1 hour ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Just finished the 3rd Ambrose Parry book (pseudonym for Christopher Brookmyer and his wife) which was excellent.

Now onto "There Is Nothing for You Here: Finding Opportunity in the Twenty-First Century" by Fiona Hill which is proving to be every bit as depressing (but excellent) as the title would suggest.

Ha ha ha. Just looked up the Fiona Hill book - looks interesting. Bob Woodward's book on Trump was great.

2 minutes ago, Peachandblack said:

Ha ha ha. Just looked up the Fiona Hill book - looks interesting. Bob Woodward's book on Trump was great.

Thats the thing though, while Trump launched his usual tirade towards her when she announced that she was doing a book, it isn't about Trump at all and more about the people, and why, they vote for the likes of Trump, Brexit etc.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished Project Hail Mary... surprisingly liked it even more than The Martian.

Ryan fucking Gosling chosen for the part of the Astronaut in the movie, though, which is a bit shite. Might as well have Borat in the lead role. 

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Currently reading "Sons of the Reich: II SS Panzer Corps" by Michael Reynolds.

(Following on from "Men of Steel: I SS Panzer Corps" but the same author).

Great stuff for military history fans.

Though the Waffen-SS is controversial, as an arm of the repugnant Nazi regime, Reynolds is dispassionate and fair and does acknowledge they were extraordinarily good quality troops.

The black legend states that this was because they all nazi zealots, hugely brainwashed and politicised with racial theories of their own germanic superiority. 

In fact this is not wholly true and that stuff ended fairly early on:  from 1943 (if not earlier) their replacements were increasingly foreign volunteers, conscripted ethnic germans from conquered or allied territories, or ground crews / dock workers from the air force or navy (who had nothing to do, as those services declined).  Anything they could get really, as the war turned and Germany became increasingly desperate.

What amazes me is their ability to take this rag tag assortment of men - who typically were not nazis, or even Germans - who had no infantry training, and within a very short time successfully integrate them into formidable combat units, often in the field.  I guess it shows the central role of the quality of leadership and of creating a sense of 'esprit de corps' in military service.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Grays Babylon 1875 said:

Embellished to high fuck.

Good shit though.

There was talk of a movie. 

I could play Linbaba.   Morelos would be Prabukar. 

Tv series has been done by apple i'm led to believe? But aye, a load of shite by a fantasist. good read though... I've got Mountain Shadow aswell to read.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Grays Babylon 1875 said:

The Forgotten Highlander.

One of your lot gets captured in Singapore and forced to work as a slave building the Death Railway.  Grim reading.   Twisted little fuckers them Jappo soldiers.

This made me smile, if a little RACIST.  Bravery and a sense of humour will get you far in life, but not always.

Screenshot-20220513-135223-Gallery.jpg

Good read that , the boy was from Aberdeen 

He only recently passed away