Boxing Fans

Guest SS RED

personally I thought Froch is a good domestic boxer bt will get beat badly off a top boxer. Calzaghe will beat him up. roy Jones or BHop would KTFO of Froch

McAllister is a tidy domestic boxer, hes a nice guy and good local hero.

But to put him in with Khan would be folly, and he could get hurt. He needs to step up to Alex Arthur/Limond class before he takes on Khan.

Totally agree in regards to Froch but could see a lot of top boxers dodging him.

I don't see why it'd be folly? Less folly than putting Khan in with a big hitter.

It's still a championship that Khan would love to hold.

True, but do you really think, putting aside loyalty to McAllister, that he would last more than a few rounds with Khan?

Im sure Khan would have the belt, but I imagine he will go for the world titles, or quit. the title that McAllister has is only contested by domestic boxers mostly. Not slagging it off, good acheivement, but nonetheless a second rate belt.

Fatton? He'd knock Khan out, easily.

probably. would elbow and headbutt him into submission. Na.. Hatton would beat Khan ATM.

@Douchebag:

You make a lot of valid points, of that I have no doubt. However, you are confusing all those who oppose you with armchair warriors who have no first-hand knowledge of the sport. I do not fit into this category. To say that I am ill-informed in any way is wrong. I am a long-time Thai Kick-Boxer (widely regarded as the hardest stand-up fighting art around) and have several fights under my belt, albeit at Club level.

Due to having my career interrupted by 2 serious injuries (one to my lower back a few years ago and a serious knee injury a year ago) I have not reached the heights of which we are discussing. However, after several ops and endless months of painful physio, I am going on to compete at National and International level in 2009. So without trying to sound like an authority on ring sports, I'm sure you can appreciate where I'm coming from when I say I know what I'm talking about and am a very good judge of a fighter. I have after all been trained by and sparred with several World Champions and Masters.

As I said above, you do make several good points. I am not doubting that Khan has the ability to go all the way. I am saying that he has been overhyped and rushed through the rankings, to the detriment of his development as a fighter. Lennox Lewis, who you cite as an example, was an Olympic medallist who learned his craft and, after taking the long hard route to success, peaked in his early 30's. I don't think he was one of the very best Heavyweights of all time, but he is a great example of a wonderful ambassador for the sport and a fine example for the likes of Khan to follow.

Calzaghe is another, although I have to point out that, impressive though his victories over Hopkins and Jones were, they came 3/4 years after these fighters passed their peak. Hopkins would have been a far tougher test back then and I'm not sure he'd have beaten Jones when he was firing on all cylinders. More interestingly, would he have taken Benn, Eubank and Collins? That would have been AWESOME to see him go up against them 3.

True, but do you really think, putting aside loyalty to McAllister, that he would last more than a few rounds with Khan?

Im sure Khan would have the belt, but I imagine he will go for the world titles, or quit. the title that McAllister has is only contested by domestic boxers mostly. Not slagging it off, good acheivement, but nonetheless a second rate belt.

probably. would elbow and headbutt him into submission. Na.. Hatton would beat Khan ATM.

Theres only one way to find out.

@Douchebag:

You make a lot of valid points, of that I have no doubt. However, you are confusing all those who oppose you with armchair warriors who have no first-hand knowledge of the sport. I do not fit into this category. To say that I am ill-informed in any way is wrong. I am a long-time Thai Kick-Boxer (widely regarded as the hardest stand-up fighting art around) and have several fights under my belt, albeit at Club level.

Due to having my career interrupted by 2 serious injuries (one to my lower back a few years ago and a serious knee injury a year ago) I have not reached the heights of which we are discussing. However, after several ops and endless months of painful physio, I am going on to compete at National and International level in 2009. So without trying to sound like an authority on ring sports, I'm sure you can appreciate where I'm coming from when I say I know what I'm talking about and am a very good judge of a fighter. I have after all been trained by and sparred with several World Champions and Masters.

As I said above, you do make several good points. I am not doubting that Khan has the ability to go all the way. I am saying that he has been overhyped and rushed through the rankings, to the detriment of his development as a fighter. Lennox Lewis, who you cite as an example, was an Olympic medallist who learned his craft and, after taking the long hard route to success, peaked in his early 30's. I don't think he was one of the very best Heavyweights of all time, but he is a great example of a wonderful ambassador for the sport and a fine example for the likes of Khan to follow.

Calzaghe is another, although I have to point out that, impressive though his victories over Hopkins and Jones were, they came 3/4 years after these fighters passed their peak. Hopkins would have been a far tougher test back then and I'm not sure he'd have beaten Jones when he was firing on all cylinders. More interestingly, would he have taken Benn, Eubank and Collins? That would have been AWESOME to see him go up against them 3.

Sir, always an able and gifted opponent in the art of argument, I offer condolences for your injuries. I suffered from a bad muscle in my back in my youth, which ended any sporting aspirations of my own. Indeed I also did " a bit o the boxing", although upon realisation that my reactions are those of an elephant, and recieving a number of beatings, i decided that it wasnt for me, although Ill always respect any fighter who gets in a ring. Most people who have attended an amateur or local bout will understand, after getting sprayed with some poor guys blood and disintegrated septum, while munching on chicken in a basket, that indeed boxing is a brutal unforgiving occupation. Few boxers make it to the end without some kind of physical or mental manifestation of the injuries they sustain. Television detaches the viewer from the reality of what they are witnessing. In that respect I offer apologies to those who may get offended by my curt responses, they are not intended to provoke, but to enlighten.

As usual, I feel we generally agree on the subject, while disagreeing over minutae. On that note I will dispute your feelings that Khan was over-hyped. Only fair to say this after he has been knocked out. Pre-Prescott, Khan was generally presented as the future of British boxing. Quite rightly so, as I have described in my posts, that Khan presents us a talent of a scale not seen since Hamed. And personally I believe he is a better boxer than Hamed. Hamed remains a legend, robbed of his title by the ODLH mob and his steroid pumped crones. however there were never any doubts abut the Prince's chin. Hamed was a beast, Khan is not. Hamed is the only of the recent british boxers to hold a proper title having taken on the best at the peak of their careers. I agree Calzaghe is a weak champion, and dodged, or was dodged by, the top fighters in their prime. Calzaghe is a good boxer, and I think he would have beated both Eubank and Benn. How he would have faired against Steve Collins, and indeed my personal favourite, Micheal Watson, or the other greats he missed out on, like Mike MCallum, Terry Norris, even the aging Hearns, and all those great middleweight generation just passed. I think he would have lost many fights, but its all guesswork in reality.

I sense a growing frustration of Khans hometown boy lack of charisma. Too nice? Frank Bruno all over again? Perhaps. Or is it that he talks intemately about the fight he has just partaken of? Does his almost instant appraisal of his performance, just lose too many of the viewing public? Most would rather hear some Benn-like punchdrunk ramble about queen and country. For boxing brings out the worst in nationalistic traits in all people. A few beers later and the reserved business man in his suit is rambling on about "batter the paki" or "punch his english face in". Some would say his nursing through the ranks parallels with Bruno, and his fate at the end of the road will be the same as Bruno. Knocked out by a real nutter. I remember we all watched big Frank, hoping he would win, but that sinking feeling that he would get get tagged and would do that statled rabbit in headlights thing. Indeed we have already seen Khan do the "new born doe" leg wobble thing a few times now. Khan does lack an edge. He goes out to box first, and entertain. He shows the naivity of a young man, brought up in a stable mild mannered family, where boxing is considered an sporting artform, rather than a way out of a pitiful existence, or defence against a drunken abusive father, that someone like Brediss Prescott presents to us. Such sentimants are noble, but not shared by the likes of Tyson, Hagler or Pacquiao, for whom entertainment is/was a side issue to winning. Indeed we have just witnessed the end of De La Hoya, who was the king of spoiling a fight and making a fight a non-event. He had his merits, his footwork was sublime, ability to box on the back foot was unbelievable, as Chaves found out. Buti the end it was all about winning, not about entertaining the baying crowd. Khan must detach himself from the public, they must serve him, rather than him serving them. Saturday shows this. The Roach corner asked him to "string it out, get some practice" but he couldnt do it. He tried, and he could have won in the first round, but held back. In the end his desire to entertain the baying crowd was too strong, and he finished the guy with a wicked combo.

Lewis did it, detached himself, he didnt want to be another Bruno, a pawn in the boxing political scene, he self promoted, and broke the rules. This is Khans mountain to climb. his worst enemy is the british press, people like Warren, and the overexpectant public. I hope he continues to train with Roach and I think in a year or two he will be ready for Hatton etc.

There would be more money to be made in rematches in America than a fight over ehre with Froch.

dunno, the Calzaghe v RJJ only pulled in about 120,000 ppv customers. He made a few quid but expected more.

And he made buttons out of his time with Warren. apparently his biggest purse was 500k from the Hopkins fight, due to a package deal he signed a few years previous.

so I wouldnt be surprised if he fights Froch in Cardiff as another self promoted earner retirment fight.

Announcing his plans after xmas apparently.

Sir, always an able and gifted opponent in the art of argument, I offer condolences for your injuries. I suffered from a bad muscle in my back in my youth, which ended any sporting aspirations of my own. Indeed I also did " a bit o the boxing", although upon realisation that my reactions are those of an elephant, and recieving a number of beatings, i decided that it wasnt for me, although Ill always respect any fighter who gets in a ring.

No need to offer any condolences, although it is much appreciated. I was merely stating my "credentials" with regards to giving a knowledgeable, informed opinion on ring sports. In any case, I just had major surgery on that knee last week and, if all goes well, will be making a comeback in 2009. Thanks to pioneering reconstructive surgery, I at least have another chance to make my mark.

Most people who have attended an amateur or local bout will understand, after getting sprayed with some poor guys blood and disintegrated septum, while munching on chicken in a basket, that indeed boxing is a brutal unforgiving occupation. Few boxers make it to the end without some kind of physical or mental manifestation of the injuries they sustain. Television detaches the viewer from the reality of what they are witnessing.

Agreed. The self-righteous know-it-all views of some armchair fans never cease to amaze me. Sure, we are all entitled to an opinion, but some are so quick to readily dismiss someone who has taken their best shot and fell short, little realising just how much effort even journeymen fighters must make, in order to make it to the ring. After all, if they are so knowledgeable, why don't THEY get in there and see if they can do any better?

I agree Calzaghe is a weak champion, and dodged, or was dodged by, the top fighters in their prime. Calzaghe is a good boxer, and I think he would have beated both Eubank and Benn. How he would have faired against Steve Collins, and indeed my personal favourite, Micheal Watson, or the other greats he missed out on, like Mike MCallum, Terry Norris, even the aging Hearns, and all those great middleweight generation just passed. I think he would have lost many fights, but its all guesswork in reality.

I don't necessarily see Calzaghe as a "weak champion", but there is no denying that Hopkins and Jones Jr. were both at least 3, maybe 4, years past their peak when he fought them. While not denying that Joe has the ability to beat them both in their prime, by the same token the fights could both have gone the other way. I don't think he would have beaten Stev Collins, though. The Irishman was ajoy to watch.

I sense a growing frustration of Khans hometown boy lack of charisma. Too nice? Frank Bruno all over again? Perhaps. Or is it that he talks intemately about the fight he has just partaken of? Does his almost instant appraisal of his performance, just lose too many of the viewing public?

Some would say his nursing through the ranks parallels with Bruno, and his fate at the end of the road will be the same as Bruno. Knocked out by a real nutter. I remember we all watched big Frank, hoping he would win, but that sinking feeling that he would get get tagged and would do that statled rabbit in headlights thing.

Frank Bruno. A name from the past. Had a devastating punch, but no heart (even stunned Tyson, but hadn't the killer instinct to finish him off, hence why he was then taken apart). Much as I liked the guy, he wasn't good enough to leave a legacy as a great.

Lewis did it, detached himself, he didnt want to be another Bruno, a pawn in the boxing political scene, he self promoted, and broke the rules. This is Khans mountain to climb. his worst enemy is the british press, people like Warren, and the overexpectant public. I hope he continues to train with Roach and I think in a year or two he will be ready for Hatton etc.

As I said before, Lewis was a wonderful ambassador for the sport, but he was Champion during what was then the weakest era for Heavyweight boxing. The Tyson he beat was a shadow of the old Iron Mike and had he met the TRUE Tyson of old, I think he would have been demolished in 4 or 5 rounds. I also think the likes of George Foreman and Larry Holmes would have triumphed over him.

would be a nice earner for him but likesay hope he dont get hurt cos these top guys punch at another level.

You wouldnt put him in with Hatton would you? Or Pacquiao? He could get a serious beating and mismatches are very dangerous i boxing.

No I wouldn't because tey are on another level. But I'd say there isn't much between Khan and McAllister.

Money? Lots of it? Not a lot of other fights out there.

Calzaghe has not made a vast fortune out of boxing, he needs some more fights.

He was in a position to reject 5 million from froch before he won on satrday so i imagine he has a nice little nest egg tucked away

Frank Bruno. A name from the past. Had a devastating punch, but no heart (even stunned Tyson, but hadn't the killer instinct to finish him off, hence why he was then taken apart). Much as I liked the guy, he wasn't good enough to leave a legacy as a great.

poor Frank, give him a break. nothing wrong with his heart.

He had a lot of flaws but not a lack of heart.

Never got put down did big Frank. Just used to get knocked out on his feet and stand there getting punched.

Still remember the night he beat McCall. Superb.

poor Frank, give him a break. nothing wrong with his heart.

He had a lot of flaws but not a lack of heart.

Never got put down did big Frank. Just used to get knocked out on his feet and stand there getting punched.

Still remember the night he beat McCall. Superb.

I was delighted for him when he beat McCall, but there was really no way back for him when he lost his first defence, was there? Shame, as he was a top bloke. The Boxing world is all the poorer for not having characters like him in it anymore.

yup

I remember everyone would say that they could knock out frank bruno down the pub :itch-chin:

was on the end of some right hidings. felt sorry for him, must have been painful.

heres some youtube bruno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzztqsUySoE check out the uppercut Lewis lands at the end...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VsVHiyE_W4 tyson 1 8:40 Bruno headbutts the ref by accident :fishing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU6PWkCC06w Tyson 2 watch Iron Mike give Bruno a cuddle at the end :hysterical:

no youtube of the Witherspoon beating

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP3syxlaF_U beats mcCall

• 4 weeks later...