Stephen Gleeson Signed.

I think it's a fairly half assed assessment.

Playing in the championship or having a few caps guarantees absolutely nothing.

Point is we will all just have to wait and see how he performs.

No signing guarantees absolutely to work out.

Signing Messi would guarantee absolutely nothing (granted he'd likely do ok in Scotland).

My point was he looks (on paper) a decent signing.

We'll wait and see but as things stand I can't understand some folks negativity re this one.

Heard him say on Original106 news that playing in Europe was one of the things that's made him sign.

Something to tell his kids about apparently.

Not sure if sarcasm, however this just illustrates exactly why we needed to get into Europe this season. Regardless of how many games we get through, it does help bring players in who otherwise would never get a chance of playing in on the European stage.

People who think Europe is pointless for us are the same type of people who think that the League Cup is a "diddy cup".

Gleeson was a first pick in a Birmingham side managed by one of the best young managers in England (Gary Rowett) and off the back of this he made 3 or 4 Irish squads from 2015-17. Folk might think that's no great shakes but it's broadly comparable with Kenny McLean or Jonny Hayes in terms of international recognition.

After Rowett was sacked, (folk may remember they were sitting 7th in the Championship and then plummeted towards the bottom after he was sacked) the set-up turned to shit; they've had 5 managers in two years; they've had a very high turnover of players not fancied by the incoming managers. I don't have any idea why he didn't play much at Ipswich, but the set-up there also turned to shit with McCarthy announcing he was leaving and they pretty much downed tools.

This boy is a good player, he probably won't be appreciated by fans as he's a deep-lying midfielder in the way that Ryan Jack was, but coaches will love him and I think he will do well for us with the way McInnes likes his teams set-up.

• Upvote 3

Not sure if sarcasm, however this just illustrates exactly why we needed to get into Europe this season. Regardless of how many games we get through, it does help bring players in who otherwise would never get a chance of playing in on the European stage.

People who think Europe is pointless for us are the same type of people who think that the League Cup is a "diddy cup".

It was sarcasm as in having a pop at the folk on here who said playing in Europe was little or no lure for a player,

Europe (even if its just 2/4/6 games) is massive for us.

Feel good factor, decent crowds/full houses, chance to play different sides, wee trip(s) for support, extra dough, attracts players, the chance of reaching the groups plus miss the regionalised early League Cup.

Europe is fucking ace!

• Upvote 2

Gleeson was a first pick in a Birmingham side managed by one of the best young managers in England (Gary Rowett) and off the back of this he made 3 or 4 Irish squads from 2015-17. Folk might think that's no great shakes but it's broadly comparable with Kenny McLean or Jonny Hayes in terms of international recognition.

After Rowett was sacked, (folk may remember they were sitting 7th in the Championship and then plummeted towards the bottom after he was sacked) the set-up turned to shit; they've had 5 managers in two years; they've had a very high turnover of players not fancied by the incoming managers. I don't have any idea why he didn't play much at Ipswich, but the set-up there also turned to shit with McCarthy announcing he was leaving and they pretty much downed tools.

This boy is a good player, he probably won't be appreciated by fans as he's a deep-lying midfielder in the way that Ryan Jack was, but coaches will love him and I think he will do well for us with the way McInnes likes his teams set-up.

Thanks for that non hysterical assessment of the player and a partial explanation of why his form may have dipped recently. A Jack type defensive midfielder is what we have sorely missed recently and hopefully the lad will slot into that role seamlessly.

It was sarcasm as in having a pop at the folk on here who said playing in Europe was little or no lure for a player,

Europe (even if its just 2/4/6 games) is massive for us.

Feel good factor, decent crowds/full houses, chance to play different sides, wee trip(s) for support, extra dough, attracts players, the chance of reaching the groups plus miss the regionalised early League Cup.

Europe is fucking ace!

Exactly.

I'd much rather be excited about who we are playing in Europe than having to face Arbroath, Montrose and Edinburgh Uni in the League Cup group stages.

:thumbup1:

Still remember driving to play football at goals and had talksport on the radio. Birmingham fans going mental that Rowett had been sacked.

A Kari Arnason-style 'not a McInnes signing' signing? Or a signing in the queue for the tea cups signing?

' D--- Sign him until I've watched his goals on youtube and confirmed he's been capped 4 times'

Yule couldn't hear for The Hulk tearing past. Candy floss and corndogs awai.

• Downvote 1
Guest the shepherd

Stephen Gleeson is a very good signing, one that should be applauded and not criticised.

In the not too distant dark past we were competing with, and losing out to, the likes of Boston United (where are they now?) for players, and taking players from the mighty Dulwich Hamlet on trial (remember Mazin Ahmed?). Then there was the time some were celebrating the signing of Jerel Ifil on the basis of a man-of-the-match performance in Dean Windass's testimonial against Hull City. Changed days for the better now.