Style of play and formation

Can I ask what style of play and formation do we all want to see the Dons playing.

When Glass came, the style of  play he suggested was attractive idea to think we could achieve, but failed to live up to it.

When Mcinnes was here, the playing style was more defensive and breaking on the counter, when was dull at times but had us at a steady top six.

So what is everyone's vision of  style of play and formation.

19 minutes ago, anderson72 said:

Can I ask what style of play and formation do we all want to see the Dons playing.

When Glass came, the style of  play he suggested was attractive idea to think we could achieve, but failed to live up to it.

When Mcinnes was here, the playing style was more defensive and breaking on the counter, when was dull at times but had us at a steady top six.

So what is everyone's vision of  style of play and formation.

Dont really give too much of a shit so long as we are winning

Winning with style can come further down the line

1 hour ago, anderson72 said:

The football was decent under McInnes from 2013/14 right up to 2018/19. It got shite when Cormack came in. 17/18 & 18/19 there was certainly a decline, but it wasn’t eyebleeding like every season since. 

i do believe it was mcinnes’ fault due his terrible recruitment latterly…. But it does seem coincidental that the football was crap (particularly having no idea what to do in the final 3rd) and then continued to be fairly similar under Glass. 

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Move the ball quickly and with purpose. 

Variety in attack, good movement middle to front. 

Pace on the break. 

Do goals. 

Works for Celtic and the Huns

We are far to slow, so many passbacks and aimless passes.

Good teams make sure passes count not just hopefull punts to each other

All very basic stuff which few players in are side are capable of and havnt been for years now

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Move the ball quickly and with purpose. 

Variety in attack, good movement middle to front. 

Pace on the break. 

Do goals. 

Yeah that sounds about right. Basically the opposite of what we have just now!

play with PACE
play with PURPOSE
play with PASSION

That's what we're after.

McInnes' early years had pace (Hayes, McGinn, Pawlett, Christie etc), purpose (there was a clear strategy, we won the ball and knew instinctively that if we got it wide the two wingers would take on their man and put it into the middle, and we could also play through the middle as we had cleaver, creative players like McLean and Christie - also Pawlett and Maddison briefly), and passion (Guys like Shinnie were a driving force, and there was an aggression about the play when Hayes, McGinn, Christie, McLean etc were all playing well - we put pressure on teams rather than just knocking the ball around slowly for 90 minutes)

1 hour ago, Don_Corleone said:

Yeah that sounds about right. Basically the opposite of what we have just now!

play with PACE
play with PURPOSE
play with PASSION

That's what we're after.

McInnes' early years had pace (Hayes, McGinn, Pawlett, Christie etc), purpose (there was a clear strategy, we won the ball and knew instinctively that if we got it wide the two wingers would take on their man and put it into the middle, and we could also play through the middle as we had cleaver, creative players like McLean and Christie - also Pawlett and Maddison briefly), and passion (Guys like Shinnie were a driving force, and there was an aggression about the play when Hayes, McGinn, Christie, McLean etc were all playing well - we put pressure on teams rather than just knocking the ball around slowly for 90 minutes)

Mcinnes gambled more to begin with (to be popular) especially when league was less competitive & could be more attacking. He then tried to protect his rep & take far less risks. That’s why he was boring & average 

8 hours ago, ABERDEENROWIE1903 said:

Works for Celtic and the Huns

We are far to slow, so many passbacks and aimless passes.

Good teams make sure passes count not just hopefull punts to each other

All very basic stuff which few players in are side are capable of and havnt been for years now

Do you think being able to spend 9m on players from psg or 7m from Liverpool makes it a bit easier to play like that, when up against players for 20k from carlisle?

7 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Mcinnes gambled more to begin with (to be popular) especially when league was less competitive & could be more attacking. He then tried to protect his rep & take far less risks. That’s why he was boring & average 

Just my opinion but I think the league was far stronger 2012-2017 than 17-22. I actually think this specific season is the shittest I can remember the overall quality of teams in my lifetime. It is DIRE.

9 teams out of 12 on minus goal difference.... how is it even possible

Aberdeen at the moment have the top goal scorer and the top  % for goals scored from set pieces ,Take one away and we would be bottom and going down , set plays is the way football will go down over the next few years . AFC had one of the best attacking coaches and let him go , no forward thinking from the director of football, its not the team thats shit its the clowns running the club and there huge ego 

• Haha 1

Would like us to be solid at the back with a good understanding between a back four, the keeper and a holding midfielder.

Want two up front.

Aside from this, I'd like us to play with an actual strategy where we can see what their intent is and not just the headless chickens we've had of late. 

Finally I want the players to get their heads out of the 'North East bubble' that they've been living in over the last few years (includes previous players) - be more aggressive and show more courage etc. 

5 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

If we can just find a £67 million goalkeeper and a £75 million centre half I reckon the rest will fall into play quite easily. Lets get it done

I’m afraid that’s the crux of it. I think it’s what we were going for but sadly we didn’t have the players anywhere near capable of that style 

• Haha 1
Just now, thurso said:

I’m afraid that’s the crux of it. I think it’s what we were going for but sadly we didn’t have the players anywhere near capable of that style 

Haha

Do you really think that is what our philosophy was? Maybe it was, I have no idea. As you say we don't have the players, so it's impossible to know. But it effectively means Funso Ojo was in the Sadio Mane role on the left. Can't believe that didnt work