Jack Gurr signs 1 year deal

On 5 December 2019, it was announced that Gurr signed with USL Championship club Atlanta United 2 ahead of their 2020 season.[6] He made his professional debut on 8 March 2020, starting in a 1–0 loss to Charleston Battery.[7]

On 5 April 2021, Gurr was signed to the Atlanta United first-team roster.[8] Gurr was released by Atlanta on 28 May 2021.[9]

Signed and released within 2 months? Yank fitba is weird. 

There's something really rotten about the way things are being done.  Probably legal yet highly irregular.  Definitely not in our clubs interests and no wonder DM was happy to to leave sooner rather than later.  If Jack Gurr ends up back on an Atlanta contract at the end of this one, I'm calling Panorama.

• Upvote 3
  • Dildo 2
6 minutes ago, Sonic said:

There's something really rotten about the way things are being done.  Probably legal yet highly irregular.  Definitely not in our clubs interests and no wonder DM was happy to to leave sooner rather than later.  If Jack Gurr ends up back on an Atlanta contract at the end of this one, I'm calling Panorama.

I don't think he really was.

9 minutes ago, Sonic said:

They released him because he wasn’t good enough, they won’t be re-signing him. 

Only a 1 year deal - Glass must see it as a bit of a gamble. Hope he does well.. quite a large step up for him, let’s see what he can do. 

the university he went to is not NCAA, it’s NAIA, which I’m not even sure what that means. then to USA third division (?), second division, and briefly with ATL United.. quite a journey to get to Scotland. 

rooting for him. it would be quite the signing if it works out. 

12 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

They released him because he wasn’t good enough, they won’t be re-signing him. 

Is that an insider scoop?  Cause it looks to me like a loan signing for a young player just making their first team ... without the "loan" aspect.

5 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

He was with Glass at Atlanta 2 so he's been on the Atlanta books for a fair while. 

So why did they sign/release him within weeks if they knew all about him then?

Too good for Atlanta 2 and not good enough for Atlanta so over to us for a year and see how he gets on is my guess.

Good luck to the boy anyway. A proper full back is better than a centre half or midfielder covering like we have had for a large chunk of the last 8 years.

3 minutes ago, Betty Swallicks said:

I'd imagine they moved him from atlanta 2 to the senior side. 

Took a look at him, thought Ronnie would be better back up to their first team then waived him back to MLS. 

His contract is owned by MLS so he's on loan to us from MLS rather than Atlanta if he is indeed listed as a loan. 

That's my understanding anyway. 

1 minute ago, Poodler said:

Was it hearts that loaded up with foreign muck during the Romanov which proved to be an entirely shite signing policy? 

i just don’t believe these yank boyz have the guts for SPL fitba - whatever that may be 

Aye Hearts were full of Lithuanians from Romanov's other club over there. 

3 minutes ago, Poodler said:

Was it hearts that loaded up with foreign muck during the Romanov which proved to be an entirely shite signing policy? 

i just don’t believe these yank boyz have the guts for SPL fitba - whatever that may be 

This boys from Gateshead, I'm fairly sure he's not going to shit it going to Dingwall or Perth.

16 minutes ago, South Stand Seagull said:

Only a 1 year deal - Glass must see it as a bit of a gamble. Hope he does well.. quite a large step up for him, let’s see what he can do. 

the university he went to is not NCAA, it’s NAIA, which I’m not even sure what that means. then to USA third division (?), second division, and briefly with ATL United.. quite a journey to get to Scotland. 

rooting for him. it would be quite the signing if it works out. 

Pretty much the way I'm looking at it. Wouldn't imagine he'll be on a huge wage (A lot less than Logan), it's a one year deal so if it doesn't work out then no massive drama. 

Best of luck to the boy. 

21 minutes ago, Betty Swallicks said:

Too good for Atlanta 2 and not good enough for Atlanta so over to us for a year and see how he gets on is my guess.

Good luck to the boy anyway. A proper full back is better than a centre half or midfielder covering like we have had for a large chunk of the last 8 years.

Happens a lot in American sport. The player's salary counts towards the salary cap allocated to the teams. If they sign a dud, they have to release the player from the club to free up cap space when they are close to the limit of the cap. Until the player signs for someone else they still have to pay him but he's at least officially off the books cap wise so they can then sign another player with the freed up cap space. 

It happens even more frequently in the NFL.......and there you aren't looking at salaries in the $100-300k range, more like $3million upwards

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Pretty much the way I'm looking at it. Wouldn't imagine he'll be on a huge wage (A lot less than Logan), it's a one year deal so if it doesn't work out then no massive drama. 

Best of luck to the boy. 

Aye if this boy is any good it will be a bonus. 

If he's shite then the upside is that our own kid will get plenty of games.