Tv Series

1 hour ago, Jocky Balboa said:

I've been running back through my DVD box set of 24 lately. It was a fantastic show, which still holds up well today, but what's clear is that it started very well, then peaked at S5 and went sharply downhill afterwards, with too many formulaic plots and recycled twists. 

I'd have to disagree. It holds up really badly for me. We watched Season 1 during Covid and it was ridiculous. It was a 13 episode a season show at best that they stretched to 24 episodes where they had to do ridiculous things with some of the character. Having said that it did have some absolutely blinding moments and they weren't averse to killing characters (just not Chloe) but the least secure place in the world and where more deaths occurred than a concentration camp was the Counter Terrorism Unit in Los Angeles.

15 hours ago, dj_bollocks said:

I'd have to disagree. It holds up really badly for me. We watched Season 1 during Covid and it was ridiculous. It was a 13 episode a season show at best that they stretched to 24 episodes where they had to do ridiculous things with some of the character. Having said that it did have some absolutely blinding moments and they weren't averse to killing characters (just not Chloe) but the least secure place in the world and where more deaths occurred than a concentration camp was the Counter Terrorism Unit in Los Angeles.

I totally see where you're coming from and, on balance, I half agree. Originally, the format was something different for its time, but the first two seasons were clearly padded out via distracting story arcs (i.e. Jack's annoying, naive daughter getting herself into ridiculous situations) in order to 'make up the time', as it were. For me, it peaked on S3-S5 where the pacing improved, even if there were still some ridiculous 'twists' along the way.

It's from S6 onwards that it became tired and formulaic, repeating old scenarios; nuclear threats, internal moles, a sacrificial lamb, capture key bad guy and President offers immunity in exchange, Jack gets betrayed by an ally, yada yada yada. 

The revival season was pretty good and benefitted from the slimmed-down 12 episode format, but the formula was already exhausted by then. There's been rumours of another comeback, but it's hard to see where it could go from here.

21 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

I've been running back through my DVD box set of 24 lately. It was a fantastic show, which still holds up well today, but what's clear is that it started very well, then peaked at S5 and went sharply downhill afterwards, with too many formulaic plots and recycled twists. 

S2 was my favourite.

On 9/1/2023 at 6:01 PM, Roberto said:

Who is Erin Carter was an easy watch.

Have watched the first 5 episodes. Agree its an easy watch but extremely far fetched, the amount of beatings she takes in the first 3 episodes.. .thrown off walls, cuts all over her face, hit with all sorts, kicks and punches to the stomach... and her husband, kid and friends don't notice anything.