Our Spl Rivals

Now the season is over and we are thinking about a new Dons side and our prospects for next year, it will be insteresting to see how our rivals fare over the summer and how they will look next year.

•  
  • Rankin has just signed for United, which for them will be a totally underwhelming signing given that he couldn't get a game for Hibs and isn anywhere near Buabin and Gomis. Evildick & Conway and other talents will be departing with no money to replace their calibre.
  • Hearts are signing the unwanted Plug off us, and Kyle's knee seems irrepairable. Vlad will impale JJ at some point...
  • Hibs are losing Riorden and Liam Miller - Motherwell have dipped since Mr Brown came to us (SC Cup final was a formality for SMcC).
  • Caley have let a number go and will lose Rooney - St.Johnstone have let 9 go and McInnes will be leaving pretty soon as well.
  • Killie are in serious sh*t now that Mixu has gone and Eremenko will be going to play at a higher level, and St.Mirren have Danny Lennon as manager.
  • I reckon Dunfermline will make the top 6, given their goals for last year.

Who knows who they will all recruit but there seems to be a cutting back of budgets (whilst we apppear to have a good ammount to recruit decent quality) and this will surely hamper teams like the Arabs and Hibs. Hearts have potential to implode and i'm not convinced my McCall at MWell at all.

IF the Gaffer and Archie can recruit well this summer on the decent budget they have (which could swell with Aluko and Maguire leaving?) then I think we will fare very well against most teams this season bar the OF.

Its the usually yoyo SPL where a non OF team has a good season, followed by a poor season, followed by a good season. I fully expect us to get comfortably in the top 5 because of this! I can see Hibs still struggling next season though, bottom 6 beckons!

Relegation next year will be tough to call. I hope St Mirren go down though.

Its the usually yoyo SPL where a non OF team has a good season, followed by a poor season, followed by a good season. I fully expect us to get comfortably in the top 5 because of this! I can see Hibs still struggling next season though, bottom 6 beckons!

Relegation next year will be tough to call. I hope St Mirren go down though.

Not sure about Hibs - I think they could do better next season - they had a good bounce when Calderwood arrived and he is going to be able to move out a lot of the players that Yogi couldn't.

Calderwood may have knowledge of a lot of good players down South and they're not afraid to pay a fee if they need to to get the right player - they arguable have a stronger hand than us and I would imagine find it easier to persuade a player to move to Edinburgh than we would to Aberdeen, which as we all know is approx 2000 miles North of Trondheim.

Now the season is over and we are thinking about a new Dons side and our prospects for next year, it will be insteresting to see how our rivals fare over the summer and how they will look next year.

•  
  • Rankin has just signed for United, which for them will be a totally underwhelming signing given that he couldn't get a game for Hibs and isn anywhere near Buabin and Gomis. Evildick & Conway and other talents will be departing with no money to replace their calibre.
  • Hearts are signing the unwanted Plug off us, and Kyle's knee seems irrepairable. Vlad will impale JJ at some point...
  • Hibs are losing Riorden and Liam Miller - Motherwell have dipped since Mr Brown came to us (SC Cup final was a formality for SMcC).
  • Caley have let a number go and will lose Rooney - St.Johnstone have let 9 go and McInnes will be leaving pretty soon as well.
  • Killie are in serious sh*t now that Mixu has gone and Eremenko will be going to play at a higher level, and St.Mirren have Danny Lennon as manager.

Who knows who they will all recruit but there seems to be a cutting back of budgets (whilst we apppear to have a good ammount to recruit decent quality) and this will surely hamper teams like the Arabs and Hibs. Hearts have potential to implode and i'm not convinced my McCall at MWell at all.

IF the Gaffer and Archie can recruit well this summer on the decent budget they have (which could swell with Aluko and Maguire leaving?) then I think we will fare very well against most teams this season bar the OF.

The bit in bold is so true, as I think Gus McPherson got a right raw deal when he got the dunt from them, he was a decent manager

• Site Sponsor

There is a reasonable chance of that, but I am still in despair at Langfield signing.

There is a reasonable chance of that, but I am still in despair at Langfield signing.

Same goes for me!

Brown baffles me, he is promising us a new exciting team next season, yet he re-signs Langfield, he is also desperate for maguire to stay, then he tells us we still have Mackie & Foster to come back!

I despair!

Same goes for me!

Brown baffles me, he is promising us a new exciting team next season, yet he re-signs Langfield, he is also desperate for maguire to stay, then he tells us we still have Mackie & Foster to come back!

I despair!

Dramatic and completely lacking in perspective . Foster will be a decent player to have back . He has played in a title winning side . He has pace and versatility which is useful in a small squad . Mackie will be good backup - experienced and fights for the cause . Brown has these 2 under contract next season , do you expect him to slag them off ?

He has re-signed Langfield for one season - see the Langfield thread for possible reasons why .

Miserable feckers some folk on here , any excuse for a moan .

Not sure about Hibs - I think they could do better next season - they had a good bounce when Calderwood arrived and he is going to be able to move out a lot of the players that Yogi couldn't.

Calderwood may have knowledge of a lot of good players down South and they're not afraid to pay a fee if they need to to get the right player - they arguable have a stronger hand than us and I would imagine find it easier to persuade a player to move to Edinburgh than we would to Aberdeen, which as we all know is approx 2000 miles North of Trondheim.

They just signed Ivan Sproule again. Hopefully that is as good as it gets for them and it will be relegation fodder next season.

•  

:applause: :applause:

Well said some room for optimisim after all

Dramatic and completely lacking in perspective . Foster will be a decent player to have back . He has played in a title winning side . He has pace and versatility which is useful in a small squad . Mackie will be good backup - experienced and fights for the cause . Brown has these 2 under contract next season , do you expect him to slag them off ?

He has re-signed Langfield for one season - see the Langfield thread for possible reasons why .

ffs :suicide:

Foster was nothing more than a bit part player for Rangers! he might look not bad when playing with decent players, but he was awful when he played for us! We can only hope he has raised his game whilst he has been away.

Mackie had already lost his pace before he got injured, his one real attribute! I would only imagine it will be very difficult for him to feature next season.

Maguire has the odd good game, but as we have seen over a sustained period of time he is not good enough (imo)

I dont expect Brown to come out and slate any of his players, but dont tell me in one breath that we are going to have a new exciting team next season, and then on the other it is going to involve Langfield, Maguire and mackie!

Foster was nothing more than a bit part player for Rangers! he might look not bad when playing with decent players, but he was awful when he played for us! We can only hope he has raised his game whilst he has been away.

Mackie had already lost his pace before he got injured, his one real attribute! I would only imagine it will be very difficult for him to feature next season.

Maguire has the odd good game, but as we have seen over a sustained period of time he is not good enough (imo)

I dont expect Brown to come out and slate any of his players, but dont tell me in one breath that we are going to have a new exciting team next season, and then on the other it is going to involve Langfield, Maguire and mackie!

My point was all this jumping to conclusions just to have a go at Brown . You dont know who is going to be in Browns starting 11 next year , neither do I . Whats the point in having an OTT reaction like you have had .

[*]Rankin has just signed for United, which for them will be a totally underwhelming signing given that he couldn't get a game for Hibs and isn anywhere near Buabin and Gomis. Evildick & Conway and other talents will be departing with no money to replace their calibre.

Thanks for telling me how I should be feeling.

For the record, I am a bit non-plussed about Rankin signing but then no new signing inspires me these days. I was also non-plussed about Gomis, Conway, Buaben, Swanson, etc., when we plucked them from nowhere and they turned out to be good signings.

Losing Conway is a big loss (he's off to Rangers by all accounts) and we will struggle to replace him but Johnny Russell is a hell a of player and is ready to step into Goodie's two shoes (get it?!?! lol) if/when he goes. Buaben played more than Gomis this season so losing Gomis ain't that bad either - Gomis' best game was the Hearts on Sunday. Buaben was decent but the lack of goals we got from our midfield should show that maybe change was needed.

It was sad however, to watch our cup-winning squad break-up on Sunday. It's not every year Dundee United win a trophy.

I'm happy with our perforamnce this season. We played for 2 months with full-backs as our entire defence (Dixon most def ain't a centre half!!) and we won 6 league games on the bounce at one point (including winning at Ibrox - again!) and finished only 2 points worse off than we did last year. Not bad in my opinion.

Anyhoo, have a good summer and see you next season.

BFA

I'm happy with our perforamnce this season. We played for 2 months with full-backs as our entire defence (Dixon most def ain't a centre half!!) and we won 6 league games on the bounce at one point (including winning at Ibrox - again!) and finished only 2 points worse off than we did last year. Not bad in my opinion.

BFA

Aye well we played 4 centre backs for our defence for half the year and got gubbed every week :P

Cheers, have a good holiday, plenty lovely coastal towns to take yer caravan along to ;)

For the record, I am a bit non-plussed about Rankin signing but then no new signing inspires me these days. I was also non-plussed about Gomis, Conway, Buaben, Swanson, etc., when we plucked them from nowhere and they turned out to be good signings.

Losing Conway is a big loss (he's off to Rangers by all accounts) and we will struggle to replace him but Johnny Russell is a hell a of player and is ready to step into Goodie's two shoes (get it?!?! lol) if/when he goes. Buaben played more than Gomis this season so losing Gomis ain't that bad either - Gomis' best game was the Hearts on Sunday. Buaben was decent but the lack of goals we got from our midfield should show that maybe change was needed.

It was sad however, to watch our cup-winning squad break-up on Sunday. It's not every year Dundee United win a trophy.

BFA

I see your boy David Robertson just signed for St Johnstone - was he ok? Always thought he was....?

I see your boy David Robertson just signed for St Johnstone - was he ok? Always thought he was....?

Strange decision by him but wish him all the best. If you see the Dons vs St Johnstone next season, look out for him - he has a strange running style.

He did score a last-minute winner versus Rangers in the

at Tannadice last season. Always be remember for that. Wish him all the best.
  • Site Sponsor

You like Langfield, we don't. Get over it.

BFA

Fair post man - and no offence but i'm looking at things here with Dandy Shades on.

United are a victim of their own success, and had we had a season like you last year the same would have happened to us. You wouldn't swap it though, right?

The one downside for you apart from these quality players being picked off - is that a lot of Thomson family money paid for that 3rd finish and Cup Win - and it has ceased with immiediate effect.

So thats a slight problem going forward - hence the John Rankin signing.

What the f**k has rhetoric got to do with the price of oatmeal? Who needs to consider "both sides" of an argument?

There's only one issue here. Is Clangers good enough for AFC?

If you think he is, either you're not watching the same games as we've been doing these last seven years or you know f**k all about fitba.

How can it be "tired" to repeat facts about a fool that has been holding us back for years?

By considering both sides of the argument I simply meant not just focussing on the things that support your argument and ignoring anything to the contrary - confirmation bias I believe its called !

I am not the biggest fan of Langfield . However it is the OTT responses from some along the lines of "I've now lost support in Brown" etc etc that piss me off (I know you havent said this within the thread but others have .

I'm not focusing or ignoring anything. I just despair that three successive managers of our once great club, ably managed by a director of football (sic) and assisted by a goalkeeping specialist (who himself never had a dedicated coach) can actually continue with Langfield year after year after year. If it's obvious to me and very many of us that Clangers is an utter liability then why isn't it obvious to all of them? Oh, of course, they're football people. They're professionals. They know better than us... my arse.

I know what you mean in some ways , I really do . I just trust Brown and was annoyed that some others saw this 1 year contract as a reason to completely drop their support for him . Thats all .

• Site Sponsor

Not a question of getting over it . I dont even think Langfield is great . Its just unlike some I am willing to look at both sides of the argument and not just repeat the same old tired rhetoric about someone .

I have had a consistent position since he arrived here. I don't believe that he is anywhere near good enough for my club.

He had never been a number one keeper anywhere else and I know why.

• Site Sponsor

I know what you mean in some ways , I really do . I just trust Brown and was annoyed that some others saw this 1 year contract as a reason to completely drop their support for him . Thats all .

Ok, well I'm excluded from that. However I see no reason to question why Langfield has been kept on, although at least it is only a one year deal. One year too many but hopefully Brown knows he will have to do something.