Pet Hates

StandFree1982

8 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Correct. Any decent tradesman with a reputable company won’t need money up front. 

Why are tradesmen expected to provide goods and services without payment in advance? I take Dazzy’s point about larger projects with contracts in place, but I sure as fuck wouldn’t be ordering anything or arranging installation without payment. Pretty sure the last carpet I had fitted had to be paid in full at the point of ordering too. Our food shopping also has to be paid at order.

3 minutes ago, milne_afc said:

Why are tradesmen expected to provide goods and services without payment in advance? I take Dazzy’s point about larger projects with contracts in place, but I sure as fuck wouldn’t be ordering anything or arranging installation without payment. Pretty sure the last carpet I had fitted had to be paid in full at the point of ordering too. Our food shopping also has to be paid at order.

That's maybe because you arent a reputable contractor? Why should somebody pay for a joiner to hang a door before hes hung the door. 

Carpets you pay the shop to purchase the carpet and usually get free fitting included. So you arent paying a tradesman for services. 

Food shop you only pay at point of ordering if you order online - which is the same as any online purchase. Go into the shop and you pay as you leave the shop with the goods. 

12 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

That's maybe because you arent a reputable contractor?

That’s slanderous. I take deposits at a minimum of 50% almost every day and never had my reputation questioned.

12 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

Why should somebody pay for a joiner to hang a door before hes hung the door. 

Not a great example as doors are typically ‘off the shelf’ and nobody’s getting screwed for 1000s, as per Fridge’s original point, for hanging a door.

15 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

Carpets you pay the shop to purchase the carpet and usually get free fitting included. So you arent paying a tradesman for services. 

It’s not ‘free’ really. It’s just a marketing ploy.

17 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

Food shop you only pay at point of ordering if you order online - which is the same as any online purchase. Go into the shop and you pay as you leave the shop with the goods. 

As I said. Just asking why someone who comes to your home to provide a service is expected to be treated differently.