McGinn chance late on. 

Considine played well, so did McKenna first half, Lewis Ferguson was trying his utmost to pull us back but can't do it all himself.  The rest varied from poor to extremely poor.

Leigh was bang average at left back, didn't offer much defensively or going forward.

Vyner was a pretty poor debut.  Certainly up there as one of the worst performers in the team.  Too early to judge though after one game.

Ojo, not impressed, too many silly fouls, slowed the play down too much and got caught on the ball.

Wright was untterly honking, his only asset is running with the ball, canna mind him doing that once.  No way should this guy be starting for us.

McLennan, generally poor, had glimpses of his running causing problems though and thought he was unlucky to be hooked.

Hedges, Saw a lot of the ball but very little to nothing with it. 

Main, offered nothing, service was honking but didn't get involved and couldn't hold the ball up.

Subs

Gallagher lots of running, not much end product when on the ball.

McGinn, was unlucky with our only real chance, we look much better with him on the pitch.

Wilson, in the short time on the pitch he controlled the ball chipped it over defenders head and passed it on.  Obvious he has more ability than most in our team, not sure what he has to do to get on the pitch.

Manager

Its not that we don't have the players to beat likes of St Mirren but the tactics just seem to be damage limitation from the off.  We have bags of pace in our team this season but we don't use it.  Its sideways pass after sideways pass.  First half sitting so deep and not pressuring them until they cross the half way line is an absolute disgrace.  They were first to every ball, won all the second balls looked more hungry and were far better organised.  We have no ability to change our shape or the way we play.  Its get the ball wide and if that fails try again in the slightest hope that it will maybe eventually work.  Its not just this season its been there for years now.  The stubborness to change things up is killing any potential we have.

Can't see this season being any different from last few, great win followed by glorious failure.  I just wish we'd be positive in every game we play.  Oh and special mention to the referee yesterday, a more stone wall pen you will never see, when he got dogs abuse about being a hun with a whistle I'm sure I saw a smile.  Still no excuse for that performance.

What did Lewis Ferguson actually do though? If Deano played like that folk would be calling for him to go on loan and not being ready. Thought he had an actual shocker of a game, mis controlled the ball a lot and had no impact at all.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Think yesterday summed up the coming season. Ugly sisters swatting teams aside and the rest of the league taking points off of each other.

When faced with a well organised defence, all teams will struggle to score primarily down to the lack of creative players (which the ugly sisters unfortunately have) who can open up a team.

Normal service in Scotland has been resumed unfortunately football wise.

Didn’t see yesterday so not fair to judge, but I suspect if it’s like the first game he’s not sure if he’s part of a two in front of Ojo (ie attacking) or in a two with Ojo defending the back 4. I have a suspicion Dereks natural tendency is the latter (basically trying to replace Shinnie like for like) but then blaming him for not getting up to support the completely isolated Main.

Think yesterday summed up the coming season. Ugly sisters swatting teams aside and the rest of the league taking points off of each other.

When faced with a well organised defence, all teams will struggle to score primarily down to the lack of creative players (which the ugly sisters unfortunately have) who can open up a team.

Normal service in Scotland has been resumed unfortunately football wise.

Thing is I could live with that if we had a strong side ourselves, capable of reaching Europa group stages and latter stages of cup. If we finish 10-15 points off the pace then so be it. But we are likely to be 10-15 points behind after the first quarter the way it's going.

We look miles off the pace going forward and our defence leaking goals every week.

What did Lewis Ferguson actually do though? If Deano played like that folk would be calling for him to go on loan and not being ready. Thought he had an actual shocker of a game, mis controlled the ball a lot and had no impact at all.

Ferguson was pish yesterday.

Added to your points, giving away stupid fouls with shoves in the back when we are in attacking / dangerous positions.

Poor.

Aye I agree, he didn't do much, seemed to try and do it all himself and end up losing posession or fouling their player.  His seemed to at least be giving a monkeys though which apart from Considine you wouldn't have said the same about anyone else in red as their was zero fight from the rest of them.  No leaders whatsoever on that pitch.

Aye I agree, he didn't do much, seemed to try and do it all himself and end up losing posession or fouling their player.  His seemed to at least be giving a monkeys though which apart from Considine you wouldn't have said the same about anyone else in red as their was zero fight from the rest of them.  No leaders whatsoever on that pitch.

Yeah, can never doubt his determination to win but the quality was non existent yesterday. As MH said, giving away free kicks constantly as well. Frustrating day.

This, not his best game by a long stretch but the boy cares and others around him should take a good look at themselves after that shocker, he cant do it himself

Last season we relied on Ferguson so much to pull us out of the shit, the boy is still young.

Yesterday was when you find out whos got your back, tough conditions against a team who were up for it, we offered not a lot. 

Move on from here and FFS toughen up, show a bit of steel.

SF

He isn't fit enough to play, so why would he travel?

If he is injured then I agree there was no point in him travelling.

However if he’s not match fit then he could have been on the bench.

The issue here is the lack of word from the club on his condition. Unless I’ve missed it, I haven’t seen any quotes saying that he actually is injured and how long he will be out for?

This, not his best game by a long stretch but the boy cares and others around him should take a good look at themselves after that shocker, he cant do it himself

Yep, that's why I gave him pass marks, what he tried came to nothing but he showed some passion and determination which seemed to be completely lacking in everyone else bar Considine.

What baffles me is we seem to bring in players that are fairly limited which is understandable on our budget, but rather than play to their strenghts we try and fit them into a system and play in a fashion that doesn't suit their abilities at all.  Leigh is the best example so far, looked good going forward but suspect defensively but in last two games seems to have been asked to concentrate more on the defensive side of the game as offered little going forward.

The 3 behind Main yesterday should have been turning and running at the defence every opportunity but its something we barely saw all game.  No balls into the channels no directness with running.  Ojo and Ferguson should have been feeding those 3 and let them do their stuff but it was all so pedestrian that it became so predictable.  No movement and the ball would get played side to side and eventually lumped into the box when we had nobody in there.

Yep, that's why I gave him pass marks, what he tried came to nothing but he showed some passion and determination which seemed to be completely lacking in everyone else bar Considine.

What baffles me is we seem to bring in players that are fairly limited which is understandable on our budget, but rather than play to their strenghts we try and fit them into a system and play in a fashion that doesn't suit their abilities at all.  Leigh is the best example so far, looked good going forward but suspect defensively but in last two games seems to have been asked to concentrate more on the defensive side of the game as offered little going forward.

The 3 behind Main yesterday should have been turning and running at the defence every opportunity but its something we barely saw all game.  No balls into the channels no directness with running.  Ojo and Ferguson should have been feeding those 3 and let them do their stuff but it was all so pedestrian that it became so predictable.  No movement and the ball would get played side to side and eventually lumped into the box when we had nobody in there.

The whole style seems to have been lost somewhere after the departure of Hayes. He was a proper winger so tended to stay wide so we always had a regular outlet. When he left it became much more changeable with the front 3 all rotating regularly which led to the bizarre sight of Rooney playing left wing most weeks and looking brutal.

The front 3 to be interchangeable surely have to have similar styles? This is highlighted a lot as you see Cosgrove out wide when a cross is played in the box he's nowhere to be seen. He also tracks back a lot I have noticed which means we have no outlet when we do break.

This strange style of football appears to be continuing with the front 3 all interchanging but all playing 30 yards apart from each other. There appears to be no link up play at all and yesterday this was exasperated further by Ferguson and Ojo not deciding which was sitting and unsure what to do against a team sitting deep. As others have commented most of our possession involved sideways passes between McKenna and Considine.

It was quite frankly horrible to watch and is most weeks. There were promising signs against poor opposition at Pittodrie but all of our away performances have been poor and been similar in nature.

That first half was up there as one of the worst in McHunnis' tenure. Absolutely hopeless.

How he never made changes straight away was a big concern. Things did go on to get slightly better when McGinn and co came on but nowhere near good enough on the day.

Too many sick notes in the squad just now.