• 1 month later...

Just read Albert Camus - The Outsider

WOW

O

W

Enjoyed that very much, cheers for putting it up.

Fat Chance: The hidden truth about sugar, obesity and disease by Dr Robert Lustig

Quite enjoyed reading about how Americans are slowly killing themselves with the poison that is sugar and processed foods.

Enjoyed that very much, cheers for putting it up.

Fat Chance: The hidden truth about sugar, obesity and disease by Dr Robert Lustig

Quite enjoyed reading about how Americans are slowly killing themselves with the poison that is sugar and processed foods.

I just received a book called 'The mersault investigation' which uses the same story but retold from the POV of the arabs brother.

I haven't read it yet but I'll let you know

Currently reading Will Self's - Dorian. A modern take on my favourite book, Dorian Gray,

Which if you haven't read, Hatters, you really should have.

Guest milne_afc

Dorian. A modern take on my favourite book, Dorian Gray,

Which if you haven't read, Hatters, you really should have.

Seen the film.

Actually knew about the book beforehand before realising it was available in technicolour - which saved me about 1 week's reading time.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished 'On the beach' - Nevil Shute

Russia and China nuke each other to death and human kind is dying from the spreading radiation. A story about one of the last cities, waiting to die. Interesting. I enjoyed it.

Now about to start 'A Rebours' by Huysmans. Decadence. I'm looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Lord of the Flies.

I don't know if it's a book for children or not, but I really enjoyed it and one of the scenes when the lad, Simon has the vision/epileptic fit was really terrifying.

I often find that good works of fiction often present opinions and outlooks to show us some fundamental truth in life.

The main message I got from this book was that; you can get life on your own terms - you're always in a position to choose how you see the world and how you conduct yourself.

I know this is not exactly earth-shattering stuff, bit it's the kind of idea that can get lost in amongst the business of every-day life.

Just finished Lord of the Flies.

I don't know if it's a book for children or not, but I really enjoyed it and one of the scenes when the lad, Simon has the vision/epileptic fit was really terrifying.

I often find that good works of fiction often present opinions and outlooks to show us some fundamental truth in life.

The main message I got from this book was that; you can get life on your own terms - you're always in a position to choose how you see the world and how you conduct yourself.

I know this is not exactly earth-shattering stuff, bit it's the kind of idea that can get lost in amongst the business of every-day life.

Did this one at school!

If I remember right do they kind of go feral and end up in two different tribes?

It was on the school curriculum back in the day. Everyone did it, and yes they do splinter off in to 2 tribes, until there is only 1 of them left - Ralph. All the kids are drawn to the power of the stronger, vicious tribe and they try to kill him.

Very good read from what I remember.

Seem to remember Ralph being called Piggy and a rather large shell,a conch?

Ralph was the leader and Piggy was his wee fat asthmatic sidekick with the glasses. The "others" steal his glasses to start fires. When there is only Ralph and Piggy left they go to offer a truce and Piggy is killed when they drop a boulder on him from the mountain, deliberately.

Yea the conch brought order when it was blown. Like a school bell. When they were having discussions only the person holding it could talk.

2 films were made of the story.

Great memory you've got!

Piggy is holding the conch when the boulder hits him and kills him - it also shatters the conch so [i think] the idea is that ordered speaking to pursue intellectual objectives is gone - everything becomes based on raw power and animalistic instincts.

I was shocked when Piggy got killed. We never even got told his actual name.

Me too. I had never thought about not knowing his name - was it because that would make him easier to reject later on - sheer intellectualism crumbling in the midst of base needs and desires. He 'was' only as other people referred to him i.e. through a nick name, rather than reflecting his own distinct self?

I really liked it.

Me too. It conveys a lot about human morality and social structure but it isn't preachy, political or utopian. No mean feat!