Sir Andy Murray

Guest SS RED

You boys are heavy invested in tennis

I didn't realise people took it so seriously

It has to be a testament to Murray that the above must be the longest run of posts on the Hat for a while where people have been in agreement and been respectful.

Nobody has been called a nonce, snowflake, asked for nudes, photos of shoulders, to delete their account, or to stick a dildo on their bonnet.

Scenes!

Sir Andy Murray.

The amount of determination he has shown to get to the top of his sport is just awe inspiring.

Some of the 5 set matches that I have watched over the years have just been sport at its very very best involving Murray.

The levels of fitness, stamina and ability required dwarfs other sports at times IMO.

A sad day indeed.

Really, really saddened by his press conference this morning. I think all fans of his had feared this was coming but were desperately hoping it wouldn't.

Have loved following his career and i'm absolutely thrilled that his career has been during my lifetime. From all those lost slam finals, to his US Open win and subsequent Wimbledon win, to his 2nd Olympic gold and Davis Cup win, he's wrung everything from his talent.

On one hand it's great he competed against Djokovic, Nadal and Federer but on the other hand, without those 3, he's probably on at least double the number of slams, not to mention the number of Masters 1000 titles he'd have. Amazing achievements in the most ridiculously competitive era of the sport.

The crying is enormously bent. He can still play anytime he wants and has millions in the bank.

Big Hibs supporting fud.

• Downvote 1

We’ve been lucky as Scots,nae fucking Brits,to have had a truly world class sportsman to appreciate.

It’s a sad day for the loon,and you can see how much it hurts to admit defeat.

I guess when you’ve devoted your life to get to the top in professional sport,it’s tough to say it’s all over.

Hibs supporting fud he might be,but the boy has been class in everything he did-even upsetting the guffs one year with his ABE top for the World Cup

Announced he will retire at Wimbledon officially.

His hip is still fucked, so doesn't know if he'll make it that far. I don't think he'll make it through the first round against Bautista Agut... and then it's game over.

It's been absolute pleasure following his career! The first grand slam at Flushing Meadows, the absolute highlight for me! Before Murray, if someone had told me a Scotsman would win a grand slam tennis event, I'd have laughed! The greatest Scottish sportsman bar none IMO.

• Former World No. 1 (41 weeks, not long shy of a year before he got injured)
  • 3 x Grand Slam winner
  • 2 x Olympic Gold singles
  • 1 x Davis Cup (where he almost single-handedly dragged UK to the title)
Just a pity he was cut down by this injury at his peak, while world No.1 and dominating.

The Australian Open last year wasn't the same without him... I couldn't get over this year, the first I've missed for a while, and absolutely crushed I won't be able to attend what'll probably be his last ever competitive match.

Yeah he has a great record. He also won the year end ATP Finals at the O2 beating Djokovic in the final. Whoever won that match would end the year as the world number one.

Unfortunately his body started to fail him shortly after that. With his style of play he was always unlikely to have the same longevity as someone like Federer. But to have it cut short at only 31 will be devastating for him.

Yeah he has a great record. He also won the year end ATP Finals at the O2 beating Djokovic in the final. Whoever won that match would end the year as the world number one.

Unfortunately his body started to fail him shortly after that. With his style of play he was always unlikely to have the same longevity as someone like Federer. But to have it cut short at only 31 will be devastating for him.

It's a mystery how big rog has managed to come back, at such an age, quicker and stronger...