Reserve & Youth Teams Thread

Aberdeen Reserves started very well,Dean Campbell going forward and firing in good shot from twenty yards,soon a corner was cleared out to Bruce Anderson who took the ball down well swivelled and shot superbly into the net.Aberdeen then awarded pretty soft penalty and Bruce grabbed the ball and stepped up confidently. Only to find the taking of the penalty delayed, as Dunfermline brought on a sub before  kick was taken.The delay and distraction put Bruce off and keeper Craig Burt saved well.So the second goal never came Aberdeen huffed and puffed ,and Dunfermline came back with a great free kick equaliser from Paul Allan.Greg Tansey played the full game and his attitude and enthusiasm was good,sometimes overly so with a wee kick at a player and booked for dissent as he and the Aberdeen team became frustrated at not getting that clinching second goal.Tansey trademark long range passing looked good,yet the wind and the surface at Balmoral not helpful on occasions.Tony Docherty took in the game and would have been encouraged.Miko Virtanen played well and Archie Mair in goal is clearly a big Manuel Neuer fan with his sweeper  keeper skills.

Thanks for the report graham... good to hear Tansey did well, really need him to start pulling his weight.

If this is not sarcasm then give yourself a shake. It's very clear Tansey will not be playing again (barring an injury list of 10 players).

Coming from Tord31 of all people!   :laughing:

If there was no chance of Tansey playing again, surely he wouldn't be taking up a place in the reserves team?  One of the younger lads could've had a run...

As it were, we're in dire need of midfielder who can pass the ball!  I don't remotely think Tansey is the answer, but given our current deficiencies in the midfield, he should have something to offer.

Coming from Tord31 of all people! :laughing:

If there was no chance of Tansey playing again, surely he wouldn't be taking up a place in the reserves team? One of the younger lads could've had a run...

As it were, we're in dire need of midfielder who can pass the ball! I don't remotely think Tansey is the answer, but given our current deficiencies in the midfield, he should have something to offer.

We are playing him to get him ready for County, Caley, Dunfermline or the likes. We'll be flogging him to them half price in January.

Hopefully we get a bite.

Only way Tansey has a chance is if we change manager.

Miko Virtanen good going forward on the overlap.Not convinced he is a hard tackling right back.Good passer and better in midfield. Well done RUL with the SFA Youth Cup quarter final draw.Matches set for Friday 25th January. Good ties.Could you post the other two games as well please to complete the picture.Of the new u18s players Sean Linden is a speedy right winger and played for the Reserves yesterday and did quite well.

Dundee v celtic

Hibs v Queens Park.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd be surprised if Hoban or Reynolds play one of their first games on an artificial pitch

Reynolds said in The Sun today that he is unwilling to play on an artificial pitch again this season and possibly never again. ...........Don't think he will be joining Hamilton, Killie or Livi in the summer

MARK REYNOLDS is refusing to make his comeback at Hamilton because a plastic pitch has already wrecked his season.

The Dons defender ruptured his cruciate ligament last July in a game held to mark the opening of Cove Rangers’ new stadium.​

And Reynolds has no doubt the Highland League club’s artificial playing surface was responsible for the damage.​

Reynolds is fit and desperate to play again after slogging his way through a gruelling six months of rehab. ​

But he insists he won’t risk playing on plastic again this season and maybe beyond.​

He said: “In my opinion the plastic pitch was to blame, as I don’t think there is any give in them if you are turning or get caught with a tackle.​

“The force is going to follow the path of least resistance and obviously people have done their cruciate ligaments on grass but astroturf significantly increases the chances.​

“That’s the nature of the game and it’s not ideal but I do think if that game had been on grass I’d have had more of a chance of getting away with it instead of my studs locking into the astro.​

“For me it’s an entertainment industry and I don’t find it’s entertaining football playing on the astro pitches.​

“I can see why clubs have them in terms of the financial advantage. You also get an advantage if you train on it every day.​

“But I have never enjoyed playing on it and it’s not the same as playing on a good grass park.​

“I won’t play on them again this season as there is too high a chance of re-injury. I’ll take until the summer and speak to the physios to see where we go from there.​

“I need to look long term but obviously it’s a strong squad here with a lot of competition for places in the team.​

Reynolds’ decision means he will have to sit out next week’s Scottish Cup fourth round replay against Stenhousemuir on Ochilview’s plastic pitch.​

That may be sensible in the circumstances but it will only further frustrate someone who’s been sidelined for so long.​

Especially, given that fellow defenders Mikey Devlin, Scott McKenna, Andy Considine and Tommie Hoban were also out at various stages during his six-month absence.​

That lay-off and the fact centre-back Joe Shaughnessy is returning from St Johnstone in the summer leaves someone in his eighth year at Pittodrie still to convince Derek McInnes to extend that stay.​

Reynolds revealed: “I am in my last year. I haven’t spoken to the gaffer yet but I have never hidden the fact that I enjoy my time here.

“I will sit down with the manager but he has been respectful and let me get on with my injury. He has other boys to get sorted out first and I am in no hurry. ​

“When the time comes we will have that discussion and we will see where we go.”

Reynolds said in The Sun today that he is unwilling to play on an artificial pitch again this season and possibly never again. ...........Don't think he will be joining Hamilton, Killie or Livi in the summer

MARK REYNOLDS is refusing to make his comeback at Hamilton because a plastic pitch has already wrecked his season.

The Dons defender ruptured his cruciate ligament last July in a game held to mark the opening of Cove Rangers’ new stadium.​

And Reynolds has no doubt the Highland League club’s artificial playing surface was responsible for the damage.​

Reynolds is fit and desperate to play again after slogging his way through a gruelling six months of rehab. ​

But he insists he won’t risk playing on plastic again this season and maybe beyond.​

He said: “In my opinion the plastic pitch was to blame, as I don’t think there is any give in them if you are turning or get caught with a tackle.​

“The force is going to follow the path of least resistance and obviously people have done their cruciate ligaments on grass but astroturf significantly increases the chances.​

“That’s the nature of the game and it’s not ideal but I do think if that game had been on grass I’d have had more of a chance of getting away with it instead of my studs locking into the astro.​

“For me it’s an entertainment industry and I don’t find it’s entertaining football playing on the astro pitches.​

“I can see why clubs have them in terms of the financial advantage. You also get an advantage if you train on it every day.​

“But I have never enjoyed playing on it and it’s not the same as playing on a good grass park.​

“I won’t play on them again this season as there is too high a chance of re-injury. I’ll take until the summer and speak to the physios to see where we go from there.​

“I need to look long term but obviously it’s a strong squad here with a lot of competition for places in the team.​

Reynolds’ decision means he will have to sit out next week’s Scottish Cup fourth round replay against Stenhousemuir on Ochilview’s plastic pitch.​

That may be sensible in the circumstances but it will only further frustrate someone who’s been sidelined for so long.​

Especially, given that fellow defenders Mikey Devlin, Scott McKenna, Andy Considine and Tommie Hoban were also out at various stages during his six-month absence.​

That lay-off and the fact centre-back Joe Shaughnessy is returning from St Johnstone in the summer leaves someone in his eighth year at Pittodrie still to convince Derek McInnes to extend that stay.​

Reynolds revealed: “I am in my last year. I haven’t spoken to the gaffer yet but I have never hidden the fact that I enjoy my time here.

“I will sit down with the manager but he has been respectful and let me get on with my injury. He has other boys to get sorted out first and I am in no hurry. ​

“When the time comes we will have that discussion and we will see where we go.”

Who cares.