Top 10 Euro Nights on AFC Website

Totally agree Kelt.

It's why I don't tend to criticise McGhee as much as others despite the fact he was undoubtedly a cunt here as manager.

For me the good will always outshine the bad when it comes to McGhee at AFC. He was a fantastic player for us who always gave his all. A large percentage of the players that have played for us in the last 35 years or so since he left are not fit to tie his boot laces.

I know it’s hard to compare football then against football these days but if that team could time travel forward to today and have all the advances in training, nutrition, etc just how fucking good would they be?

They’d walk the league in Scotland.

Was at all 3 of these games and agree with best 3

Bayern 83 was best atmosphere at pittodrie ever.

Ipswich was great for mick mills getting shinned over and over and Waterschei for the goals that took us to the final

Those and add the SV Hamburg game  we won 3-2. November 1981.

Growing old sucks but oh those memories.

My Dad was a quiet man( except when he was on the whisky)..but he was a screaming demon who i hardly recgnized against Ipswich..Bayern i sat with my friends..but i am sure he was even better!

Those and add the SV Hamburg game we won 3-2. November 1981.

Growing old sucks but oh those memories.

My Dad was a quiet man( except when he was on the whisky)..but he was a screaming demon who i hardly recgnized against Ipswich..Bayern i sat with my friends..but i am sure he was even better!

What was Hamburg 83 like ?

Those and add the SV Hamburg game  we won 3-2. November 1981

I think that was possibly the best I’ve ever seen us play, not just European games.

We absolutely battered them , making loads of chances and Strachan had a penalty saved. And we gifted them two goals , one with just a few minutes left.

And as often happened in the late 70’s and early 80’s , the team that put us out went on to win it or at least reach the final.

Aye that was some game, obv doesnt compare to some games of the early 80s, but for a more modern era it was outstanding.

Walkers goal was amazing.

While hardly the same class of opponent, the earlier copenhagen game was brilliant too.

It was a strange game though as unlike the 80's we knew we were out of our depth.

Even up to Torino I fancied us every game in Europe. After Skonto Riga it felt like every game was tricky. I remember a game V Zalgrius Vilnus where we were picked apart all night, it was horrendous.

It was a strange game though as unlike the 80's we knew we were out of our depth.

A great point, that was a big difference in how the game and performance was and is perceived, compared to the 80s.

Even up to Torino I fancied us every game in Europe. After Skonto Riga it felt like every game was tricky. I remember a game V Zalgrius Vilnus where we were picked apart all night, it was horrendous.

I agree with the bold: certainly I at least gave us a chance in many European games but the Skonto Riga game was a sea change.  I remember real disbelief and a sense of being shellshocked at the end of the 1-1 home game, especially given they were such a new / young club.

But change (decline) had obviously been taking place over time and that tie marked our expectations/perception catching up with reality.

Bayern 83 was the best atmosphere at Pittodrie in my time, Ipswich was a superb display and great night

100% agree Sheepo + Watershei (probably wrong spelling) was completely surreal and Hamburg Super Cup game I had just sat college prelim exams so post pub was completely pished.

Fingers crossed we can have some more European nights to remember soon, starting tonight, before old age kicks in.