The Stand Up Comedy Thread

That will be what separates the professional comedians from the, well, you

Having done stand up for 6 years I know for a fact that even the pros don't like to be "helped out" by the audience interrupting. Believe me I have spoken to a lot of pros.

I also run a pro comedy night in Edinburgh so I am well aware of the annoyance of this.

Having done stand up for 6 years I know for a fact that even the pros don't like to be "helped out" by the audience interrupting. Believe me I have spoken to a lot of pros.

I doubt the vast majority of the audience like it when some dick in the audience starts it either.

I doubt the vast majority of the audience like it when some dick in the audience starts it either.

Yep. Some people genuinely think they are helping the act but really they are just deviating them away from their set which they have practiced and timed only for some selfish twat talking throughout the set either entertaining himself or his mates..

Not many performing arts where people would accept or appreciate that.

Imagine doing it through a play.

True. Went to see a Ross Noble gig and some arsehole went out of his way to spoil it. Was too much for one punter and he kicked the fuck out of the 'heckler'. Fair play.

I shouted at the guy at the evening you were part of, but he was Jim White's love child.

I've also shouted 'fuck off you cunt' to Jimmy Carr, but he was pretty much asking for someone to shout some form of abuse. He thought he had me when he said 'yeah but you paid for your ticket', but I got it as a freebie.

Other than that, I've never shouted out. I like to see the act.

You'd probably find that most comperes actually say in their opening bit "You can abuse me or shout at me but try not to interrupt the acts" or words to that effect. The compere's job is to warm up the audience and engage with them a bit more so it lends itself to that. They have no set time so can be more flexible. Plus that compere is a Rangers fan.

Yep. Some people genuinely think they are helping the act but really they are just deviating them away from their set which they have practiced and timed only for some selfish twat talking throughout the set either entertaining himself or his mates..

Not many performing arts where people would accept or appreciate that.

Imagine doing it through a play.

I’m a bit of a hypocrite. I once shouted He’s behind you at a panto.

I’m a bit of a hypocrite. I once shouted He’s behind you at a panto.

That is different. The panto expects that audience participation to an extent.

Imagine Frankie being shouted at while making the tea and coffee at BT when he was trying to concentrate on boiling the kettle.

• Upvote 1

That is different. The panto expects that audience participation to an extent.

Imagine Frankie being shouted at while making the tea and coffee at BT when he was trying to concentrate on boiling the kettle.

I was attempting humour.

First thing Frankie would do was post on here for advice on how to treat his burns.

• Upvote 5

Dennis Pennis did him a good one I recall - asked him 'Do you read palms?' before offering his hand which he scrawled 'You're a fat cunt' on haha

Now Dennis Pennis was funny.Paul Kay was it?

Did he do one with Keane Reeves about being really wooden,or was it that posh wank Hugh Grant?