#961 OFFLINE   Roberto

Roberto

S.F

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Joined 16-October 06

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:48 PM

I think your point was rasonable VDA even if others don't pal.

"Maybe I will never be all the things that I want to be

But now is not the time to cry now's the time to find out why
I think you're the same as me, we see things they'll never see you and I, WE'RE GONNA LIVE FOREVER"

#962 OFFLINE   thomsod

thomsod

Breakthrough Player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Joined 02-December 07

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:31 AM

Not too sure but I think you are right. When mcleish took over hibs they were struggling. My point was he got them back up and did rasonably well when he did.

Yeah sorry wasn't disagreeing with your point at all, he did a decent job with them.
I was just trying to remember if I had that right.

#963 OFFLINE   Doncomitant

Doncomitant

First Team Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Joined 16-December 17

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:45 AM

McLeish done a good job by continuing Smiths game plan, nothing more.
Now he will try to continue Strachans game plan which was clearly not good enough.
He won't try to change things, or experiment much other than forced changes in the upcoming friendlies because of the undoubted numerous call offs. Then back to basics & 'experience' for serious games.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

#964 OFFLINE   Chewie37

Chewie37

Wookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,474 posts
  • Joined 03-July 14

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:06 AM

I’d forgotten that McLeish first time round was after Smith, the Hun merry go round
I've moved to California

#965 OFFLINE   vanderark14

vanderark14

Chairman

• Members
  • 27,592 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:47 AM

McLeish done a good job by continuing Smiths game plan, nothing more.
Now he will try to continue Strachans game plan which was clearly not good enough.
He won't try to change things, or experiment much other than forced changes in the upcoming friendlies because of the undoubted numerous call offs. Then back to basics & 'experience' for serious games.
Wash, rinse, repeat.

Mcleish’s Scotland team was more exciting than smiths. Smith’s Scotland team was shite, he gets away with criticism because of the win against France in Glasgow and because of who he is.

McLeish doesn’t need to change much except pick the best players, strachans arrogance was the problem. He ignored Scotland’s only striker, he ignored the tim contingent until it was too late, once he gave in during the 2nd half of the campaign he got it right but the damage was already done. Bizarrely he reverted to type in that last game of the campaign.

#966 OFFLINE   Millertime

Millertime

Chairman

• Members
  • 26,267 posts
  • Joined 14-January 06

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:54 AM

Mcleishs Scotland team was more exciting than smiths. Smiths Scotland team was shite, he gets away with criticism because of the win against France in Glasgow and because of who he is.

McLeish doesnt need to change much except pick the best players, strachans arrogance was the problem. He ignored Scotlands only striker, he ignored the tim contingent until it was too late, once he gave in during the 2nd half of the campaign he got it right but the damage was already done. Bizarrely he reverted to type in that last game of the campaign.

McLeish won in Paris, did he not?

#967 OFFLINE   V for Vendetta

V for Vendetta

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,437 posts
  • Joined 30-June 11

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:36 PM

McLeish won in Paris, did he not?

Smith won against France at Hampden which is what he's referring to I think.

#968 OFFLINE   V for Vendetta

V for Vendetta

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,437 posts
  • Joined 30-June 11

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:39 PM

Mcleishs Scotland team was more exciting than smiths. Smiths Scotland team was shite, he gets away with criticism because of the win against France in Glasgow and because of who he is.

McLeish doesnt need to change much except pick the best players, strachans arrogance was the problem. He ignored Scotlands only striker, he ignored the tim contingent until it was too late, once he gave in during the 2nd half of the campaign he got it right but the damage was already done. Bizarrely he reverted to type in that last game of the campaign.

Strachan suffered from being too loyal to his players imo.

National team games are spread out and players form changes significantly between the games.

An international coach needs to be ruthless enough to change his line up and not just stick with the same players because they did a job a few matches back in the campaign (which could be 6 months ago)

2 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users